Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Counterstrike global offensive.
Counterstrike global offensive.
2012-03-10, 7:12 PM #1
So, who here is in the CS:GO beta.

I got into the recent lot of invites, and also have a beta invite to give to someone (On the steam forums some of them go for quite a bit, as in some people have given skyrim for one, and remember this is a key for just the beta, not the actual game when it comes out).

The current mode being tested (this is an actual beta test, as in look for bugs, give valve feedback as to what is good, and what could be improved) is interesting, being that you get better guns if you get kills in a round. Also, you can take over bots if you have died in a round (though the kills will be credited to the bots). Though there dont seem to be that many Aussie players at the moment.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2012-03-10, 7:17 PM #2
Q&A with my new Who Wants To Buy My Invite
2012-03-10, 7:23 PM #3
24/7 office insta-respawn for life
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-03-10, 8:22 PM #4
CS 1.6 is one of the greatest competative games of all time. I played it in a **** load of leagues back in the day and I purchase ESEA to find pugs on private servers or scrim with my scrim team of friends. I hated CS:Source and I am very cautious about GO.

The game mode is a game mode that was modded into CS1.6 called "Gungame", its been around forever and is popular on public servers.
2012-03-10, 8:30 PM #5
BTW i would be honored if you gave me your GO beta key
2012-03-10, 8:35 PM #6
The real question is how good are the surf maps?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-03-10, 9:05 PM #7
No custom maps yet. Though the physics seem to be different enough that there probably won't be surf maps from the start. Though given the way the source engine works, it wouldnt suprise me if there was a way to at least make surf maps work via server mods.

Also, an example of what the game looks like at the moment (there may be more graphical modifications to come)
2012-03-10, 10:46 PM #8
Originally posted by Couchman:
CS 1.6 is one of the greatest competative games of all time. I played it in a **** load of leagues back in the day and I purchase ESEA to find pugs on private servers or scrim with my scrim team of friends. I hated CS:Source and I am very cautious about GO.

The game mode is a game mode that was modded into CS1.6 called "Gungame", its been around forever and is popular on public servers.

I always found it amusing that people could hate CS:S when it was basically CS 1.6 with something resembling a physics engine, better graphics, and better recoil. Gungame was in CS:S as well.

I played the daylights out of CS:S before TF2 came along. And of what little I have seen of Global Offensive, I'm not unhappy about it. I just really question whether there's enough differences between it and CS:S to really be worth a new game? It's still the source engine, and the graphics, while better, aren't exactly jaw-dropping.

I'd love to have the invite, and unlike couchman I won't hate on the game just because it's new :P
2012-03-10, 11:47 PM #9
The graphics are probably lower for the moment while they test the coding issues. Though I can see improvement in the Character models (e.g. character with a towel tied around his head has the knot modeled).
2012-03-11, 12:58 AM #10
Originally posted by Tracer:
24/7 office insta-respawn for life

Lol, typical noob map
He said to them: "You examine the face of heaven and earth, but you have not come to know the one who is in your presence, and you do not know how to examine the present moment." - Gospel of Thomas
2012-03-11, 1:37 AM #11
I can't be the only one who thinks that screenshot looks worse than cs:s
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2012-03-11, 8:10 AM #12
Quote:
there probably won't be surf maps

NOT MY COUNTERSTRIKE
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-03-11, 8:28 AM #13
Originally posted by Tracer:
NOT MY COUNTERSTRIKE

Don't worry, TF2 does.
2012-03-11, 8:52 AM #14
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
I always found it amusing that people could hate CS:S when it was basically CS 1.6 with something resembling a physics engine, better graphics, and better recoil. Gungame was in CS:S as well.

I played the daylights out of CS:S before TF2 came along. And of what little I have seen of Global Offensive, I'm not unhappy about it. I just really question whether there's enough differences between it and CS:S to really be worth a new game? It's still the source engine, and the graphics, while better, aren't exactly jaw-dropping.

I'd love to have the invite, and unlike couchman I won't hate on the game just because it's new :P

I won't/don't hate it because its new, and thats not why I hated CS:S. The hitboxes were erratic in CS:S, I played one season of CAL for it, my team was 3-0 and then we decided to quit because of how rediculous it was. A lot of strategic elements have been removed: Ammo buying, stacking on eachothers heads (which removes a lot of spots that can be played) and for god sakes nothing registers in CS:S. Then again, I'm not saying 1.6 has perfect registry, just yesterday i no-scoped awp someone trying to flank me in a pug and watch the bullet hit the wall directly behind him, somehow bypassing his body.

But after hearing about items such as the molotov cocktail added I want to know how all of this effects competative play, I see ESEA already has pug and scrim servers up so I was hoping to get a chance to do some playing before release.
2012-03-11, 9:08 AM #15
CS:S didn't have perfect hit detection, but there's no way to say it's worse than 1.6. It's simply a matter of you being used to 1.6's hit detection versus CS:S, especially if you played 1.6 as much as you say you do.

Standing on heads wasn't ever put into CS as a strategic method. It's one of those things that came about afterwards. Losing that simply returned it to the intended design, just as removing any other bug would. Sure, you may not like the fewer options, but everyone is on the same playing field. It also mitigates some of the ridiculous camping that would go on, encouraging players to move more often.

I'm not really going to judge Global Offensive until it's out, since I have high hopes for it, but right now it's not getting me terribly excited. Not disappointed, just not excited either.
2012-03-11, 9:28 AM #16
Without stacking moves like this would be impossible http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQWw2-d7Okc

Note that the sniper doesn't look scoped in because of HLTV bug, but he can't see the person picking him off, and the reason they didn't glitch and look over the skybox is because its illegal. Stacking is one of those unintended things that just worked out so well. So many good spots involving a teammate boosting you up to cover that bombsite, and theyre very unexpected when used right.

From a public playing point of view sure it might encourage camping, but competatively camping isnt even a word. CS:GO is the last great hope to return CS to its former glory as one of the most popular and fun to play competative video games of all time, this could bring a lot of money back into e-sports.
2012-03-11, 11:53 AM #17
There's already a lot more money in e-sports. CS 1.6 might have been the start of e-sports, but it definitely shouldn't be considered the high point. Hell, Starcraft 2 alone makes tons and tons of money.

And yes, I am aware of what you can do with stacking. I just don't think that's important enough to matter. Good map design can easily overcome such things.
2012-03-11, 1:01 PM #18
this could bring a lot of money back into e-sports.

I'd rather watch a sc2 match than a cs match any day.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2012-03-11, 7:04 PM #19
I never watched SC a lot, I watched a lot of WC3 which was good, and dota, and obviously CS, its a shame that e-sports lacks popularity in the US compared to the rest of the world, i feel it has crazy potential, hell, if people watch poker on TV why wouldnt they watch a game of counter-strike
2012-03-11, 7:23 PM #20
i would watch surf maps
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-03-11, 8:09 PM #21
lol why do people like surf maps so much i honestly dont find them fun, theres nothing more intense than 5v5 league config, even pubbing gets boring every server is 24/7 dust2 and everyone sits at spawn with an awp
2012-03-11, 8:24 PM #22
why do people like surf maps so much

Because it's ****ing awesome to behold.
>>untie shoes
2012-03-11, 8:56 PM #23
watching people surf who have done it so long that it's as easy to them as walking down the driveway *is* indeed awesome. They can do things that what is this I don't even
2012-03-11, 9:07 PM #24
lol why do people like surf maps so much i honestly dont find them fun, theres nothing more intense than 5v5 league config, even pubbing gets boring every server is 24/7 dust2 and everyone sits at spawn with an awp

I'm just kidding, I never played any surf maps. My brother was really into them though, I used to watch him play.

Now 24/7 office insta-respawn on the other hand, I could play that ALL DAY.

FIRE IN THE HOLE
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY

↑ Up to the top!