Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Level Competition? (yearly)
Level Competition? (yearly)
2012-04-15, 11:14 AM #41
Originally posted by Couchman:
excuse me, can you stop noticing stuff and finish dark tome

If this competition happens.. I will :P
2012-04-16, 7:29 AM #42
Originally posted by Kamon:
As for the anniversary, we could organize a great multiplayer game that day,October 9 (which I'm not mistaken it's Tuesday).

I like this idea, and yes oct 9th is a tuesday because my birthday is on monday oct 8th
"The quality of the levels you make is determined by the skill of the person not by the editor in which they use!"-Michael Kyle
Ogel's City
2012-04-16, 2:48 PM #43
Originally posted by Ogel45:
I like this idea, and yes oct 9th is a tuesday because my birthday is on monday oct 8th

My is saturday oct 6th xD
2012-04-16, 4:04 PM #44
I would really like to see this contest generate some additional players to the game. Perhaps once we start submitting screenshots and the like, we can shoot an email to some of the premier gaming news websites, letting them know what we're doing. I know IGN is staffed by nothing but Star Wars fans and would probably be more than happy to write a short article on it, especially if it coincides with the anniversary of the game. Just an idea.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2012-04-16, 6:19 PM #45
Originally posted by Darth J:
I would really like to see this contest generate some additional players to the game. Perhaps once we start submitting screenshots and the like, we can shoot an email to some of the premier gaming news websites, letting them know what we're doing. I know IGN is staffed by nothing but Star Wars fans and would probably be more than happy to write a short article on it, especially if it coincides with the anniversary of the game. Just an idea.

I like the idea, we could also send it to steam to put on Jedi Knights game page.
"The quality of the levels you make is determined by the skill of the person not by the editor in which they use!"-Michael Kyle
Ogel's City
2012-04-16, 7:02 PM #46
I like the idea, we could also send it to steam to put on Jedi Knights game page.

Nice idea, but it has to happen first. I'm game, though. I just don't want to be the only one.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
2012-04-16, 7:23 PM #47
I am definatly in.
Ogel's City
2012-04-16, 10:14 PM #48
So there are a lot of people down for this that wanna see it happen, so its time to make this official. Now.
2012-04-17, 6:52 AM #49
Well untill further notice I will create multiple servers that will run all day on Oct 9th. If anyone wants to send me custom maps (not now but a later date) feel free so that i can put them in to one big download for that day. (insted of us hunting down indevidual maps across the internet. I will post my IP closer to the day.

P.S. - Is there any way to make this stickied?
Ogel's City
2012-04-17, 7:33 AM #50
Is there any way to make this stickied?

I was thinking a new thread would probably be best, but if your gonna sticky this one atleast have Goit update the 1st post with some of the stuff discussed like the Oct 9th deadline.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-04-17, 10:43 AM #51
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
I was thinking a new thread would probably be best, but if your gonna sticky this one atleast have Goit update the 1st post with some of the stuff discussed like the Oct 9th deadline.

A new thread is probably best. More people are going to read a CM thread than a Goit thread. Nobody really knows who I am!
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2012-04-17, 11:54 AM #52
http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?60218-Massassi-Level-Pack-Contest-6

The pack will be released to the public on October 9th.
2012-04-17, 4:57 PM #53
Is this vanilla JK, or are we using the special enhancements like the increased thing limit, etc?
2012-04-17, 7:39 PM #54
Originally posted by Darth J:
Is this vanilla JK, or are we using the special enhancements like the increased thing limit, etc?

You may use thing/adjoin limit patches, yes. Your level description must clearly state these requirements, if any. I will add that to the rules.
2012-04-18, 3:01 AM #55
Wahey! Time to crack open ZED.
2012-04-18, 5:28 AM #56
It's like riding a bicycle.

Also like riding a bicycle, I have no idea where to go.
2012-04-18, 4:11 PM #57
[/COLOR] So ... and the multiplayer?
Any idea?
Perhaps it is better to make the game on the weekend before the anniversary, to give everyone more opportunity to play.
As for servers, not better, you know, a dedicated server, only these days?To avoid problems with port forwarding (or not)
Or GameRanger.
[/COLOR]
2012-04-18, 4:15 PM #58
Originally posted by Kamon:
So ... and the multiplayer?
Any idea?
Perhaps it is better to make the game on the weekend before the anniversary, to give everyone more opportunity to play.
As for servers, not better, you know, a dedicated server, only these days?To avoid problems with port forwarding (or not)
Or GameRanger.
[/COLOR]

You can't make a dedicated server for Jedi Knight.

1. JK doesn't have a traditional dedicated server system, period.
2. You can't run multiple instances on one PC (without virtual machines or other ridiculous methods)
3. Port forwarding will be an issue for people no matter what.
4. Running the server puts you in the level, as a player.
2012-04-18, 4:44 PM #59
The unofficial patch lets you run more than one instance with -devmode. Someone made a "dedicated server" cog to make the server player invisible/whatever. Use hamachi to do routing.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2012-04-18, 7:47 PM #60
I can host the MP for the day. what should the gametypes be? or should we push this dicution for a later date?
Ogel's City
2012-04-19, 7:31 AM #61
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
You can't make a dedicated server for Jedi Knight.

1. JK doesn't have a traditional dedicated server system, period.
2. You can't run multiple instances on one PC (without virtual machines or other ridiculous methods)
3. Port forwarding will be an issue for people no matter what.
4. Running the server puts you in the level, as a player.

That's what I was thinking.
So GameRanger would be the best option even.
I think it would be better to think, that if the event will be held, gather as many people as possible.
If on a weekend, we could put one day to the classics and other day to the other maps, such MercOasis, Jedi High School.
2012-04-19, 8:40 AM #62
We should let this thread die. I suggest starting a new thread for 'JK Anniversary Plans'.

I believe a 32 person Nar CTF game would be AMAZING. Just like the old days. With 'fan' as the password (if anyone remembers that...)
2012-04-19, 9:37 AM #63
Originally posted by Goit:
We should let this thread die. I suggest starting a new thread for 'JK Anniversary Plans'.

I believe a 32 person Nar CTF game would be AMAZING. Just like the old days. With 'fan' as the password (if anyone remembers that...)

I recommend not even talking about it until less than a month before the anniversary. Any thread you make now will be long buried and lost by then.
2012-04-21, 1:20 AM #64
Originally posted by Goit:

Moi (Vornskr posts here as well & I'm still in contact with most of my old CTF clan). However, if you're able to get more than 4-6 people to play C@NS, 25% of them will likely be cheaters/hackers. Especially if the likes of DeadlyOne are still lurking around somewhere & unfortunately, they knew all of the usual passwords. I personally think that TF's Fusion is more suitable for larger games (though C@NS is certainly a wonderful map).

We should do these same sorts of things for the MotS anniversary (01.31.2013) also. True, it wasn't as popular, but there were some rather dedicated players. Besides, I haven't *****-slapped to pieces a mother****er after a good carbon-freezing in nearly a decade & have rather missed that part of my life.
? :)
2012-04-21, 6:04 AM #65
Have there been any tutorials written on design using 3do's since the thing limit was removed? I can grasp what this means to an extent but I'd appreciate it if someone could spell out the implications in their totality.
2012-04-21, 6:51 AM #66
Originally posted by Mentat:
Have there been any tutorials written on design using 3do's since the thing limit was removed? I can grasp what this means to an extent but I'd appreciate it if someone could spell out the implications in their totality.

I didn't think it meant anything more than simply removing the limit of the number of things in a level. Instead of ~650 things, you can now have as many as your frame rate can put up with.
2012-04-21, 7:13 AM #67
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
I didn't think it meant anything more than simply removing the limit of the number of things in a level. Instead of ~650 things, you can now have as many as your frame rate can put up with.

I seem to remember people creating entire maps out of 3do's instead of in the "traditional" manner. I can't remember if this happened before or after the thing limit patch but I can't seem to find any tutorials on the subject (just very basic 3do tutorials that one really has to stretch his imagination with to apply the concepts to level design).
2012-04-21, 9:58 AM #68
stretching your imagination sounds like a good exercise mentat, get to it my b
2012-04-21, 1:12 PM #69
I seem to remember people creating entire maps out of 3do's instead of in the "traditional" manner. I can't remember if this happened before or after the thing limit patch but I can't seem to find any tutorials on the subject (just very basic 3do tutorials that one really has to stretch his imagination with to apply the concepts to level design).

The main issues with these 3DO levels are as follows: 3DO archi is unaffected by sector lighting so you need to use dynamic lights (that are things like light0.5 etc.). And you can have only a certain amount of dynamic lights (24 or 32 or whatevs) active on the screen or otherwise the lighting just disappears. Not to mention every projectile fired from a weapon creates a new dynamic light so those can also mess things up. Despite these problems, I never managed to break the dynamic lighting in TODOA. Lag might also be problematic on lower-end systems, but even the "Invisible Hand" sequence in TODOA's final battle (which is 100% 3DO action) tends to have somewhat noticeable lag on my current (early 2010) system.

But I always left those issues to be handled after everything else was done. Making 100% 3DO levels is actually quite nice and possibly even easier. It's more reminiscent of the modern "create an empty BSP brush and fill it with static meshes" type of editing. Editing TODOA got a lot easier after I figured out how to make exported archi 3DOs align 100% as they did when they were still sector archi. And - if I'm not mistaken - the elevator in the Death Star duel level in TODOA TC MP is currently the only one with round Dark Forces/Shadows of the Empire-like doors and it's 100% 3DO, baby.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-04-21, 10:16 PM #70
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
The main issues with these 3DO levels are as follows: 3DO archi is unaffected by sector lighting so you need to use dynamic lights (that are things like light0.5 etc.). And you can have only a certain amount of dynamic lights (24 or 32 or whatevs) active on the screen or otherwise the lighting just disappears. Not to mention every projectile fired from a weapon creates a new dynamic light so those can also mess things up. Despite these problems, I never managed to break the dynamic lighting in TODOA. Lag might also be problematic on lower-end systems, but even the "Invisible Hand" sequence in TODOA's final battle (which is 100% 3DO action) tends to have somewhat noticeable lag on my current (early 2010) system.

But I always left those issues to be handled after everything else was done. Making 100% 3DO levels is actually quite nice and possibly even easier. It's more reminiscent of the modern "create an empty BSP brush and fill it with static meshes" type of editing. Editing TODOA got a lot easier after I figured out how to make exported archi 3DOs align 100% as they did when they were still sector archi. And - if I'm not mistaken - the elevator in the Death Star duel level in TODOA TC MP is currently the only one with round Dark Forces/Shadows of the Empire-like doors and it's 100% 3DO, baby.

That's exactly the type of information that I couldn't seem to find in any tutorials (at least, not in any one tutorial) & was likely gained through months or even years of experience (something that many of us don't or won't have before the deadline). I think that a good tutorial on 3do level design would be beneficial if anyone were willing to do it--something to enable people to apply what they've already learned with the existing 3do tutorials to level design.
2012-04-22, 11:36 AM #71
Honestly I think you should make regular levels and just keep them simple with good aesthetics. Stop trying to push the boundaries of what's possible, the game is old and can't keep up anyway. If the design is good it doesn't have to be high fidelity. Good textures (with a far mipmap distance) and good lighting with the lighter plugin over simple geometry will get you 90% of the way to feeling modern.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2012-04-22, 11:55 AM #72
I think that a good tutorial on 3do level design would be beneficial if anyone were willing to do it--something to enable people to apply what they've already learned with the existing 3do tutorials to level design.

Oh, I'd write one if I had the time. sry
2012-04-23, 3:55 PM #73
I WILL MAKE A LEVEL FOR THIS
2012-04-23, 4:18 PM #74
I have a stupid Question:

What if I were to release an SP Level Series that was previously released (The demo was only in the previous contest) except it is being expanded and being revamped in order to remove errors and recreated with certain new textures and such? I read the rules pertaining to the other thread pertaining to the contest and Im not certain if this would be acceptable or not.

Edit: The reason is I think I wont be capable of whipping up a 4 level SP Series in time and Im working as I speak on the Operation Nar Shaddaa Special Edition or remake right now.
He who controls the spice controls the universe-
2012-04-23, 4:19 PM #75
I could never figure out mapping for this game, can we have a secondary contest for Unreal COOP maps? =[
2012-06-17, 2:59 AM #76
That's exactly the type of information that I couldn't seem to find in any tutorials (at least, not in any one tutorial) & was likely gained through months or even years of experience (something that many of us don't or won't have before the deadline). I think that a good tutorial on 3do level design would be beneficial if anyone were willing to do it--something to enable people to apply what they've already learned with the existing 3do tutorials to level design.

Well, what do you know, I made a tutorial on the subject anyway.

I really have to stop boomeranging back to JK while Deus Ex Nihilum still needs to be finished. Geez!

↑ Up to the top!