Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → JK Cryengine 3
JK Cryengine 3
2012-05-01, 11:24 PM #1
I don't know if this has been posted before or not, but I thought it was pretty awesome and inspiring.

Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoQC0QwYgM4
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2012-05-01, 11:50 PM #2
I am in complete awe by that.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2012-05-01, 11:57 PM #3
That reminded me so much of Sine Nomen's Nar Shaddaa that I had to change my pants afterwards.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-05-02, 12:41 AM #4
Well that's easily the best Nar Shaddaa ever made for a video game.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2012-05-02, 1:04 AM #5
Or at least for CryEngine 3, it'd be nice if they were actually playable.

Same with these Blade Runner and Aliens renders. LE SIGH.
2012-05-02, 5:32 AM #6
We live on
2012-05-02, 6:02 AM #7
Jesus his camera work agh
2012-05-02, 7:32 AM #8
well, god damnit. *throws hat on ground and stomps away*
DO NOT WANT.
2012-05-02, 9:19 AM #9
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Or at least for CryEngine 3, it'd be nice if they were actually playable.

Same with these Blade Runner and Aliens renders. LE SIGH.

That's the trouble with Cry Engine. You can make really nice screenshots and videos, but it seems like it's very difficult for people to translate good artwork into the game and make it playable. You end up a with a LOT of aliasing, even with AA enabled, and there seems to be issues with making animations and shaders smooth.
2012-05-02, 1:05 PM #10
Originally posted by Emon:
Well that's easily the best Nar Shaddaa ever made for a video game.

It looks more like Coruscant to me.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2012-05-02, 4:16 PM #11
It's one alley, I have no idea what part of the original it's supposed to be, and, water?
2012-05-02, 4:21 PM #12
The part at :11 almost looks like the 2nd hallway after the bar.

Almost.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-05-02, 4:42 PM #13
The whole thing is the section right outside the bar and the following hallway. Read the description, yea?
2012-05-02, 4:46 PM #14
Originally posted by Freelancer:

Then it's the best version of that, too. No one has made either properly to my knowledge.

Coruscant is easier in that it's just a ****ton of huge towering buildings. Nar Shaddaa is supposed to be levels and layers so thick the diameter of the planet is actually larger. I suppose KotOR 2 did a decent job.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2012-05-02, 5:31 PM #15
the Coruscant level in JA is such a ****ing joke I can't even believe it
2012-05-02, 5:36 PM #16
Does anyone happen to have any info on wtf happened with the development of JA? I played it again a month or two ago and was just so astounded by how awful some of the levels are. There are a handful of decently made, well detailed ones, like Ord Mantell where you fight Boba, but jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus some of them look like they were made in half a day. Awful level geometry, huge simple geometric forms with no detail or articulation of architectural elements or anything. I think they made 1/3 of the level over the course of six months and then made the remaining 2/3 in like three weeks of crunch time. I mean it would have taken so little effort to toss a few more skyscrapers, a few walkways with some basic structural framework to suggest a believable city, a few props... but it's just big boxes with flat textures slapped upons.

ANGARY
2012-05-02, 5:55 PM #17
Raven.
2012-05-02, 5:59 PM #18
Wow, that's really cool.

Nar is the awesomest place in the GFFA.

If only that were playable. *drool*
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2012-05-03, 2:25 AM #19
Originally posted by Freelancer:

this is what i thought. too many angled off corners, too many visual distractions.

i think the point of nar shaddaa is that it's NOT supposed to be cluttered with crap. it's supposed to be very vertical and rather empty, that in and of itself creates a certain vibe and almost every remake forgets that
2012-05-03, 4:46 AM #20
Quote:
The whole thing is the section right outside the bar and the following hallway. Read the description, yea?
If I can't tell what they recreated from looking at it they did a bad job.
2012-05-03, 5:06 AM #21
I recognized the part from the start (well, once I saw the neon sign and the camera went down the slope) but yeah, a great remake doesn't need to be clustered with all sorts of stuff. I still think that render looks pretty nice (sort of a Hong Kong IN SPACE).

I've always thought that Nar Shaddaa should look like Chicago.
2012-05-03, 1:44 PM #22
Dang that looks sweet. What I wouldn't give for another game that was as good as Dark Forces or JK but with modern graphics.
2012-05-03, 6:39 PM #23
Originally posted by Reid:
this is what i thought. too many angled off corners, too many visual distractions.

i think the point of nar shaddaa is that it's NOT supposed to be cluttered with crap. it's supposed to be very vertical and rather empty, that in and of itself creates a certain vibe and almost every remake forgets that

Yeah. Nar is supposed to have open space beneath the structures as well as above. The original DF level and the cutscene in JK reflect this.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009

↑ Up to the top!