Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → is Dead Island worth $12?
is Dead Island worth $12?
2012-05-23, 9:36 PM #1
discuss.
woot!
2012-05-23, 10:02 PM #2
Originally posted by JLee:
discuss.

I would say yes. I bought it release day and played it around that time.

I never got into the multiplayer much, I tried it briefly with my L4D crew but there were some annoying issues that kept it from being enjoyable. Stuff like sometimes were weren't all doing the same quest, also the microphone support was bad, it was basically live mic all the time. Some of these things might have been addressed via patches since then, I have no idea.

That might have seemed super negative- I did however enjoy playing the game as a singleplayer experience. If think $12 is a fair price for a decent singleplayer game with limited replay value then get it. According to Steam, I played it for 33hrs but I haven't touched it in months.

(I did snag another 4pack at this sale price and someday some of them might show up in a Massassi giveaway but not anytime soon.)
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-05-24, 3:44 AM #3
I'd say so. It was fun and great to get into, plus I never want an island vacation ever.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2012-05-24, 6:04 AM #4
Did they ever fix the thousands of bugs that basically broke the game? I seem to remember issues that were so bad that you couldn't even beat the game in some cases.
2012-05-24, 8:10 AM #5
I'd say that it's definately worth 12$ so long as you can stomach bugs. I've play through the game solo and with a friend and I've witnessed a large amount of bugs, but few were game-breaking and fewer yet really took away from the experience.

The biggest issue for me was when story-centric dialogue would be cut off. This happened maybe 5 or 6 times.

This was at launch though, it could have been fixed since.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2012-05-26, 5:29 PM #6
I say yes.. barely.

Forget bugs (I didn't really notice any problems when I got it, which was about 6 months ago, so I'm guessing most of the issues you all saw were addressed), but the gameplay is fun for about 10 minutes, and the story line drags and drags. Here's the biggest problem I had:

Running around with a pipe/oar/baseball bat/wrench/any other blunt object you could possibly think of and bashing zombies for about the first 3-6 hours of game play is a little excessive.. Then you'll finally get a gun. Which you won't be able to use for a few more hours because you won't be able to find any ammo. Then you'll finally begin to see ammo. Except the supply will be so sporadic and your ammunition capacity so low you'll get to use the gun for about 1-2 engagements.. then it's back to the trusty crowbar for a half hour to an hour, until you can manage to find more ammo. This is pretty damn frustrating.. Especially when you're playing as the gun expert. The only good way to mitigate this, I found, was to only use the gun/s during engagements with looters/other people who had guns. That way you could replenish your ammo by looting their corpses. But these encounters are few and far between the massive amount of trudging around bashing in zombie skulls with a tennis racket.

Good points:
Driving a car/truck around barreling over zombies is fun for a few minutes.
The game has a few good, intense (scary?) moments.
Good scenery

(other) Bad points:
-No player customization. Which means if you're playing in a group online, you're pretty likely to be running around in a group of identical twins (or triplets).
-Mic issues noted above. (Although you do get the occasional noob who has NO IDEA their voice is being broadcasted over the internet. That almost makes it worth it.)
-Poor voice acting. No worse than any other game I guess, but with a game as cinematic as this, it really stands out.

So yeah, overall it's worth $12 if you're not strapped for cash, as it will provide (probably) a few hours of entertainment, but it's nothing to get excited about.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2012-05-26, 9:12 PM #7
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
Running around with a pipe/oar/baseball bat/wrench/any other blunt object you could possibly think of and bashing zombies for about the first 3-6 hours of game play is a little excessive.. Then you'll finally get a gun. Which you won't be able to use for a few more hours because you won't be able to find any ammo. Then you'll finally begin to see ammo. Except the supply will be so sporadic and your ammunition capacity so low you'll get to use the gun for about 1-2 engagements.. then it's back to the trusty crowbar for a half hour to an hour, until you can manage to find more ammo. This is pretty damn frustrating.. Especially when you're playing as the gun expert. The only good way to mitigate this, I found, was to only use the gun/s during engagements with looters/other people who had guns. That way you could replenish your ammo by looting their corpses. But these encounters are few and far between the massive amount of trudging around bashing in zombie skulls with a tennis racket.

I'm still waiting for a zombie game to do realistic weapons well. Like I love L4D/2 but honestly I rarely ever have to make an effort to conserve my ammo. I kill 1000 zombies a game and rarely ever use melee. Both Dead Rising and Dead Island are good with making guns/ammo scare but take weapon customization to some ridiculous extreme and are horrible at weapon degradation. I'm fairly sure something like an aluminum bat or a crowbar is going to be able to bash 100+ zombie skulls before it's unusable. And attaching a car battery to a sword is just going to make it unwieldy.

Anyway I'm curious since both the Steam and Amazon sale have ended... JLee did you buy it?
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-05-27, 7:08 AM #8
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
I'm still waiting for a zombie game to do realistic weapons well. Like I love L4D/2 but honestly I rarely ever have to make an effort to conserve my ammo. I kill 1000 zombies a game and rarely ever use melee. Both Dead Rising and Dead Island are good with making guns/ammo scare but take weapon customization to some ridiculous extreme and are horrible at weapon degradation. I'm fairly sure something like an aluminum bat or a crowbar is going to be able to bash 100+ zombie skulls before it's unusable. And attaching a car battery to a sword is just going to make it unwieldy.

Anyway I'm curious since both the Steam and Amazon sale have ended... JLee did you buy it?

Nope, I forgot and the sale ended. Maybe next time. I'm already so far behind on games, though, it's ridiculous...have ME3 and The Witcher 2 in my queue, plus a whole bunch of cheap Steam-sale games I've probably forgotten about.
woot!

↑ Up to the top!