Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Blade Runner sequel will reunite Ridley Scott with original screenplay writer
Blade Runner sequel will reunite Ridley Scott with original screenplay writer
2012-06-02, 4:25 PM #1
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/may/18/ridley-scott-reunited-blade-runner-writer

Quote:
Ridley Scott's return to Blade Runner will be a sequel featuring a female protagonist, the veteran British director has confirmed. Alcon Entertainment, which owns the follow-up rights to the 1982 science fiction classic, announced in August that it had pulled off a coup by engaging the veteran British director to revisit one of his greatest triumphs, but it was unclear at the time what form the new film would take.
  1. Blade Runner
  2. Production year: 1982
  3. Country: USA
  4. Cert (UK): 15
  5. Runtime: 117 mins
  6. Directors: Ridley Scott
  7. Cast: Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young
  8. More on this film

That uncertainty has now been dispelled, however, after Scott enlarged on an Alcon statement revealing that "the new story will take place some years after the first film concluded". "I started my first meetings on the Blade Runner sequel last week," the director told aceshowbiz.com. "We have a very good take on it. And we'll definitely be featuring a female protagonist."
As if securing Scott's services weren't coup enough, Alcon has also revealed it is in talks with original Blade Runner writer Hampton Fancher to write the screenplay.
"The three-time Oscar-nominated Scott and his Blade Runner collaborator Fancher originally conceived of their 1982 classic as the first in a series of films incorporating the themes and characters featured in Philip K Dick's groundbreaking novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, from which Blade Runner was adapted," said Alcon in a statement. "Circumstances, however, took Scott into other directions and the project never advanced."
Based on Dick's 1968 novel, Blade Runner was not a box office or critical hit in 1982, but has gathered plaudits over the years and been cited as the greatest science fiction film of all time by a number of publications. Negative initial critical opinion of the movie was largely reversed with the arrival in 1992 of a director's cut, in which Scott excised the original's studio-commissioned Harrison Ford voiceover as well as a pegged-on "happy ending", which the film-maker is said to have hated.
Set in an overpopulated future Los Angeles that never sees the sunlight, the film is about a "blade runner", Rick Deckard (Ford), who is tasked with taking out a gang of "replicants" (android outlaws) who have escaped to Earth from an off-world colony. The film-maker left the audience to decide whether Deckard himself is in fact also a replicant.
"It is a perfect opportunity to reunite Ridley with Hampton on this new project," added Alcon. "One in fact inspired by their own personal collaboration, a classic of cinema if there ever was one."
Fancher, 73, has not been a prolific screenwriter since Blade Runner, producing screenplays for only two films, 1989's The Mighty Quinn and thriller The Minus Man a decade later, the latter of which he also directed. The appointment is all the more intriguing because Scott fell out with Fancher on the first film over his initial draft, which is said to have taken more of an environmentally-themed approach to the story. Fancher was replaced by David Peoples, though he later returned for rewrites.
No release date has been set for the new project, but it is likely to be some time before it arrives in cinemas. Scott is currently promoting his first science fiction film in more than three decades, Prometheus, which revisits the universe he created for 1979's Alien. He is also due to shoot Cormac McCarthy's screenplay for The Counselor, and has said he is open to the possibility of Prometheus sequels. An adaptation of the board game Monopoly is also on the cards.

Amazing
2012-06-02, 4:42 PM #2
looking forward to Ridley Scott's Monopoly
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-06-02, 5:19 PM #3
pretty sure harrison ford isnt going to be in it
2012-06-02, 6:53 PM #4
Originally posted by Couchman:
pretty sure harrison ford isnt going to be in it

There's actually another Guardian article about how he would like Ford to at least have a cameo.
2012-06-02, 7:39 PM #5
We shall see, doubt he will do it, i mean ide like him to, but i doubt it
2012-06-02, 8:35 PM #6
<<< Fell asleep 45 mins into Bladerunner.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2012-06-02, 8:54 PM #7
Please leave the planet.
2012-06-02, 9:00 PM #8
Man, I'm so excited for Prometheus... if he pulls that off, then I will also be excited for this...
2012-06-02, 9:13 PM #9
Originally posted by Tibby:
Please leave the planet.
oh stfu
2012-06-02, 9:18 PM #10
I like to imagine you have a pager set so that whenever I post you get a beep.
"Well" you say, as you awake from your slumber. "Time to ****post."
2012-06-02, 9:23 PM #11

cool story bro
2012-06-02, 9:27 PM #12

[http://instntrply.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/WadeSuperman.gif]
2012-06-02, 9:30 PM #13
On that subject, I agree with KOP_Snake. I didn't fall asleep during it, but I agree with his sentiment. I thought Blade Runner was way too long, poorly-placed, and built around a very thin story. And that's okay. It was bomb when it first came out. The vast majority of people don't like it.

If you're excited about the sequel, sweet. You get a movie to look forward to. I'd be ecstatic to see Evil Dead 4, but if someone told me "Army of Darkness was way too cheesy" I wouldn't tell them to get off the planet like some hipster douche.
2012-06-02, 10:07 PM #14
lol
Stuff
2012-06-02, 11:28 PM #15
I personally enjoyed Blade Runner (1992 cut) because of the script's narrow conception and its sparse dialogue. Something so relaxed and understated was a breath of fresh air when I saw it. The archetypal Hollywood film is so manipulative and conveniently conceived that the two hour form as perfected in America is a joke to me. The level of restraint in Blade Runner, on the other hand, left room for an amazing display of pure artistic immersion. There's not much to the movie, but what's there is truly touching. Vangelis' "Memories of Green" is as enjoyable to me as any of my favorite Chopin nocturnes, and the entire idea of romancing or hunting down one's own kind while gradually discovering the truth amid a mortal struggle is just so poetic. Rutger Hauer or Vangelis can have my man-babies for all I care.
2012-06-03, 12:44 AM #16
The atmosphere, the visuals, the music, the way it more or less single-handedly created cyberpunk anime/manga and some other things I currently don't remember = Hell yes, Blade Runner. The Final Cut Blu-Ray is one of the finest things on this planet (definitely worth 7bux). While I can understand why some people might find the pace of the movie problematic, well, I don't agree with them. As far as the sequel is concerned, well, I have no particular interest in it so I'll judge it after I've possibly seen it.

And as people in the chat know:

Lost in TIME, like tears... in rain.

TIME TO DIE.

It's too bad she won't live!

But then again, who does?

* Nikumubeki moogs to the best-quality version available (Blade Runner 2001 Private Edition) for the full unedited version of (Vangelis) - (End Titles from Blade Runner) which may be 7:31 long.

(It's fun to do that in public as a response to just about everything. "What happened to that old pizza place?" "LOST IN TIME etc.")
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-06-03, 5:36 AM #17
The only thing I could understand someone not liking about Blade Runner is, indeed, the pacing. It is a slow movie, but then that is something that makes the movie so much better for me. In amidst the wash of standard run-of-the-mill sci-fi or action movies that travel at lightning pace and cram in whatever they can think of. I did, to be honest, prefer the book in many ways, but I love Phillip K. Dick in general. But overall Blade Runner is a classic movie that essentially defined every sci-fi forever afterwards, as well as creating so many various sub-genres and reoccurring sci-fi themes. The biggest problem is, essentially, a sequel could very well, and is probably, going to ruin the whole franchise. Modern movie executives are going to go for the 'fast action' route and not let the more artistic flow prevail. I would like for a good movie to show up, but I really doubt it. :tinfoil:
2012-06-03, 5:37 AM #18
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
(It's fun to do that in public as a response to just about everything. "What happened to that old pizza place?" "LOST IN TIME etc.")

This really made me laugh too. I think I'll steal this. :P
2012-06-03, 7:01 AM #19
I have to admit, I actually use the "lost in time.. like tears in the rain" and other parts of that monologue on a fairly regular basis in my daily life.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2012-06-03, 8:10 AM #20
HE SAY YOU BRADE RUNNAH

I love that movie.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-06-03, 8:48 AM #21
**** FASTGAMMER!!!!!!

You beat me to the ****ing punch. I was going to quote Rutger Hauer ofcorse.

"Ive Seen Things!!!!"

Did you know that Rugter made up that line on his own. And that Edward James Olmos created his own language called city speak which is a mesh up of diffrent languages? In the beginning when he finds deckard, hes actually saying something about "horse dick".... HAHAHAHAHAHa

Watch Dangerous Days

Goddamn you fastgamer, you even had to mention Vangelis amazing soundtrack before me..... Curses and Invocations!!!

You even mentioned cyber Punk.... William Gibson is the father of cyberspace, coining the term in the 80's. He wrote Johnny Mnemonic and a slew of other stories, as well as a few epic trilogies. To quote WIkipedia, "(he)
has been called the "noir prophet" of the cyberpunk subgenre." I did one of my finals (a report) on this very subject. I talked about Johnny Mnemonic which inevitably led me to talk about Blade Runner. Soon Enough it was me ranting about Ridley Scott and his attention to detail and just how visually amazing this film looked.

All jokes aside, I have always LOVED blade runner. My mom saw it when she was in school back in 82 and loved it, so naturally me and my brothers were raised watching it. I have to say that i agree with fastgammer at every turn. That is one of the most aesthetically pleasing movies ive seen, even more so when you know it came out in 82.

Ive always had my top 5 list. Blade runner has always been in it. (LIST: Godfather1,Godfather pt2, Alien, Empire, Blade Runner)

The prospect of Ridley doing the sequel is more than i can hope for. Im sure that if it does happen, it will be phenomenal.

Im shocked that massassi isn't in an uproar about Prometheus!!!!!

THE ****ING SPACE JOCKEY FROM ALIEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COME THE **** ON!!

Haven't you been curious abo
ut that for most of your life?!?!?!?!

Maybe theses thoughts don't burn in the minds of my fellow massassians, but they certainly do mine.

Didn't know if i should quote this: "You show it to your husband . He [/COLOR]likes it so much[/B] he hangs it on your bedroom wall." [/COLOR]
Or simply: "What do you mean im not helping!?"

" I am the Lizard King, I can do anyhthing... "
2012-06-03, 11:44 AM #22
I once had a friend (he's not my friend anymore) who slagged Blade Runner off because "it was boring because it didn't have enough talking in it" (I can only assume he watched the DC and if so, it's ignorant pondscum like him that made the "dodgy Deckard narration" version possible).

Anyway, I liked (not loved) Prometheus and Do Androids... is one of my favourite books. I have mixed feelings and will hope for the best.
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2012-06-04, 7:49 AM #23
I'm watching the DC right now and it's better without Harrison Ford whispering in my ear 24/7
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-06-04, 11:00 AM #24
Originally posted by AKPiggott:
I once had a friend (he's not my friend anymore) who slagged Blade Runner off because "it was boring because it didn't have enough talking in it" (I can only assume he watched the DC and if so, it's ignorant pondscum like him that made the "dodgy Deckard narration" version possible).

Anyway, I liked (not loved) Prometheus and Do Androids... is one of my favourite books. I have mixed feelings and will hope for the best.

Oh good, so glad he's not your friend anymore. I can barely fathom why you'd associate with such a person in the first place.
2012-06-04, 11:27 AM #25
I dread you all's reaction, but I've never seen Blade Runner. .(
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2012-06-04, 11:43 AM #26
Blade Runner was accidentally good. Ridley Scott is a horrible director that happens to have made a total of three good movies. I don't know why we even consider him to be good. He's no different than his brother. Wait, his brother actually understands storytelling.
>>untie shoes
2012-06-04, 3:15 PM #27
Well it's not the director that makes the movie, unless you're a Hitchcock or Scorsese or Woody Allen. Just witness the original Star Wars movies vis. 'ol Georgie and Ralph McQuarrie.

As for the story, well I suppose the director has some room to intrpret the script and potentially **** it up or do brilliant things, but in the case of Blade Runner, between the book and the script I'm not sure how much Ridley Scott is responsible for the vision. (I'd be curious to know, actually.)
2012-06-04, 4:31 PM #28
Originally posted by Jep:

Same.
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2012-06-08, 4:48 PM #29

Originally posted by llibja:
Same.

Watch that ****...

Most people here will tell you to watch the directors cut, the one that omits the voice over narration.

My stance on it is: **** it

While i love the added layer of film noir through the use of a gritty and downbeat narration, in this particular case it slows the movie down.

Its very obvious stuff that hes saying all because the studio wanted the movie to "make sense" to people. This was added without the consent of the director.

Thank god for directors cuts... (never though id be saying it)
" I am the Lizard King, I can do anyhthing... "
2012-06-08, 11:19 PM #30
Just make sure you watch it when you have nothing to do after the movie... you know so you wont over sleep and be late.
2012-06-09, 2:23 PM #31

Originally posted by llibja:
Same.

Yup...
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob

↑ Up to the top!