Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Anyone up for helping me design a logo?
Anyone up for helping me design a logo?
2012-06-11, 4:52 PM #1
I've been trying to get the logo for my blog to look like something that WASN'T made in Paint, but alas, I have the artistic talents of a house fly. I usually see some really great logos for the holiday logo contest here, and I was wondering if any of you who have some free time and like designing things would be willing to help me out. I can't afford to pay you, but I would be more than happy to credit you for the design on the site. Here is the one I came up with, and I am entirely unhappy with:

Either style (lengthy, or stacked) will work.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2012-06-11, 5:15 PM #2
Ditch the per-letter film motif. If you want to have film in it, use a small strip. Keep it simple!

Secondly, ditch the fonts youre using. You can get really awesome typefaces here for free (or donation if you choose) http://losttype.com/browse/
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2012-06-11, 7:52 PM #3
I'd use Helvetica if I were you. Just plain, simple, black on white, Helvetica. Because it's completely overrated.
2012-06-11, 10:54 PM #4
Quote:
...for my blog...
Quote:
...I have the artistic talents of a house fly.
Maybe a blog not such a great idea then?
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2012-06-11, 11:28 PM #5
He meant visual arts. :carl:
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2012-06-11, 11:50 PM #6

if this is completely NOT what your looking for then at least you have a reference point.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-06-11, 11:51 PM #7
It's generic, but it's slick too.
2012-06-12, 12:04 AM #8

or perhaps this if you wanted to stick with the "film reel" motif?
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-06-12, 12:18 AM #9
Originally posted by Emon:
He meant visual arts. :carl:
Wow. thank you for explaining that to my simple mind.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2012-06-12, 12:43 AM #10
Alran, I REALLY like the film reel logo. I think I might use that. I just need to run it by the other two guys, but I think they will be happy with it as well. How would you like me to credit you for the logo?
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
2012-06-12, 1:13 AM #11
ermmm... hmm... hadn't really considered that. I have no idea, lol. My name is Daniel, so i guess just credit it to that? i dont know, how do these things usually work? im not terribly particular.
2012-06-12, 1:19 AM #12
I'll make a note on the about us page thanking Daniel of The Massassi Temple, if you'd like. Real quick, would it be too much trouble to whip up a version of the last two logos you posted at approximately 940 x 205?
2012-06-12, 1:21 AM #13
yeah, i should be able to do that.
2012-06-12, 1:50 AM #14

there's that one, i got the text to extend out as far as i could without any severe distortion.

and this one i was only able to get up to 800X205 without the background getting all wonky.
2012-06-12, 2:31 AM #15
put the mst3k seats at the bottom, since i assume you will be critiquing things.
2012-06-12, 10:31 AM #16
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
Wow. thank you for explaining that to my simple mind.

Your statement is completely vapid if taken any other way.

Don't use photographs in your logo, they don't belong there. Use only a few simple colors, don't add gradients and shadows and glows. Keep it simple. A good rule of thumb is that you should be able to print a logo in two tone black and white on paper and still have it look good (or maybe grayscale with one or two shades of gray). Once you have that you can worry about further stylizing it as appropriate for a website.
2012-06-12, 10:59 AM #17
this idea is
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2012-06-12, 11:14 AM #18

it seems like he could have been serious, but i honestly could not tell :confused:

Quote:
Don't use photographs in your logo, they don't belong there. Use only a few simple colors, don't add gradients and shadows and glows. Keep it simple. A good rule of thumb is that you should be able to print a logo in two tone black and white on paper and still have it look good (or maybe grayscale with one or two shades of gray). Once you have that you can worry about further stylizing it as appropriate for a website.

i thought he was looking for a web banner to place at the top of his blog based on his initial picture, but yeah if its just a "logo" Emon is right about keeping it way simple.
2012-06-12, 11:53 AM #19
It is just a web banner for the blog, facebook fan page, and potentially coffee mugs (for the three of us, not for sale).
2012-06-12, 11:58 AM #20
Man, and I thought the first one was the coolest. Oy gevalt!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-06-12, 12:25 PM #21
but, yeah if they work for you feel free to use them. :)
2012-06-12, 5:52 PM #22
An actual logo should be scalable and work in b/w. In other words a vector, not some text slapped onto a picture you found on the net with some photoshop effects on top.
You'll see what I meant when you get to the coffee mugs.
2012-06-12, 6:10 PM #23
Ha I guess that will learn me something good for trying to lend a hand without a doctorate in advanced logo engineering!
2012-06-12, 6:15 PM #24
I would suggest that you look movie posters from a variety of different successful, good movies (i.e. movies that would have had good designers doing their posters) of different eras and look for common themes in the typeface they use and overall presentation. In particular things that are old fashioned and iconic. Do an image search for "old fashioned movie posters" and perhaps try to emulate the type and style that they use. That'll make it easily recognizable. You can then maybe combine it with some other movie motif like a film strip.
2012-06-12, 7:25 PM #25
I WOULD BE REALLY ANGRY!!!!! :rant::argh: if i knew what vapid meant.:tinfoil:

2012-06-13, 2:16 AM #26
Unless you are reviewing very old and rare movies, I suggest having 4 perforations per frame on the film portion of your logo, and definitely having even spacing between the perforations.
2012-06-14, 1:36 AM #27
Originally posted by Roger Spruce:
this idea is

I like this one, it's clean, simple neat - only downside is that it's very generic and could fit a website of almost any theme, but depending on how the page itself is designed, could work really well.

besides, fancy banners are overrated these days.
The Gas Station
2012-06-14, 10:20 AM #28
Hey, do you take contributions for book reviews? If so, can write my thoughts on Writers of the Future Vol. 27, and (maybe) Pump Six. Both are short story collections. Peace!

EDIT: I may as well write them on GOOGLE+. :D
幻術
2012-06-14, 12:48 PM #29
Originally posted by Grant:
besides, fancy banners are overrated these days.

but would you go so far as to say they are completely overrated??? :ninja:

↑ Up to the top!