Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Question for law enforcement here
Question for law enforcement here
2012-06-15, 11:37 AM #1
I am moving out in two week, and my roommates are crazy. I own 90% of everything here, and I am very worried that they're going to take my two couches and chair to spite me and also because they can't afford them (they spend all their money on drugs)

The chair is from my old house and the two couches were my next door neighbors from my old house

If they take them will I have any valid claim to say that they stole them? What can I use for proof obviously I have no recepts or anything.

Thank you
2012-06-15, 11:55 AM #2
You have no receipts, no bills or anything from when you bought it, no one to corroborate the story (preferably not parents but better than nothing), nothing? If so, you have nothing.

Also, take photos. Lots of photos, right now, of everything. Keep the originals, and make copies labeling what is yours. That way, when it disappears, you can show exactly what was stolen. Even take a video for good measure (people often do this for home insurance purposes, it's a great idea).
2012-06-15, 12:00 PM #3
the furniture is my main concern, I plan to use my former neighbors as any sort of evidence and photos they have of the furniture, that plus the fact they said they gave it to me should be sufficient?

By what you're telling me its seem possible that I could take a picture of anything and claim its mine

Let's say I had this evidence (my neighbors testimony, plus photos of having it) where would I go to make this claim of theft?
2012-06-15, 12:09 PM #4
You can't just take a photo of anything, that's why I said you need to have something to back it up. The photos are just to detail exactly what was taken, that it was in your apartment, etc.

Using neighbors to corroborate that it was your furniture will help, but obviously none of it is as good as having a receipt or bill or whatever that you bought it.

If your stuff is taken, you go to the police, duh.
2012-06-15, 12:31 PM #5
sigh I can tell this is going to be long and grueling conflict if they try anything stupid
2012-06-15, 12:37 PM #6
Just take it all first?
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2012-06-15, 12:46 PM #7
Yeah, that was my first instinct. Bring some friends with you, move it a day or two before you officially "move out", and make it a non-issue. Bonus points if you fully move out and live with a friend for the 1-2 days, thus making sure they can't take ANYTHING.
2012-06-15, 12:47 PM #8
Yeah, seems to me the better option if at all possible would be to preempt any of their plans to "steal" your things by moving them out of the house unexpectedly. Kind of a dick move, but then again, so is stealing someone's furniture.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2012-06-15, 1:10 PM #9
The new place I'm going to is allowing me to take the keys 1-2 days in advanced, I have reserved a truck and enlisted help. They definately have an opportunity to make a move before me, I've also considered just saying now "look, this is my property, just so were clear in two weeks", and basically threaten him in a non threatening way
2012-06-15, 1:19 PM #10
^Just tell them that now. No reason to threaten them, just set the record straight.
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2012-06-15, 1:35 PM #11
Murder them.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2012-06-15, 1:59 PM #12
lace their drugs with poison... nobody will point fingers at you unless you're their dealer
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2012-06-15, 5:05 PM #13
I confronted him, I would have hated to do all that sneaking about unless it was necessary. I just questioned what we were splitting that we co-owned and reminded him that the furniture was given to me. He said he knew and he didn't seem shocked or angry so he must've already considered this.

Nevertheless, as once said by Worf, Son of Mogh, I will kill him at the first sign of betrayal
2012-06-15, 5:15 PM #14
That was probably the best way to handle it. I was under the impression from your original post, that you had already discussed it, and there was argument about who owned what.

Hopefully all goes well. If you still think he might try to pull something, it still might not be a bad idea for you to "change your plans last minute" so to speak. (ie tell him you're moving out a certain day, then pick a day a few days prior and ACTUALLY move out. Then right beforehand be like "Oh, change of plans, I'm moving out in an hour. The van's on its way." That way he won't have time to pull some nonsense.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2012-06-15, 5:20 PM #15
Yes, from what I can tell he is moving out on the same day I am, which is the 29th, which is the day before our lease ends. I am an early bird where he likes to sleep in and smoke copious amounts of weed until about noon, I will definately be able to begin and almost complete the move out before he can even sip his morning coffee.
2012-06-15, 5:55 PM #16
Moving out in a week?

Put everything in storage tomorrow. That's how I got away with stealing my roommates wicked couch.
2012-06-15, 5:56 PM #17
I always wondered why your name was couchman. Now I know.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-06-15, 7:44 PM #18
Originally posted by JM:
Moving out in a week?

Put everything in storage tomorrow. That's how I got away with stealing my roommates wicked couch.

Two weeks. That'll cost me too, and I'll have to pay for the transportation twice to move the stuff there. A bit too much time/money when now he has confirmed they're mine.

Originally posted by Tracer:
I always wondered why your name was couchman. Now I know.

I haven't sat in them for literally months. My life has been invaded. They're borderline horders. Their stuff is everywhere. They are filthy beasts. You can't even see the floor of their room because it is covered in clothes and everything else you can imagine. Every pot and pan is used before they are washed and even then only he need materials are washed to get dirty again.

I have never seen such filth in my life. How can people live in such chaos.

And the smell of the weed. How can someone like that stink. They bought 4 rats, they stink even worse.

In two weeks I can rebuild my existence. I already have a dinner date set with this sexy woman I knew in HS. COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY WWWWOOOOHOHOHOHOHOH!!!HHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
2012-06-15, 10:23 PM #19
aw yeah, the couchman returns!!!! WOOO! taking back your couches is only the beginning
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-06-16, 4:41 PM #20
Dammit of course I'm too late to be the first one to point out that Couchman is worried about his couches.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2012-06-16, 5:29 PM #21
they're always after his lucky couches
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2012-06-16, 5:39 PM #22
couches
2012-06-16, 5:39 PM #23
men
2012-06-16, 5:40 PM #24
can this get any better
2012-06-16, 5:43 PM #25
If he does end up taking your couches, would he be deemed a... couche bag?
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2012-06-16, 5:49 PM #26
uh how's that pronounced darth j
2012-06-16, 5:56 PM #27
That, my friend, is up to the reader.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2012-06-16, 8:13 PM #28
I want to burn everything that is related to couches.
>>untie shoes
2012-06-17, 2:41 AM #29
Originally posted by Antony:
I want to burn everything that is related to couches.

If you're asking me to host a party when I get my new place then I accept. Bring a Massassi themed cake! BUILD IT WITH COGS
2012-06-17, 7:24 AM #30
Will I get to burn you?
>>untie shoes
2012-06-17, 12:32 PM #31
we must ignite this couch
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.

↑ Up to the top!