Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Krav Maga, anyone?
Krav Maga, anyone?
2012-06-17, 2:44 PM #1
I took an intro class last week and am seriously considering going full time (2-3x/week) - workout benefits aside, asskickery skills are good to have and mine aren't as awesome as I would like.

Does anyone have any experience? Or is there something else I should look at? I'm more interested in decisive/efficient physical defense than I am a martial art to go compete/etc.
woot!
2012-06-17, 2:49 PM #2
Oy!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-06-17, 2:57 PM #3
Krav Maga, hmmm, pretty... trendy. Get on it!
2012-06-17, 7:56 PM #4
Sounds cool, go for it. Make sure they spar, though. That's always fun. :)
幻術
2012-06-17, 9:24 PM #5
Originally posted by saberopus:
Krav Maga, hmmm, pretty... trendy. Get on it!

Is it? I had no idea, been thinking about it for years.
woot!
2012-06-17, 9:27 PM #6
Join the Navy Seals.

o.0
2012-06-17, 9:44 PM #7
Originally posted by JLee:
Is it? I had no idea, been thinking about it for years.

"Karate? Karate is like the Dane Cook of martial arts. We do Krav Maga."

sounds good man, let us know how it goes!
2012-06-17, 10:40 PM #8
You'll likely benefit in some way from any martial art & you could certainly choose one worse.
? :)
2012-06-17, 10:44 PM #9
Originally posted by saberopus:
"Karate? Karate is like the Dane Cook of martial arts. We do Krav Maga."

sounds good man, let us know how it goes!

Yeah, Tuesdays he does a really rigorous spin class.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2012-06-18, 12:31 PM #10
I've started taking Tai Chi (as the martial art, not some other focus) as of the end of April myself.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2012-06-18, 7:19 PM #11
Originally posted by Gebohq:
I've started taking Tai Chi (as the martial art, not some other focus) as of the end of April myself.

There's a local place teaching that as well - a lot cheaper, actually. What are your thoughts so far?
woot!
2012-06-18, 9:04 PM #12
Depends on what you're looking to get out of a martial art, I'd imagine. For me, I like Tai Chi's more defensive style, it's easy application for improving general health, and its relevant philosophies. From my understanding, it is really easy to find yourself in a class that teaches it only in name and impression, though I presume that could be said of martial arts classes in general. I'd certainly suggest giving it a shot and see if it's your thing, if nothing else. It's definitely deceptively hard on your legs.
2012-06-19, 9:52 AM #13
Maybe everyone just like to blow their own trumpet, but I think plain old boxing (or kickboxing if you like to kick stuff) can teach you more of what you need to know in an actual fight, and teach you quicker than KM or anything else. Chin down, hands up. :D Though like Gebohq said, really depends on what you want to get out of it.
幻術
2012-06-23, 4:02 PM #14
One of the discounts I get through work is a Krav Maga class. I go to the site and where is it hosted? Miami and Israel. Wtf
:master::master::master:
2012-06-23, 5:33 PM #15
Originally posted by Gebohq:
For me, I like Tai Chi's more defensive style, it's easy application for improving general health, and its relevant philosophies.

Quote:
Wikipedia
The philosophy of T'ai Chi Ch'uan is that, if one uses hardness to resist violent force, then both sides are certain to be injured at least to some degree. Such injury, according to t'ai chi theory, is a natural consequence of meeting brute force with brute force. Instead, students are taught not to directly fight or resist an incoming force, but to meet it in softness and follow its motion while remaining in physical contact until the incoming force of attack exhausts itself or can be safely redirected, meeting yang with yin. Done correctly, this yin/yang or yang/yin balance in combat, or in a broader philosophical sense, is a primary goal of t'ai chi ch'uan training. Lao Tzu provided the archetype for this in the Tao Te Ching when he wrote, "The soft and the pliable will defeat the hard and strong."

I like it.
2012-06-23, 6:03 PM #16
Yup. :)
2012-06-23, 6:53 PM #17
I would recommend you check out Mantis Boxing http://www.mantisboxing.com/Introduction.xml

My LPO does it, and he swears by it over any other martial art for practical fighting skill. He's shown me a few things with it, and it seems pretty legit.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.

↑ Up to the top!