Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Dollar Shave Club
Dollar Shave Club
2012-06-17, 6:22 PM #1
http://www.dollarshaveclub.com

Ran across this today, and with all the discussion about shaving that has gone on here in the past, I thought some of you might be interested in checking this out. Looks like it could be a pretty good deal.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2012-06-17, 7:39 PM #2
Shaving is for women's legs.
2012-06-18, 10:47 PM #3
I shave my balls more often than I shave my face.
>>untie shoes
2012-06-19, 2:17 PM #4
hmm... if i still used those type of razors i could seriously check into this. as it is i only pay about 20$ a year for blades anyways.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-06-19, 7:50 PM #5
I would be marginally more interested in this if their god damned commercial wasn't so annoyingly derivative.
2012-06-20, 8:15 AM #6
Hmm. I can stretch a single Mach3 blade for weeks, but it doesn't work very well by the time I finally throw it out. I'd like to try something else, but straight razors scare me.
woot!
2012-06-20, 9:25 AM #7
Originally posted by JLee:
Hmm. I can stretch a single Mach3 blade for weeks, but it doesn't work very well by the time I finally throw it out. I'd like to try something else, but straight razors scare me.

there are many other options than just disposable/straight

you could go with an double edge safety razor... a vintage gillette in good shaving condition can be had for under $10, blades can be found locally in many areas (even walmart carries them $2/10), and if you want to go full old school and go soap/brush you can get a decent omega brush for around $10 soaps range from under $2 all the way up to "you paid what for shave soap?"...

when i started out i spent less than $25... i'd suggest checking out badger and blade or the shave den... you can find some good deals there and possibly score some freebies (people are always giving away random stuff on those sites) and find plenty of tips to help get you started
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2012-06-20, 10:01 AM #8
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
there are many other options than just disposable/straight

you could go with an double edge safety razor... a vintage gillette in good shaving condition can be had for under $10, blades can be found locally in many areas (even walmart carries them $2/10), and if you want to go full old school and go soap/brush you can get a decent omega brush for around $10 soaps range from under $2 all the way up to "you paid what for shave soap?"...

when i started out i spent less than $25... i'd suggest checking out badger and blade or the shave den... you can find some good deals there and possibly score some freebies (people are always giving away random stuff on those sites) and find plenty of tips to help get you started

Hmm something like this?
woot!
2012-06-20, 1:26 PM #9
That's very similar to what I use JLee. The blades come in like a pack of 8 at the dollar store. But I've been using the same blade for a week or two now...

And if that razor seems scary compared to the 2+ blade cartridge things, it shouldn't. I get a much cleaner, faster, easier shave with this thing than I ever did with Mach 3 or Gillette Quadcore or whatever they've got going now.
2012-06-20, 7:13 PM #10
I just use one of the gillette 5 bladed ones. It's orange. I don't know what it's called. It works nicely. I almost never cut my junk.
>>untie shoes
2012-06-20, 7:27 PM #11
Fusion. I use the same one.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2012-06-20, 7:50 PM #12
Yeah that's it. It's got the single blade on the back. Good razor. Blades are expensive, though.
>>untie shoes
2012-06-20, 7:57 PM #13
Hella expensive. Especially when you don't use saving cream/gel. My solution is to shave less.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2012-06-20, 8:17 PM #14
Same here. I had a bunch of blades for it that I confiscated from kids who threatened suicide in boot camp. Lasted me over a year. The blades last quite a while, but not long enough to justify the cost.
>>untie shoes
2012-06-20, 9:43 PM #15
Escali 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush
Proraso Shaving Soap, Ultra Sensitive Skin 5.2 oz (147 g)
10 Feather Razor Blades NEW Hi-stainless Double Edge
Edwin Jagger De87bl Faux Ivory Double Edge Safety Razor, Ivory

Perfect.

o.0
2012-06-20, 10:57 PM #16
Or if you want a brush that won't fall apart, is actually softer, and isn't made from unnecessary inhumane slaughter, try this
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2012-06-20, 11:04 PM #17
My brush hasn't fallen apart and doesn't feel rough at all. Throwing it away to be more humane doesn't make sense.

o.0
2012-06-20, 11:08 PM #18
I didn't say you should throw it away.
2012-06-20, 11:10 PM #19
That's fair. From what little research I did, synthetics don't have a good reputation. Nice to know some are made well.

o.0
2012-06-21, 12:01 AM #20
Most of them have thick fibers and don't absorb water well. This one is very fine and works extremely well. It's hard to tell it's synthetic.
2012-06-21, 4:10 AM #21
I realised a while back that I absolutely hate the feeling of being clean shaven, so now I just use a trimmer and sport a constant 1 day stubble.
nope.
2012-06-21, 7:15 AM #22
Originally posted by Baconfish:
I realised a while back that I absolutely hate the feeling of being clean shaven, so now I just use a trimmer and sport a constant 1 day stubble.

For the last 8 years or so, I've had to be clean-shaven for work. :(
woot!
2012-06-21, 8:21 AM #23
My job has a rule of "No growing a beard on company time", which I assume means that if I go in clean shaven and leave with a beard, I get fired.
nope.
2012-06-21, 1:30 PM #24
Originally posted by JLee:
For the last 8 years or so, I've had to be clean-shaven for work. :(

Yeah, there tends to be this thing where when your job requires a starched collar, you probably have to be clean shaven all the time...
>>untie shoes

↑ Up to the top!