Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So Diablo 3 is losing players like mad..
So Diablo 3 is losing players like mad..
2012-06-29, 12:40 PM #1
I guess the game hit a new low of only 500 players in public games. Granted, a majority play in private games but that is still rather shocking.

http://beta.xfire.com/games/d3

Xfire stats show a consistent general decline for the group of players that use Xfire and Diablo 3.

The D3 forums are littered with posts complaining and asking for refunds..

Massive blow to Blizzard's reputation, I'd say.
2012-06-29, 12:47 PM #2
Wait, people still use Xfire?
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2012-06-29, 12:48 PM #3
TIL there's still people who even use Xfire.

And asking for refunds isn't anything new for any game with a forum. The forum is filled with ignorant morons who blame Blizzard for everything under the sun.

Frankly couldn't give two hoots about Public Games, they're generally terrible anyway.
2012-06-29, 2:48 PM #4
Most games taper off pretty quickly. Diablo 3 isn't a MMO, in spite of how hard some people try to turn it into one.
2012-06-29, 2:54 PM #5
Damn, there goes my plan of quitting my job and living off selling items in Diablo 3...
2012-06-29, 6:13 PM #6
Saw that coming, all that time in production and they had little to show for it. The artwork wasn't of sufficient quality/match with Di/ii, character types were terrible, and skill system huge let down.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2012-06-29, 6:28 PM #7
Originally posted by Ruthven:
Saw that coming, all that time in production and they had little to show for it. The artwork wasn't of sufficient quality/match with Di/ii, character types were terrible, and skill system huge let down.

I think you didn't read the thread.
2012-06-29, 7:51 PM #8
Originally posted by Cool Matty:

I know you're going to assume I'm biased but I don't think you realize exactly how many people really are disappointed in this release
2012-06-29, 8:25 PM #9
Originally posted by Reid:
I know you're going to assume I'm biased but I don't think you realize exactly how many people really are disappointed in this release

I won't deny the launch was awful, because it was.

I will deny that it's as bad as you imply. Especially considering your sources of "Blizzard Forums" and XFIRE.
2012-06-29, 8:27 PM #10
I won't deny the launch was awful, because it was.

I will deny that it's as bad as you imply. Especially considering your sources of "Blizzard Forums" and XFIRE.

What's wrong with xfire? it's pretty close to an unbiased place to sample from
2012-06-29, 8:29 PM #11
What's wrong with xfire? it's pretty close to an unbiased place to sample from

A. Not even close to unbiased (it's more popular in some areas/people than others)
B. It's an incredibly small sample size (because who the hell uses it)
C. Even the data on Xfire doesn't really corroborate your story much. It's still third place for games being played, and is against some stiff competition with that.

Besides, if I were to believe Xfire, nearly as many people play Aion as they do SWTOR. Really?
2012-06-29, 8:38 PM #12
A. Not even close to unbiased (it's more popular in some areas/people than others)

links?

B. It's an incredibly small sample size (because who the hell uses it)

it's not that small actually, and for us plebians that can't access blizzards stats is probably the biggest sample group we have

C. Even the data on Xfire doesn't really corroborate your story much. It's still third place for games being played, and is against some stiff competition with that.

Just because people play it doesn't mean it's not in decline

Besides, if I were to believe Xfire, nearly as many people play Aion as they do SWTOR. Really?

How do you know that isn't true?
2012-06-29, 9:25 PM #13
links?

You can't be that dumb to actually require proof of this.

Quote:
it's not that small actually, and for us plebians that can't access blizzards stats is probably the biggest sample group we have

Yeah, we'll just ignore that it's basically the largest selling PC game of all time. And yes, it is small. Hell, during its heydey it wasn't even that popular. I don't understand why anyone uses it anyway, it's horrendously bloated and looks like ass.

Quote:
Just because people play it doesn't mean it's not in decline

Just because it's in decline doesn't mean it's "losing players like mad". Every non-MMO is in decline shortly after launch, and even most MMOs.

Quote:
How do you know that isn't true?

Because Aion's been out for what, 3 years now, and had to go free-to-play just to keep revenue up?
2012-06-29, 9:27 PM #14
You can't be that dumb to actually require proof of this.

Yeah, we'll just ignore that it's basically the largest selling PC game of all time. And yes, it is small. Hell, during its heydey it wasn't even that popular. I don't understand why anyone uses it anyway, it's horrendously bloated and looks like ass.

Just because it's in decline doesn't mean it's "losing players like mad". Every non-MMO is in decline shortly after launch, and even most MMOs.

Because Aion's been out for what, 3 years now, and had to go free-to-play just to keep revenue up?

So really what you're saying here is that any real evidence, regardless of how strong is irrelevant and biased but your pure conjecture stands up tall? That's plain idiocy
2012-06-29, 10:22 PM #15
No, I was being completely serious. If you require proof that ANY software does not have demographics, you're dumb.

Everything else has references that are first hits on Google.
2012-06-30, 11:52 AM #16
Xfire is a good predictor according to the guy who writes mmodata.net.

Quote:
About a million more people play Aion than TOR.

The main complaint I've heard about Diablo 3 is that it's extremely short. Since it's extremely short, and it isn't a MMORPG, and there isn't really anything to do in Diablo games, I don't know why anybody should be surprised that it's "losing players". It doesn't say anything about the quality of the game if people have stopped playing it. All it means is that it's in the same class as every other mass-market singleplayer game ever made.
2012-06-30, 12:30 PM #17
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Xfire is a good predictor according to the guy who writes mmodata.net.

Yeah my ass it is. Go look at the numbers on Xfire, they're laughable. The guy's own numbers don't even line up with Xfire.

Quote:
About a million more people play Aion than TOR.

Of course, always forget the Korean market, but if nothing else, that still shows how off Xfire is.

Quote:
The main complaint I've heard about Diablo 3 is that it's extremely short.

It's not short when compared to Diablo 2. It's actually about twice as long as Diablo 2, and doesn't even have a gigantic Act 3 of endless swamp.

Quote:
Since it's extremely short, and it isn't a MMORPG, and there isn't really anything to do in Diablo games, I don't know why anybody should be surprised that it's "losing players". It doesn't say anything about the quality of the game if people have stopped playing it. All it means is that it's in the same class as every other mass-market singleplayer game ever made.

This I agree with.

Hell, even if you insist on using Xfire, Diablo 3 actually managed to beat out League of Legends and WoW for a short period, something no other game has done. I don't see how you can call the game dying after such success.
2012-06-30, 1:21 PM #18

Of course not! I dont have time for that, I make brash statements based on the smallest cue in or out of context, because I'm politically savvy like that.
No really, I think I'm just slating DIII as being an example of how PC gaming is being killed off, I know the company wants to keep profits and keep game-play secure, but current methods aren't satisfactory. Or alternatively : Multiplayer sucks ass. If i wanted to interact socially, I'd turn off the computer and go outside.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2012-06-30, 2:41 PM #19
fuck diablo3 i got torchlight2 preorder
2012-06-30, 4:52 PM #20
I hear Arkham City and Skyrim lost players too...
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2012-06-30, 5:45 PM #21
Originally posted by KOP_Snake:
I hear Arkham City and Skyrim lost players too...

skyrim got so boring, just like oblivion, games are too easy IMO
2012-07-05, 1:12 PM #22
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/07/blizzard-admits-diablo-iii-is-a-game-that-ends

OH NOES!

↑ Up to the top!