Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Live webcast (Higgs Boson-like Particle Discovery)
Live webcast (Higgs Boson-like Particle Discovery)
2012-07-04, 12:54 AM #1
http://webcast.web.cern.ch/webcast/play_higgs.html

(The webcast has ended.)
2012-07-04, 12:58 AM #2
I still think you're either Canadian or British. Maybe. I'll find you.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-07-04, 1:40 AM #3
Audience burst into applause the second this slide appeared:
2012-07-04, 1:49 AM #4
http://profmattstrassler.com/2012/07/04/the-day-of-the-higgs
2012-07-04, 3:25 AM #5
Quote:
It's all about interactions. It's about them exchanging other particles as forces. With a particle like the electron — what gives the electron mass is really inertia, that's the property that we associate with massive particles. Mass and inertia go together. [/COLOR]
So since an electron or a quark has no extension in space, you sort of wonder where did the mass go? Well it's not that the mass resides with the electron or the proton. It's that the mass comes from its interaction with other things. And in this case, it's the Higgs field that gives this point particle — the electron — the appearance of inertia. That is what allows it to act like it's resisting changes in its motion. [/COLOR]
Whereas you have other particles like the photon which has no mass, and because of that it can go at the speed of light, whereas a massive particle will never be able to go at light speed. [/COLOR]
Q: So, if the Higgs didn't exist, what would the world look like? [/COLOR]
A: It would all be photons. Everything would be moving at the speed of light, right. Which means at light speed, you wouldn't be able to have the kinds of structures we see today. You'd never get atoms and chemistry and rocks. So it's really important. The property of mass is really important for getting clumpy structures, essentially, like us. [/COLOR]
Q: The particle has been described as the missing piece of the Standard Model. Is that a fair characterization? [/COLOR]
A: Yeah, pretty much. So the Standard Model is this beautiful edifice of modern particle physics that's really 40 years old. The pieces were really in place 40 years ago and people have just been going around and discovering them. [/COLOR]
The theory — the Standard Model predicted all these different pieces 40 years ago — and the quarks were part of it, the different flavors of neutrinos, some have been discovered and essentially the top quark was the last big thing that needed to be discovered and that was discovered in the mid-90s. And the Higgs boson, which was predicted not just by Peter Higgs but six different physicists at the same time, is the last piece of the Standard Model that needs to be discovered, that needs to be shown to be true. [/COLOR]
One of the interesting things about this is that for particle physicists, they're in a bit of a conundrum, where they've been working on the Standard Model for all these years. And the Higgs particle is an enormous achievement, but it's also for them a little bit boring because they've been expecting this for 40 years and they keep looking for ways to go beyond the Standard Model. [/COLOR]

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/07/04/156221787/cern-says-its-detected-a-new-particle-likely-the-higgs-boson
[/COLOR]
2012-07-04, 8:01 AM #6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAlgX4FNiyM

This is the entire broadcast since CERN isn't, or hasn't yet, put it up.

And a tl;dr summary:

They found a new particle, which may be the Higgs Boson. They can't confirm that yet, as they still need to test this particle's properties. Extensive testing will now be performed to determine this particle's properties and confirm whether this is the Higgs Boson, or another more exotic particle that they did not predict.
2012-07-04, 8:08 AM #7
I don't have a great understanding of it, but the parts I do are fascinating. It will be interesting to see what comes of it.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2012-07-04, 8:42 AM #8
Great, now we can work on tachyons.

-Once I saw a friend who'd been in the military a long time and we ran at each other with our arms open and collided at the speed of light and discovered the Huggs boson.
2012-07-04, 11:30 AM #9
So I guess now they shut down the collider? Maybe retrofit it into an awesome apartment complex?
2012-07-04, 11:33 AM #10
waiting for Jon C to post
2012-07-04, 12:41 PM #11
Originally posted by Couchman:
waiting for Jon C to post

what you dont know is that he IS the Higgs Boson...
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-07-04, 3:00 PM #12
I'll hihgs ypur bpsun
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-07-04, 6:11 PM #13
waiting for James Bond to post.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2012-07-04, 6:31 PM #14
(waiting for Friend14 to post)
2012-07-05, 12:14 AM #15
Waiting for Ian Higgins' Boyzone to post.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-07-05, 10:35 AM #16
JonC is slow as fuck so I'm now waiting for Jerry Sandusky to post
2012-07-05, 2:09 PM #17
ahahahaha, the NY Times is so insular that it has to use a stilted metaphor that reflects an unnatural obsession with Washington DC:
Quote:
According to the Standard Model, the Higgs boson is the only manifestation of an invisible force field, a cosmic molasses that permeates space and imbues elementary particles with mass. Particles wading through the field gain heft the way a bill going through Congress attracts riders and amendments, becoming ever more ponderous.

I had to utter an audible omgwtf when I saw this... what's next, a charged xerox drum that attracts toner particles the way uneducated voters flock to the ballot box according to racist/gay bashing preachers? (Or to get free stuff, etc.)
2012-07-06, 2:03 PM #18
Originally posted by JM:
So I guess now they shut down the collider? Maybe retrofit it into an awesome apartment complex?

I'm banking on antimatter production. We could make a bomb big enough to blow up the planet!
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2012-07-06, 9:21 PM #19
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
They found a new particle, which may be the Higgs Boson. They can't confirm that yet, as they still need to test this particle's properties. Extensive testing will now be performed to determine this particle's properties and confirm whether this is the Higgs Boson, or another more exotic particle that they did not predict.

reminded me of this:

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_Boson
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-07-06, 10:54 PM #20
Originally posted by Alan:

Lol! When I first heard about Simple English Wikipedia™, I immediately assumed it was a joke. When I found out it wasn't, I was horrified, and thought to myself that there must at least be a way to edit the wiki to have its proper title of Retarded Wikipedia™, or the like....
2012-07-07, 2:04 AM #21
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
(waiting for Friend14 to post)

I would love to hear his input.
He said to them: "You examine the face of heaven and earth, but you have not come to know the one who is in your presence, and you do not know how to examine the present moment." - Gospel of Thomas
2012-07-10, 5:19 PM #22
Originally posted by Ford:
waiting for James Bond to post.

Been slacking of late visiting massassi although this was the first post that caught my eye :)

Not a lot more to say really, a new boson has been seen, it fits, although not perfectly, a standard model higgs.

With it's mass being something on the low side, ~126 GeV, it keeps the door open to supersymmetry, so for every particle there is a "super-symmetric" partner, which beens we haven't seen any of them yet, they are likely to be super massive and great candidates for dark matter.

I personally was hoping the Higgs would never be found, it would have made stuff far far more interesting, but in the end CERN spotted a new boson in the region that fits a Higgs, but in some ways it's a "good" Higgs to find.

There is a lot more to look into yet, I can't quite remember the decay-channel that was mentioned by the CMS chap, but there is a deficiency of signal in a channel they would expect to see it in, that needs investigating and finding out why. Understanding this new boson and checking that it's properties match that predicted is still not an easy task to accomplish, you really need to understand the detection of the decay products to be able to start measuring spin (or lack thereof for the Higgs), CP violation (there should be none if I remember correctly), so some hard ole work to be done.

And if it all fits with the initial estimates, then dark matter, ie SUSY particles will be next on the target and hopefully within range of what the LHC can produce, which considering it was designed to run at 14 TeV and still is only at 10 TeV, there is more to come.

It was a really good a day and what's even better, my name is on the damn author list :neckbeard: , along with many many many others I should add, but still....friggin yay!!
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2012-07-11, 9:14 AM #23
Originally posted by poley:
It was a really good a day and what's even better, my name is on the damn author list :neckbeard: , along with many many many others I should add, but still....friggin yay!!

Serious congratulations!
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2012-07-11, 6:40 PM #24
Originally posted by poley:

That is awesome! congratulations Sir.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob

↑ Up to the top!