Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Help with an A/V question
Help with an A/V question
2012-07-08, 9:03 PM #1
So I have a media center PC that has video and audio connected to my TV. It's primarily used for Netflix, watching video files, or listening to music through iTunes. But there's one problem. Even with the volume on the computer and the volume on the TV all the way up, the output from the TV speakers is fairly quiet.

I do have a 5.1 speaker setup attached through my DVD player, and was able to port the computer audio through that, but it created approximately 1 second of lag, which makes watching Netflix movies or other videos unbearable.

But, I don't mind using the TV speakers, if I can up the volume a bit. So I'm wondering is there an amplifier I can buy that takes a standard audio input jack (3.5mm or whatever it is) and outputs a heightened volume? I don't even know what this thing would be called, so google's not helping much. Did a search for "single channel amplifier" and that brought up lots of results, but I'm not sure if that's what I want.

Can anyone help?
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2012-07-08, 9:07 PM #2
Hook up the 5.1 system correctly.

Or buy a 2.1 computer speaker setup, and connect it to the audio out on the TV.

o.0
2012-07-08, 9:19 PM #3
The 5.1 came with the DVD player. It's hooked up to that, and won't hook up any other way, unless there's something else I can buy that will let me bypass the DVD player? (It's one of those things where you stick the speaker wire directly into the back of the player by letting the spring crimp the wire into place.)

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2012-07-08, 9:34 PM #4
Get an actual surround system then, instead of some $50 piece of crap.
2012-07-08, 10:41 PM #5
Well I'm kinda looking for a less expensive solution... I'm not exactly Donald Trump.

2012-07-08, 11:57 PM #6
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-000382-Z313-Speaker-System/dp/B002HWRZ2K/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1341816992&sr=1-9&keywords=2.1+computer+speakers

If your TV doesn't have a 3.5mm out, use this: http://www.amazon.com/Male-3-5mm-Stereo-Female-Y-Cable/dp/B000I23TTE/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b

o.0
2012-07-09, 7:19 AM #7
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
Well I'm kinda looking for a less expensive solution... I'm not exactly Donald Trump.

It doesn't cost a thousand dollars to get a receiver that actually does its job (amplifying, decoding and routing audio).
2012-07-09, 9:05 AM #8
so... that's kind of the point of this thread (the fact that I don't know anything about this stuff). What the hell is a receiver and why do I need one?

2012-07-09, 9:29 AM #9
A receiver is what your DVD player is pretending to do. It does exactly what I said. It acts as an amplifier for your speakers, decodes digital audio (think Dolby Digital and DTS), routes audio between devices (like from your dvd to your TV and from your PC to your TV), has a ton of proper audio/video inputs and outputs, tunes radio, and a bunch more. It's like your car stereo except much larger, with much more inputs and power.

You can get receivers for only a few hundred depending on the options and power you want. You already have the speakers, so you only need the receiver. Ideally you'll want to make sure it has the TOSLINK Optical Audio jack (most receivers have more than one). It has the best audio quality, and your HTPC should have an output for it as well.

This is a good example: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Yamaha+-+500W+5.1-Ch.+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver/4566122.p?id=1218487064779&skuId=4566122

Don't get that, but it's a good idea of the price and features.
2012-07-09, 1:48 PM #10
Ok that makes sense. Thanks for explaining... Anyway, if I'm gonna have to spend a couple hundred to do this right, I'm probably gonna have to hold off until I can work it into my budget.

But.. you said don't get the one you linked. Why not? Anything in particular I should be looking for or avoiding? Whenever I get one, I'll probably order through Newegg. Do you have any recommendations? (Either a specific receiver or a brand).

2012-07-09, 4:16 PM #11
I said not to get that one because I did zero research on good deals, features, and reviews. It was just the first hit for a decent price range.
2012-07-10, 1:16 PM #12
Your TV actually has an amplifier built in. It expects a low, line level signal on its audio input and then amplifies it through its speakers. What you're describing is a preamp, which would add a little bit of amplification before the actual amplifier. I don't know what the maximum input the TV can handle is or if it would be a safe idea to attempt to preamp the signal. Chances are what's coming out of your PC is already fairly strong. You might check the audio enhancements stuff in Windows or in your sound drivers' control panel to see if there's anything like bass boost enabled that may be affecting the volume of the output. Aside from that, your best option is really to get a proper system as already suggested. You don't have to break the bank. Logitech is a good choice here.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2012-07-10, 1:26 PM #13
Can you just use your PC as a DVD player and have it go through your 5.1 setup?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2012-07-10, 5:08 PM #14
Emon, thanks for the info in your first post.. I'll check into that. As to the second post, the speakers aren't computer speakers. They came with the DVD player. I'd prefer not to have to get new speakers, and I don't think I like the idea of using the DVD player on the computer...

↑ Up to the top!