Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → War Inc Battlezone stole sounds from JK!
War Inc Battlezone stole sounds from JK!
2012-07-28, 1:12 PM #1
So I was watching this video of a ****ty F2P shooter called War Inc, and I hear a very familiar sound at around 4:04. wtf!! It gave me serious flashbacks whenever I heard it. Is it the Bryar pistol that makes that sound? I had to tell somebody about it but this was the only place I could think of where people would know what I was talking about
2012-07-28, 1:19 PM #2
Yeah, that's the sound. Sounds a bit different from the one in JK, though, so it might be from Dark Forces or possibly Shadows of the Empire as well.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-07-28, 1:35 PM #3
Most people don't know this, but many, many games use what's called a "sound library". A sound library is a commercial licensed database of random sounds (thousands of them) that companies can license and use. So what you may consider to be a "Jedi Knight" sound file is likely from one of the sound libraries, and they just happened to use the same one.
2012-07-28, 2:11 PM #4
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Most people don't know this, but many, many games use what's called a "sound library". A sound library is a commercial licensed database of random sounds (thousands of them) that companies can license and use. So what you may consider to be a "Jedi Knight" sound file is likely from one of the sound libraries, and they just happened to use the same one.

this is true. the "metal clink" sounds from walking on metal in JK was from a sound library, i remember hearing it before in one
2012-07-28, 2:16 PM #5

This must be why I notice sounds from JK pop up in movies a lot. They really did a good job with the sounds in JK. They were very memorable.
2012-07-28, 2:59 PM #6

Ahh that makes sense. I guess that's why I've heard sounds from video games in some movies and vice versa. I assumed that Lucasarts would have produced all of their own sound effects, but it must be a lot cheaper to just use a soundbank.
2012-07-28, 3:51 PM #7
When you need hundreds of sound effects, then yes, it is cheaper. Lucasarts still makes many of their own (after all, lightsabers are a trademark sound), but the rest most certainly don't need to be. The rail detonator sounds are an often-heard example for instance.
2012-07-28, 5:17 PM #8
What I want to know is where Kyle's scream from Dark Forces came from; it always scared the bejesus out of me.
2012-07-28, 8:11 PM #9
I believe that's really Jason Court.

-There's a "broken technology" sound that comes up a lot in JK and MotS that also shows up when Wedge shoots the Death Star's core in Return of the Jedi. Freaks me out whenever I rewatch it.
2012-07-28, 8:18 PM #10
No, actually I found the scream; this is DF 1, not 2. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howie_scream

It blows my mind that I did not recognize this sound when playing Starcraft a few years after I played DF.
2012-07-29, 7:31 PM #11
Ah, misread the question.

-That one also comes up in the opening credits of "Ah! Real Monsters!"

↑ Up to the top!