Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Lessons from a game named like apple juice
Lessons from a game named like apple juice
2012-08-09, 1:19 AM #1
MotS, of course!

http://www.interrobling.com/lessons-from-a-game-named-like-apple-juice/

Last holiday season, I revisited the game to build a mod for an annual LAN party with old friends. I've recently started a blog and took a moment to write down some things I learned modding that apply to my work and life today.

For those of you participating in building or anticipating playing levels in the Massassi Level Pack contest: how does this compare with your experiences?

I'm also just getting started blogging (I haven't done this in years), so any feedback on the format, style, or content would be appreciated!
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2012-08-09, 12:46 PM #2
I started editing with the Quake 3 engine, so I think I may had better, less tedious experiences than if I started with SITH.

I tried briefly with JK level editing but it was a head-to-wall experience. Would I have spent as much time as I did editing during my teenage years if I had to do it over again? **** yes. But I would have more sex and do more sports though (should have stuck with rowing instead of tennis).
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2012-08-09, 12:58 PM #3
I enjoyed reading this a lot, Gris!
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2012-08-10, 1:51 AM #4
Pretty good read. Sometimes I wonder if I could have had a shot at becoming a proficient editor, but that would have meant editing the latest games when they were still new. Not to mention that I could have at least focused on finishing my main projects for JK and DX all those years ago instead of playing Internet mind games. Which is why Deus Ex: Nihilum will be The FGR Project To End All FGR Projects since my skills at game editing are far too outdated for me to attempt making my personal magnum opus that I've planned bit-by-bit since late 2000. ALAS, it was not MEANT to be.

But while all these editing endeavours won't benefit me a bit in the future, I do honestly think they were worth it. The main difference between editing JK and DX would be that with DX, there are really stupid issues (some even dumber than JK's) but they don't disable me in the same way as stuff like ONLY24DYNAMICLIGHTSCANBEACTIVEONTHESCREENTOOMANYSOUNDSACTIVEATTHEMOMENTLETSDISABLETHEMRANDOMLY did. Huh.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-08-10, 3:09 AM #5
I also enjoyed reading this, thanks for sharing.
幻術
2012-08-10, 5:16 AM #6
Nice post! I did a little modding back in the day and your post brought on a little nostalgia. Sometimes I think about re-visiting old projects but then I realise I don't really have the time.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW

↑ Up to the top!