Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Political Nightmare: How would you fix the USA?
Political Nightmare: How would you fix the USA?
2012-08-31, 6:58 PM #41
Originally posted by Reid:
Do you care to elaborate on why you feel this way?
def.

Teachers have a profound, but understated, influence upon their students. The risk isn't just that teachers will teach the material incorrectly (which they often do, cf. the ever-rising emphasis on standardized testing) but rather that teachers will communicate their poor attitudes and anxieties about the material. Reluctant, apathetic teachers will also express frustration at having to answer questions or give additional help to students, teaching children that it is socially improper to seek additional help. Beyond being obvious as all hell, this is (increasingly) well-documented in the pedagogy literature. For example, the paper I cited.

In other words, I feel this way for the best possible reason: because it is empirically correct to feel this way.

Edit: ^- answers the part about pedagogical incompetence.

About mathematics being useful to everybody: I'll give you two arguments that should completely convince you.

1.) It is useful in a literal sense. It depends on what you're doing, but I can come up with a scenario for everything. Calculus is the study of areas and rates. Linear Algebra is the study of direction. Combinatorics is the study of counting things. Statistics is the study of uncertainty. If you deal with any of these things, there is a place in your life for higher mathematics. If you don't deal with any of these things, you are probably catatonic.

2.) Mathematics is a part of our culture, especially as a technologically-advanced civilization. We should study mathematics simply so that we can understand the attitudes and beliefs that pervade our culture. We should study mathematics for the same reason we should study English literature and history.
2012-08-31, 6:58 PM #42
Ok, I'm just making sure. Many times people like to say they'll go get a job doing something manual, and they have no idea how hard it often actually is.
>>untie shoes
2012-08-31, 7:12 PM #43
Originally posted by Jon`C:
def.

Teachers have a profound, but understated, influence upon their students. The risk isn't just that teachers will teach the material incorrectly (which they often do, cf. the ever-rising emphasis on standardized testing) but rather that teachers will communicate their poor attitudes and anxieties about the material. Reluctant, apathetic teachers will also express frustration at having to answer questions or give additional help to students, teaching children that it is socially improper to seek additional help. Beyond being obvious as all hell, this is (increasingly) well-documented in the pedagogy literature. For example, the paper I cited.

In other words, I feel this way for the best possible reason: because it is empirically correct to feel this way.

I can actually relate to this because, when I think about what I learned in high school, there was 2 teachers where I distinctly remember most of what I learned in their classes. One tried to basically turn each lecture into a stand-up comedy session, and he would even make the class sing songs together and we did a stock market project (it was economics). I don't remember as much as I should have in government, because.. well I was bored in government.

The other teacher I loved was my AP computer science teacher, who let me work on a project to develop a 2d game instead of doing homework as long as I did well on tests. That was probably the most fun I ever had in public school.. I know personal anecdote isn't a sound method to judge by, but I'd have to say I agree with you.

Can you think of some policies to implement to help remedy this problem? To be clear, I'm not trying to imply that my solution is ideal. It's just a policy that I feel would improve the current system.

Originally posted by Antony:
Ok, I'm just making sure. Many times people like to say they'll go get a job doing something manual, and they have no idea how hard it often actually is.

In a perfect world, no one would have to do any manual labor at all. Some people have to. Hell, in a vocational system we could even have classes to teach people how to lift boxes properly to help improve worker health..
2012-08-31, 11:15 PM #44
I wonder if Jon thinks teachers affect students more than the institution of school itself.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2012-08-31, 11:52 PM #45
Originally posted by mscbuck:
You're tax expert is spouting off about pretty limited studies. That 70% number is calculated using only the simplest of simple models with 1 tax rate, and a broad estimation of a single labor elasticity.

A good study on marginal tax rates adjusts for, and must address the following issues:

1. Because marginal rates and average rates move together, it's often hard to disentangle the marginal effect from tax reform
2. Accurate estimation of labor elasticity
3. Capital/Money flight
4. The optimization of tax also depends on if that tax money is spent wisely compared to the private market
5. Being able to shift money between capital, corporate, and income accounts
6. Income inequality trends

AKA, much tax research is horribly simplified and in no way represents current progressive tax systems. Not saying you are wrong, we probably should raise the marginal tax rate, but saying that 70% is a good number is just misusing research.

I appreciate the clarification. In my friend's defense, he only told me that 65-75% was considered the "best estimate," to which I probably attached a greater degree of confidence than he meant me to.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2012-09-01, 5:30 AM #46
I think we should vote for the party we find the most... sexful.

This is not a joke.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-09-01, 5:59 AM #47
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2012-09-01, 11:17 AM #48
Transfer ownership of the means of production to the working class and implement a planned economy. Duh

↑ Up to the top!