Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Pre-Order Bonuses!
Pre-Order Bonuses!
2012-08-30, 10:53 PM #1
... Are stupid! I have literally not bought multiple games that I would have otherwise purchased at launch, Arkham City and Borderlands 2, because the full game comes out a year later for 1/3rd the price. Am I just a different part of the market, or are pre-order bonuses going to end up being a short lived fad that hurts sales instead of increase them?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2012-08-31, 8:00 AM #2
How are Pre-Order Bonuses stupid when you aren't concerned about getting them? So you have different tastes.

I only pre-ordered one game in my entire life and that was Metroid Prime Trilogy. I got a nice T-shirt that I still have (don't worry, it's a graphic tee but not too graphic for it to be tacky). Too bad I got blood on it.

People like certain games a lot to the point of pre-ordering and game companies know that they make a huge portion of their sales at launch. So you wait for Steam Summer Sales to get certain games, like everyone else on Massassi, no?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2012-08-31, 9:27 AM #3
Wind Waker. Best. Pre-order. Bonus. Ever.
2012-08-31, 9:37 AM #4
The one time I've been tempted by the preorder bonus was the collector's edition of Driver San Francisco. It comes with this:

[https://static.coolshop.com/images/boxshots/67471-forside.jpg]
nope.
2012-08-31, 10:02 AM #5
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
How are Pre-Order Bonuses stupid when you aren't concerned about getting them? So you have different tastes.

I do want the pre-order bonuses, specifically the "exclusive" DLC: I just don't want to choose one among many. I would like to play all of the content they made for the game at launch, instead of purchase the game of the year version way later with all of that included. It's already a problem with DLCs, but at least I can get those as they come out. Exclusive DLCs mean I literally cannot play that content unless I were to either repurchase the game once it's GotY, or not purchase the initial copy at all.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2012-08-31, 10:47 AM #6
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
People like certain games a lot to the point of pre-ordering and game companies know that they make a huge portion of their sales at launch. So you wait for Steam Summer Sales to get certain games, like everyone else on Massassi, no?

This is called price discrimination. It allows game manufacturers to capture consumer surplus. i.e. some people are willing to pay more for a game because it is worth more to them, so if the firm is really wasting money if they don't find a way to make them pay more for it.

It's me. I'm the one who gets dragon statues, treasure chests, lunchboxes and busts.
2012-08-31, 11:18 AM #7
I think part of my problem is that I really enjoy being part of the day one community and discoveries in the game. That social interaction is really diminished for me by having one version of the game and not being able to play the extras everyone else is talking about. I feel penalized for buying it right away and not waiting to hear at least what the best exclusive is worth buying. I'd like more things like the battlefield 90 dollar subscription to the game and it's DLCs.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2012-08-31, 12:14 PM #8
Last year I was burned by some particularly bad pre-order choices (Homefront, Rage) and now I tend to avoid it. I do admit I'm more likely to pre-order it if the Bonus is a free game or TF2 hat. Most of the time ingame item's don't interest me at all.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-08-31, 8:20 PM #9
Originally posted by Darth:
Wind Waker. Best. Pre-order. Bonus. Ever.

one of the few games i ever pre-ordered

other pre-orders...

HL2.. only bonus here was CS:S beta access
Orange Box... no bonus here that i can remember
CS:GO... beta access... almost wish i passed on this one
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2012-08-31, 8:32 PM #10
I'm more of a fan of video games than I am of trinkets. Not once have I preordered a game.
2012-09-01, 8:41 AM #11
[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/zmonks/mcomics/8.jpg]

WHERE DID THE COMPUTERs Go
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-09-01, 9:04 AM #12
BAHAHAHA
HAHAHA
AWESOME
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-09-01, 11:02 AM #13
i think i've only preordered once, Turok for the 360 at Best Buy. I got a cool beanie hat. preorders are lame anyway, usually the crap that comes with them is nothing really useful anyway, and i hate the $60 pricetag, amazon a few months later and save $20, then a year later, save $30 and get 2 of those "new releases" that are probably still being played for the price of 1. i liked gamestops special they had back in late winter the buy 2 get one free deal. :D
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free

↑ Up to the top!