Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Gettin real for a minute...
Gettin real for a minute...
2012-09-13, 8:30 PM #1
My grandfather has been suffering from MS for the last several years.. I just got word on Tuesday that he passed away. The MS had advanced to the point where his muscles weren't strong enough to operate his lungs. He was struggling for a while and having difficulty breathing. Now he's gone. I'm going up this weekend for his funeral, and pretty sad about it.

He was a pretty amazing man. He was not my grandfather by blood. My grandma married a man who struggled with an alcohol addiction. He would regularly come home and beat on her. One night he came home in a rage and threw my uncle (who was 2 years old at the time) across the room. My grandma finally decided she'd had enough and left him.

A few years went by and she met my Grandpa Ken. He was a firefighter, and a great man. She remarried, and he adopted her 3 sons. He raised those children into men, while protecting the people of Seattle, WA as a dedicated firefighter.

I remember as a child visiting his home.. He had a zip line set up, and he taught me and my younger sister how to shoot a bow and arrow.

Now he's gone from this world. I'm leaving in the morning to attend his funeral, and spend time with my family.

I'm not sure what kind of responses I expect from this thread, but I just wanted to share what I'm going through. There were a number of hoops I've had to jump through in order to get leave from the Navy and come up with the finances to go up there on such short notice. It'll be worth it. I am excited to share with my loved ones in the celebration of the great and significant life he lived.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2012-09-14, 11:11 AM #2
I'm sorry for your loss. Best regards!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-09-14, 11:17 AM #3
Sorry to hear about your grandpa :( Im glad you were able to get leave though to go spend time with your family. I don't mean this as lightly as its going to sound, but i hope you have a great time remembering your grandpa with your loved ones.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob

↑ Up to the top!