Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Looper
Looper
2012-10-11, 10:37 AM #41
Originally posted by saberopus:
That's all fair, but this bit is the tricky part, because of Joe's suicide undoing Sarah's murder. If it were in line with the other stuff, Old Joe would have disappeared and Sarah would still have been shot.

Sarah was never shot, that was a vision of Joe's realisation of what was happening. It's why it was all colourised along with Cid on the train.

Also I retract my last thing about Kid Blue not being Abe because of usual time paradoxes. The way it works in the film means he's totally Abe.
nope.
2012-10-11, 11:43 AM #42
OH ok then B-)
2012-10-11, 5:07 PM #43
Originally posted by Antony:
Rotten Tomatoes is a review aggregate website. 93% does not mean a movie is better. It means it received a larger percentage of positive reviews.

Understood, didn't consider that. I had a good time poking fun at all the plot holes in the Dark Knight films with friends, but I consider them good movies because the "holes" aren't necessarily distracting. From that perspective, as I said, I agree Looper was a good, entertaining movie.

I love movies with ambiguity (multiple, slightly imperfect ways of interpreting the narrative). The slight inconsistencies are key to those movies because you are supposed to be unsatisfied and unable to fully accept any one interpretation. For example, American Psycho (murderer/delusional) or 12 Monkeys (time-traveller/crazy person).

I don't think that Looper is ambiguous like that (a movie intended to rack your brain about). I suspect that the viewer was intended to dismiss the time travel mechanics debate and focus on the story (as future Joe suggests to present Joe in the diner). But I didn't notice the story go anywhere too deep, thematically, either. For that reason I'm surprised with the kind of praise it got (smart, thought-provoking, rather than good, entertaining). Again, I'll grant that I might have missed something (just my initial impression).
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2012-10-11, 5:26 PM #44
shut up
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2012-10-11, 8:31 PM #45
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
shut up

I like the direction that you're headed here...
>>untie shoes
2012-10-18, 6:04 AM #46
Saw it, and really liked it until the last 15-20 minutes. IMO Young Joe should have just killed the Cid kid when he had the chance. I mean, this would've solved all the problems. He was a really ugly kid, too. And he killed his mom's sister and that one underling. In that regard, Old Joe seemed much more clever, even if he was more ruthless.

Joseph Gordon Levitt did do a great job, I have to say: he really did come off as a killer. All the more frustrating that he didn't shoot Cid in his buttface tbh...

One thing that wasn't too clear for me, though, is why did they have to mutilate Young Seth? Why not just kill him?
幻術
2012-10-18, 9:25 AM #47
what do you mean 'solved all the problems'. 'killing the kid' is a problem. he could have just killed every other character and that would have 'solved all the problems' too...

seems like you got a real issue w/ the li'l boy, Koobs :P
2012-10-18, 10:31 AM #48
Originally posted by Koobie:
Saw it, and really liked it until the last 15-20 minutes. IMO Young Joe should have just killed the Cid kid when he had the chance. I mean, this would've solved all the problems. He was a really ugly kid, too. And he killed his mom's sister and that one underling. In that regard, Old Joe seemed much more clever, even if he was more ruthless.

Joseph Gordon Levitt did do a great job, I have to say: he really did come off as a killer. All the more frustrating that he didn't shoot Cid in his buttface tbh...

One thing that wasn't too clear for me, though, is why did they have to mutilate Young Seth? Why not just kill him?

Maybe they've never had to kill someone in the past before. Paradoxes and such.

Maybe it's because time travel is meant to be a gigantic secret and they don't want some old guy possibly vanishing in public.
nope.
2012-10-18, 3:02 PM #49
Originally posted by Koobie:

Maby killing him would cause too many unknown re-procussions in the timeline that everyone was experancing. Thay did not explain enugh in the movie to say what the difference was exactully(killing/ keeping him alive in that state for the next 30y), but i think thay were trying to work around "why not just shoot young joe?" when he dident close his loop.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2012-11-03, 12:38 AM #50
Saw it just yesterday.

So do you guys think there was a matrix within the matrix?
He said to them: "You examine the face of heaven and earth, but you have not come to know the one who is in your presence, and you do not know how to examine the present moment." - Gospel of Thomas
2012-11-03, 1:42 AM #51
The defining moment of the movie, to me, was when older and younger Joe met up for the first time in the diner. Younger Joe, aka you dear viewer, was trying to ask questions about the whole time travel business, and Brucey Joe smashed his fist on the table shouting 'IT'S COMPLICATED DAMNIT'.

So STFU, please. PLEASE.
He said to them: "You examine the face of heaven and earth, but you have not come to know the one who is in your presence, and you do not know how to examine the present moment." - Gospel of Thomas
2012-11-03, 2:32 AM #52
How very condescending of you, Tenshu
2012-11-03, 2:49 AM #53
Originally posted by saberopus:
How very condescending of you, Tenshu

Just trying to help spread bruce willis' message, dude needs to be heard!
2012-11-04, 10:02 AM #54
Originally posted by Elana14:
Maby killing him would cause too many unknown re-procussions in the timeline that everyone was experancing. Thay did not explain enugh in the movie to say what the difference was exactully(killing/ keeping him alive in that state for the next 30y), but i think thay were trying to work around "why not just shoot young joe?" when he dident close his loop.

Yeah, but then Young Joe goes ahead and shoots himself... So whatever repercussions killing Young Seth would've brought upon the world, Joe's untimely demise pretty much would've brought the same thing.
幻術
2012-11-05, 6:22 PM #55
I'm not sure that I buy that Cid grows up to be Joe. Either way, let's discuss this: The whole premise of the movie is that people are sent back in time because for some unbelievable reason you can't get rid of a body in the future. But when they come for old Joe, they shoot his wife dead without any hesitation. Does this bother anyone else?
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2012-11-06, 2:58 PM #56
Originally posted by UltimatePotato:
I'm not sure that I buy that Cid grows up to be Joe. Either way, let's discuss this: The whole premise of the movie is that people are sent back in time because for some unbelievable reason you can't get rid of a body in the future. But when they come for old Joe, they shoot his wife dead without any hesitation. Does this bother anyone else?

Good point! I thought it was an accident, but yeah, you're right, why were they shooting in the first place? Never really thought of it before.
幻術
2012-11-06, 3:54 PM #57
Presumably you can't get rid of bodies ofimportant people as easily. Or maybe they send back her corpse. For that matter, why send back the person while they are alive at all?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2012-11-06, 5:26 PM #58
Maybe people are chipped, it could detect vitals?
nope.
2012-11-06, 5:27 PM #59
That was my guess, they mentioned the tracking in the beginning of the movie
2012-11-08, 12:30 PM #60
If that was the case, they wouldn't have shot Joe's wife. It doesn't add up.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2012-11-08, 1:19 PM #61
It seemed to me like it was a rash decision in a moment of panic?
2012-11-08, 1:22 PM #62
I don't think it really matters. They probably still have ways to cover it up, but time travel is the best. Besides, she probably wouldn't have gotten a lot of attention because she wouldn't have been important enough.
2012-11-08, 6:25 PM #63
If the Rainmaker is taking over whole cities on his own and these are the guys working for him, who's to say that killing people hasn't gotten easier? Body removal as a legal problem doesn't matter when you control the legal system.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!

↑ Up to the top!