Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Restrants I Dont Want to Eat At
Restrants I Dont Want to Eat At
2012-10-20, 10:15 AM #41
Originally posted by KOP_Snake:
Also keep in mind that however much your food costs at Red Lobster you get those FREE GODDAMNED CHEDDAR BAY BISCUITS!

Bisquick. Seriously, that's the key ingredient in making biscuits that taste exactly like those. The rest is obvious (milk, butter, garlic powder, shredded cheddar cheese). And they're drop biscuits so you don't even have to worry about kneading the dough or anything like that. They're incredibly easy to make.
2012-10-20, 11:41 AM #42
Antony- You can't find great food where you are without dropping $100+? How does a place like Ruth Chris or The Capital Grill rank on your steak scale?
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2012-10-20, 1:29 PM #43
Also keep in mind that however much your food costs at Red Lobster you get those FREE GODDAMNED CHEDDAR BAY BISCUITS!

the biscuits alone are worth paying for a meal.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-10-20, 1:30 PM #44
Antony doesn't live in a real place like Salt Lake City
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2012-10-20, 1:45 PM #45
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Stuff like this is why American beef is so bad.

How can "American Beef" be bad? You just have to pick/pay for nice cuts of meat.
2012-10-20, 1:59 PM #46
Yes because a nice cut of beef that still eats something other than grass is good.
2012-10-20, 3:16 PM #47
Originally posted by Spook:
Yes because a nice cut of beef that still eats something other than grass is good.

There's nothing wrong with fortifying the grasses with cereal grains, and in fact good hay always includes some flowers and grain. You don't want to go pure grass-fed because the flavor will be really inconsistent.
2012-10-20, 6:31 PM #48
Are you saying between parts of the cow or between each cow?

The relative gameyness of grassfed beef (though It's not the same as Elk, it's the only word I have to describe) is the only charm in most meat for me. I almost never eat meat because most of it is gross and poorly produced, at least around these parts.
2012-10-20, 7:34 PM #49
Are you saying between parts of the cow or between each cow?

The relative gameyness of grassfed beef (though It's not the same as Elk, it's the only word I have to describe) is the only charm in most meat for me. I almost never eat meat because most of it is gross and poorly produced, at least around these parts.
Ideally between herds, year-to-year. Realistically, between each cow.
2012-10-20, 7:48 PM #50
While I do see that being an issue in a market situation, I don't see that as an objectively bad quality.

I am, however, tiring of the arguments that eating grass fed beef will end factory farming and stop global warming. Because it totally doesn't work like that. At least when they're locked in cages the employees are forced to breathe in a few liters more of the methane the animals output. **** yeah.
2012-10-20, 8:36 PM #51
Originally posted by UltimatePotato:
Antony- You can't find great food where you are without dropping $100+? How does a place like Ruth Chris or The Capital Grill rank on your steak scale?

Bear in mind, when I say over $100, I'm referring to paying for two people. I am not saying you can't find really good food without paying that kind of money. I'm saying there are a lot of chain places that offer really great food, but it's really expensive.

I've heard that both of the places you mentioned are really good, but I've never been to either, so I can't speak from experience.
>>untie shoes
2012-10-20, 8:48 PM #52
While I do see that being an issue in a market situation, I don't see that as an objectively bad quality.
The reason it's bad is because you don't know what you're buying.

But pretty much no matter what you'd still be ahead of the average person who buys wet-aged USDA Prime rib from a dairy cow and thinks he's getting an awesome steak.
2012-10-20, 10:42 PM #53
I tend to avoid chains, for both justifiable & potentially unjustifiable reasons, unless someone else has chosen the venue (e.g. when I visit the U.S. my parents always invite me to Cracker Barrel &/or Texas Roadhouse). The same goes for most of what I purchase. I get my meat from a boucherie, my fish from a poissonnerie, my bread from a boulangerie, etc. I enjoy the experience of shopping at local specialty establishments & in Paris it's both affordable & convenient to avoid chains--though we do have stores such as Auchan & Carrefour, which are essentially the same as Meijers or Walmart & tend to service the more suburban areas.
? :)
2012-10-20, 11:31 PM #54

But pretty much no matter what you'd still be ahead of the average person who buys wet-aged USDA Prime rib from a dairy cow and thinks he's getting an awesome steak.

you shut your ****ing mouth about london broil you monster
2012-10-20, 11:43 PM #55
What does london broil have to do with prime rib?
2012-10-21, 4:46 AM #56
The **** is London broil?
nope.
2012-10-21, 7:24 AM #57
Quote:
London broil is a North American beef dish made by broiling or grilling marinated flank steak, then cutting it across the grain into thin strips. The origin of the name is obscure; ironically, the dish is unknown in London, United Kingdom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_broil
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2012-10-21, 12:17 PM #58
You guys must be crazy wealthy to be able to be so snobby about food.
2012-10-21, 12:47 PM #59
Geez, always with these Massassi food threads! ... Wait a minute, I haven't seen a beer thread in while.

Also, that London broil thing looks pretty taste-mungous. Makes you think, doesn't it. Or it makes me think anyway. Feels weird.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-10-21, 6:20 PM #60
Jon, not much. My general method of agreeing with people is tossing out non sequiturs.
2012-10-21, 7:01 PM #61

You realize if the "prime rib" is that bad then it isnt really considered prime rib, right? You're probably just getting a Select ribeye roast.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2012-10-21, 9:17 PM #62
You realize if the "prime rib" is that bad then it isnt really considered prime rib, right? You're probably just getting a Select ribeye roast.

You realize that "prime rib" refers to the location of the cut rather than the grade, right?
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2012-10-21, 9:21 PM #63
let me be the first to say DOMO ARIGATO, MR. ROBOTO
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-10-21, 9:48 PM #64
Originally posted by Tracer:

It's seems I remember hearing that here before.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2012-10-21, 10:37 PM #65
Moxies is terrible. My city has far too many of them. They used to be fine before the entire chain got a face lift in their attempt to be trendy or hip or whatever.
Very funny Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
2012-10-21, 11:15 PM #66
Originally posted by Tracer:

Let me be the first to say: Suck cocks.
>>untie shoes
2012-10-22, 10:50 AM #67
You realize that the USDA inspectors don't actually taste the meat, right? The Prime and Select grades mean the cow was relatively young and it has the right kind of marbling, as determined through a single incision. Farmers min-max with corn and candy because they know it's the cheapest and most consistent way to get higher prices for their meat.

This is all good news for you if what you want is a fatty steak with no flavor, but if you're looking for a... um... "good" steak, USDA Prime tells you nothing.
2012-10-22, 11:19 AM #68
From my experience, it's best to know what farm the beef comes from. That gives you a better idea of the quality of the meat.
>>untie shoes
2012-10-22, 2:11 PM #69
Originally posted by UltimatePotato:

Ruth's Chris is probably my favorite steak place. Speaking of meat, Fogo de Chao is also an amazing Brazillian BBQ place that everyone should try.

I'm biased against any of the Landry's restaurants (Morton's, Vic and Anthony's, etc). For a period of time, I went to a lot of expensed dinners at Landry's restaurants and it's mind-blowing how much they overcharge for the quality you receive. I would never shell out my own money at these places...
2012-10-22, 2:36 PM #70
I won't go to Chili's or Applebee's. I give Red Lobster, Olive Garden, and Outback a pass because the bread is pretty delicious. Don't care what anyone says.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2012-10-22, 5:18 PM #71
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
I won't go to Chili's or Applebee's. I give Red Lobster, Olive Garden, and Outback a pass because the bread is pretty delicious. Don't care what anyone says.

I only get the unlimited soup/salad/breadsticks deal from Olive Garden anyways. With a water, it's pretty cheap ordering that, and it's kind of hard to screw those things up. I've never had anything else from there.
Very funny Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
2012-10-22, 7:06 PM #72
If ever in salt lake, go here:

http://www.thecopperonion.com/

will not regret
2012-10-22, 8:57 PM #73
There are a LOT of small restaurants around that will often have incredibly good food in the 20$ per person range. Maybe not so much with high end steaks though.
^at least in southern california
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob

↑ Up to the top!