Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → a rider of motorcycles...
a rider of motorcycles...
2012-11-02, 6:33 PM #1
I just came from the DMV a couple hours ago. I am officially licensed to ride street motorcycles (during daylight, with no passenger, and not on the freeway... ok it's a learner's permit). I'm signed up for a rider course in mid december, and after that I can get my full license.

Now I just need to find a bike. Turns out that's pretty difficult. I'm looking for a Standard/Cruiser bike in San Diego 600 to 750cc, for around $3000. Most places this wouldn't be difficult, but in San Diego, bikes seem to be expensive...

Anyway, who are the riders on Massassi.. What do you have? What do you wish you had? Can you recommend me a good starter bike that I might be able to find that meets my criteria?
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2012-11-04, 7:43 PM #2
I would love to have a motor cycle, especially with the traffic in southern california. but, I am still paying off my car. Blegh.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-11-06, 10:12 PM #3
Wear a helmet. I got tagged about a month ago and literally broke my face. Also almost lost a finger, and have a broken tooth.
2012-11-06, 10:25 PM #4
Ouch.. Yeah I'm looking at this helmet.. Any thoughts?

(I like that it's cheap and has good reviews.. and it has the wireless brake integration kit..)

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2012-11-06, 10:39 PM #5
By all means, buy a helmet based on the fact that it's cheap.
>>untie shoes
2012-11-06, 10:40 PM #6
lol, well when you put it that way.... :o

2012-11-06, 10:43 PM #7
Those are awesome if you want a broken jaw. Newer full face helmets flow enough air to be comfortable, and its always the safest option.

Its also way more important for a helmet to fit. When you try a helmet on try to move it with your hands. It should pull lightly at the skin but not move.

If you're hell bent on a bike with that much displacement for a first bike here are a few in that range;

Suzuki sv650
Kawasaki gs500
Honda 599

All three of those are standards, are known to be incredibly reliable, and should be cheap to boot. The Honda didn't stay long in the states, but they're great bikes.

Personally, if I were in your position I'd find a Honda Nighthawk. Its not really highway fast enough, but novice riders have no business on the highway anyways. They're also really cheap. People ride them for a season and trade them up.

Building your riding skillset is better done at low speeds. Bonus: riding in normal traffic will teach you way better clutch control and how to be more aware of your surroundings.

When, *if*, I get back to riding I will just now assume no one sees me.
2012-11-06, 10:46 PM #8
Originally posted by Antony:
By all means, buy a helmet based on the fact that it's cheap.

Any helmet that is DOT certified is tested the same way. They smash it until it breaks.

Any DOT certified helmet will provide the same coverage and safety.

As a rule of thumb, the more expensive helmets tend to be lighter than the inexpensive helmets. Its still going to function and protect your brain case the same way. One time.
2012-11-06, 10:48 PM #9
Rob, I'm actually very close to buying a '91 Honda Nighthawk 750. I've already looked at a couple Nighthawks, and it's exactly the style of bike that I want.

2012-11-06, 10:52 PM #10
The Nighthawk 750 is different than what I was suggesting. At your msfl course they will likely have you on the 234cc Nighthawk.

The Nighthawk 750 is a pretty reliable machine though, its engine is based on the CB750, a bike first produced in 1969.
2012-11-06, 10:59 PM #11
yeah, I have thought that 750cc might be a bit much for me.. But I figure if I start slow I can make it work.

2012-11-06, 11:10 PM #12
That bike is fast and weighs more than two of you. Food for thought.
2012-11-06, 11:12 PM #13
You don't know.. I might be REALLY fat...

(ok I'm not.)

2012-11-06, 11:22 PM #14
Fatties ride Harleys and Goldwings.

Motorcycle joke;

Do you know what gives a Harley its distinctive sound?

Its retarded.

Funny because its true. When the first Harleys were being built they had a nasty habit of starting and running backwards. Rather than change the valve and or ignition timing they decided to retard one cylinder. On a normal two cylinder engine the pistons run 180 degrees apart. On a Harley they run lik 176 degrees apart. (I forget the exact number)

So if you've ever wondered why they sound and run like crap and vibrate more than a diesel truck this is why. I guess the only good thing about them is if you need parts all you have to do is follow another one.
2012-11-06, 11:34 PM #15
lol... srsly, thanks for that.

2012-11-07, 5:59 AM #16
Originally posted by Rob:
Any helmet that is DOT certified is tested the same way. They smash it until it breaks.

Any DOT certified helmet will provide the same coverage and safety.

As a rule of thumb, the more expensive helmets tend to be lighter than the inexpensive helmets. Its still going to function and protect your brain case the same way. One time.

Any car that passes crash tests is considered safe to drive by the DOT. All cars are equally safe to drive.
>>untie shoes
2012-11-07, 10:13 AM #17
Get a Honda CBR1000RR-Repsol or a Ducati 848. Those are what I'd ride, if I didn't value my life.
2012-11-07, 2:53 PM #18
Originally posted by Antony:
Any car that passes crash tests is considered safe to drive by the DOT. All cars are equally safe to drive.

He.mets are a lot different cars. The manufacturing standards are a lot more stringent. A helmet really only does two things. The shell protects the user from things that might pierce the helmet, and the inside liner (which is virtually the same in all helmets and the most important part) slows and spreads impact.

↑ Up to the top!