Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Star Dark: Into Trekness
Star Dark: Into Trekness
2012-12-06, 7:24 AM #1
Hello fellows,

Just in case you check mashashi before you check whatever other social network you'd probably see this on.

I'm pretty excited to see Benedict Cumberbatch as the villain... and for some more well-produced spectacle, I guess. I'm hoping for a more interesting plot than the previous film, but if they render another mediocre story with the same gusto, I'll still be happy.

Whatchy'all think?
2012-12-06, 7:44 AM #2
Awe **** yeah.
? :)
2012-12-06, 8:02 AM #3
I've had this conversation before with some friends. I felt the last movie did well to capture the essence of the cast of major characters from the original series, and that the movie (mostly the ending) wasn't in spirit of Star Trek*. The antagonistic force wasn't either (though that's fairly common even in the past movies) and he wasn't actually terribly interesting.

I have high doubts that this new movie will be any different in its "non-Trek" spirit, and will not go out of my way to see it unless I hear otherwise. I hope to be proven wrong.

*By "spirit of Star Trek" in this case, I mean a setting where a) the future is generally optimistic and, at the very least, humanity has mostly overcome things like greed and vengeance (and when someone doesn't, the narrative makes it clear that they're failing) and b) the narratives often address some social commentary and/or ethical dilemmas. I think Star Trek: The Undiscovered County probably captured this the best out of the movies. Even the generally most well-received Star Trek movie (First Contact) had a "B plot" that showed a new dawn for humanity and a moral dilemma in the "A plot" (Picard going Capt. Ahab). The past Star Trek, on the other hand, was generally just an action movie, and even said "vengeance is OK" when Kirk and Spock decided to fire on Nero after he was already going to die for certain.

On a very nerd-related tangent, while I actually thought the 'premise' of the reboot was fitting and done well enough, a friend pointed out that the whole "destruction of Vulcan" thing should have flagged the attention of the future Starfleet who goes out of their way to travel back in the past to fix any huge time travel issues like this one. I never really got how Star Trek could keep doing time travel once they established that parallel universes existed... oh well.

EDIT: To be clear, I think this past Star Trek movie was entertaining, and won't avoid seeing the new movie if someone drags me along after hearing reviews that it's at least as entertaining as the past one.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2012-12-06, 11:05 AM #4
There should be KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

TWIIIIIIIIX!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-12-06, 11:16 AM #5
Originally posted by Mentat:
Awe **** yeah.

2012-12-06, 11:45 AM #6
Hoping they introduce more science fiction elements instead of making it just another action movie in space, but it's not bad as far as reboots go.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2012-12-06, 12:00 PM #7
I like the new Star Wars Star Trek universe, although I would love a more story oriented tv series.
The Next, Next, Generation.
2012-12-06, 12:02 PM #8
Oh god, I just realized that Alice Eve is playing Carol Marcus.

Edit: There's a Japanese extended teaser with two extra clips. Pretty heavy-handed on twok references here.
2012-12-06, 12:05 PM #9
Tangent: So I watched a bit of the first season of Enterprise back in the day. I've watched a few of those early episodes this week on Netflix, out of curiosity, and I can't stand it when they don't say 'The Enterprise" in conversation, they just say "Enterprise." Like "we gotta get back to Enterprise." For some reason that phrasing sounds so childish. o.O

↑ Up to the top!