Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → George Lucas is plagiarizing me!
George Lucas is plagiarizing me!
2013-01-23, 6:27 AM #1
Okay, not really, but I continually think it's a really odd synchronicity that stuff I invent for Star Wars stories appears in Star Wars products years later.

Before you ask, no, I'm not paranoid. I don't *actually* think they're stealing my ideas; it's just one of those weird things where we've thought of the same thing!

Exhibit A: Dreena

In 1994, I began handwriting my own Star Wars novel at the tender age of eleven. (Got to 80 pages before I gave up lol) I made up a planet to be the home world of my villain (with the oh-so-original name of Aaala), and named it Dreena.

In 1995, Dave Wolverton's The Courtship of Princess Leia came out, in which mention is made of a Hapan water world called Dreena.

Exhibit B: Space Needles

In 1995, I came up with a new set of weapons for my villain Aaala to invent and use: tiny little computer-controlled space ships, about the size of large torpedoes, with a single laser cannon at the end. The idea is that they're ultra cheap and quick to manufacture, very expendable, yet a swarm of them can overwhelm a capital ship (especially what with their size making them nearly impossible to target). I also added hyperdrives - they can leap into a system, deal some damage, leap out. I dubbed them LSLM's, the ever-so-imaginatively-named Light Speed Laser Missiles.

In 1998, Barbara Hambly's Planet of Twilight, Loronar Corporation invents the exact same thing, albeit with the better name of Space Needles.

Exhibit C: Yuuzhan Vong

We all know the story by now. In 2000, with R.A. Salvatore's Vector Prime, a race of extragalactic conquerors who are unaffected by the Force invade the galaxy. Their original home planet was a mobile world whose name I forget.

In 1998, I invented a race called the Andors (hey, I didn't know there was already a Star Trek species with the name) who were from outside the galaxy, a mobile planet named Orandisare. They were immune to the Force too.

(Side Note: The Andors are the original incarnation of my notorious character and user name Highemperor, for their leader was the Highemperor Anaximander. xD )

Exhibit D: Bowdaar

In 2010, I wrote a Star Wars short story, set in the Old Republic, involving a Wookiee chieftain named Bowdaar.

In 2011 (or was it 2012?), Bioware releases the MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic, in which one of the classes has a Wookiee companion named, you guessed it, Bowdaar.

So am I the only one who thinks this is seriously Twilight Zone stuff? xD

"There is nothing new under the sun." (Ecclesiastes)

(Or, to put it another way, anything you can possibly think of, has been thought of already.)
2013-01-23, 6:50 AM #2
LIAR!

I saw her die!
[/SIZE]
2013-01-23, 6:56 AM #3
well, we know who to blame if the next 3 suck.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2013-01-23, 7:36 AM #4
Doesn't that mean the prequels are your fault too?
2013-01-23, 8:07 AM #5
It does appear that you and George Lucas use the same random name generator.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-01-23, 8:52 AM #6
LOL apparently, the movies are my fault, and apparently Lucas and I do use the same random name generator :P
2013-01-23, 9:59 AM #7
Having read your Star Wars short stories, I think this is just one more thing to show that you should seriously look into getting something Star Wars-related published.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2013-01-23, 10:19 AM #8
Geb: IT'S A SIGN!

No wait.... xD

LOL Thanks for the vote of confidence. I really just don't have an interest in publication, but I'm glad you think they're worthy of it ^^
2013-01-23, 10:29 AM #9
Do it, go make the money and tell the stories.
2013-01-23, 10:33 AM #10
I really hate that feeling of "sure, everything has been done before but surely they haven't used THIS". For instance, some of the plot elements that I wrote into Deus Ex: Nihilum in 2007 (some of them based on scenarios in MotS for instance) turned up in effing Deus Ex: Human Revolution and since I hadn't made any plot plans or the like public back in the day, people are surely gonna be like "LOL COPYFAGMERR" on June 3rd (or earlier).

Oy vey.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-01-23, 10:39 AM #11
It's just a natural part of living in a world with multimedia.
Hell, maybe the HR guys had the same sources of inspiration.
2013-01-23, 1:25 PM #12
Nope, I think it's the fact that the famous authors, moviemakers, and video game producers have realized that Massassi is an untapped font of vast creativity and have turned their psionic spies upon here, leeching ideas from our very heads!

...or not.
2013-01-23, 1:26 PM #13
Yeah, I hate when that happens...
幻術
2013-01-24, 1:30 AM #14
Originally posted by Al Ciao:
Loronar Corporation invents the exact same thing, albeit with the better name of Space Needles.

Hey, I'm at this part of the EU!

Quote:
Their original home planet was a mobile world whose name I forget.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Zonama_Sekot

I will say, they do seem to be somewhat more than coincidence, but there's only so many directions you can take with this.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'

↑ Up to the top!