Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → CM are you argueing about the Surface on youtube?
CM are you argueing about the Surface on youtube?
2013-02-11, 6:02 PM #1
Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr3dFSzh1yU&hd=1
Hilariously bad right? But then I find this in the comments.

What's happening!:psyduck:
E: Thread is now "Microsoft Sucks" Superstation.
2013-02-11, 6:05 PM #2
Also Windows 8 is horrible and I bet Bruce Wayne is a paid shill, or an idiot, or both?!
2013-02-11, 6:10 PM #3
we should all go troll bruce wayne.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2013-02-11, 6:11 PM #4
Nah, thats probably a horrible idea.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2013-02-11, 6:14 PM #5
He's the sort of idiot that makes a meme pic his avatar, I don't think it's worth it.
2013-02-11, 6:21 PM #6
that was a better ad for whatever dance troupe that is than for windows 8
DO NOT WANT.
2013-02-11, 6:38 PM #7
Microsoft is a bad, Windows 8 is a bad, Surface Pro is a bad.

touch computing, high-dpi, instant-on, long standby device running Windows on an i5. definitely a bad.
2013-02-11, 6:51 PM #8
Surface Pro does not include WinTab digitizer drivers, the industry standard tablet API used by Photoshop, Autodesk, Wacom, and virtually everybody else. Instead, Surface Pro uses a new API for pen and touch input which is not supported by existing applications. Without WinTab drivers, apps can't use tilt, pressure, or the eraser, so the stylus just acts like a mouse.

Microsoft is "working with" Photoshop on a solution (iow angrily demanding that Adobe support their broken ****, which they never will because Windows 8 has a lower market share than Linux), but for now the Surface Pro effectively can't be used as an art tablet.

So here's where we are. The Surface Pro (with cover) is more expensive than a Macbook Air, runs one of the most hated operating systems ever designed, has half the battery life, weighs about the same, and you're still lugging around an Intuos either way because Microsoft's NIH syndrome put a bullet in the head of the single redeeming feature of the steaming pile. And the best way they can think of to express the value of their product to the average consumer is to get people to dress up as yuppies and breakdance in a San Francisco hipster recycled warehouse space-style startup incubator. ****in rad.
2013-02-11, 6:55 PM #9
Don't forget it doesn't come with a keyboard! 100 dollars, sold seperately.
****ing Appletax!
2013-02-11, 7:02 PM #10
Seriously though, is this you CM? I'm legit curious.
2013-02-11, 7:10 PM #11
idk, upvoted rightposter downvoted all wrongposters
2013-02-11, 7:23 PM #12
(tip: wrongposters are people who say "No Windows 8 is fine, doing a fullscreen search using a hidden text field and then manually searching as few as three meaningless but disjoint categories is a perfectly acceptable workflow and only available on the most advanced and modern operating system from Microsoft. Upgrade today for only $119.99[sup]1[/sup]. [sub](1 At participating retailers. Goods and services taxes may apply. Price is in USD only.)[/sub]")
2013-02-11, 7:56 PM #13
Removing the start menu was a great idea, surely people on desktops will figure out that magic invisible corner opens the start screen.
2013-02-11, 8:11 PM #14
lol "perceived affordance" and "discoverability" u sound so faggy, stop using faggy words. uv obviously never used windows 8 otherwise ud know how stupid and wrong u sound. if u were a real ux pro u'd know how windows 8 is the greatest os ever, u just dont know anything and ur too stupid to use an os correctly
2013-02-11, 8:14 PM #15
"Design is just a great big pile of opinions and not even slightly informed by empirical data." - everybody who 'likes' Windows 8
2013-02-11, 9:47 PM #16
I love the line "Have fun living a close minded and bitter life" all based on a couple of paragraphs about windows 8.

Also, that ad was painful
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2013-02-12, 10:44 AM #17
Yes, it's me. It's something fun to do when I've got some downtime.
2013-02-12, 12:58 PM #18
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Yes, it's me. It's something fun to do when I've got some downtime.

Don't be so bitter, bro!
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2013-02-12, 1:13 PM #19
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Don't be so bitter, bro!

I literally laugh out loud when someone on there claims I'm "jealous" of their surface.
2013-02-12, 1:31 PM #20
To be fair, Surface Pros are pretty rare.

because microsoft isn't going to make very many of them.
2013-02-12, 2:21 PM #21
Having been forced to use the Surface RT while traveling (well, out of choice, but my netbook is 2009 era and half-dead), I have to say it's not that bad. All the UX criticisms are valid, however for a tablet I actually managed to be more productive than my iPad just by way of having a splitscreen mode. Performance is an issue but waiting 8 seconds for an app to start is also pretty rare. "Compromised device" is an accurate thing to say.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2013-02-12, 2:39 PM #22
Originally posted by Emon:
Having been forced to use the Surface RT while traveling (well, out of choice, but my netbook is 2009 era and half-dead), I have to say it's not that bad. All the UX criticisms are valid, however for a tablet I actually managed to be more productive than my iPad just by way of having a splitscreen mode. Performance is an issue but waiting 8 seconds for an app to start is also pretty rare. "Compromised device" is an accurate thing to say.

lol where's this from?
2013-02-12, 3:49 PM #23
From... me getting a free Surface and trying it when I visited my family for the holidays? :huh:
2013-02-12, 3:52 PM #24
Was it supposed to be as polarizing as "Surface and Win 8 are complete and utter failures" to "I'm a consumer whoring MS apologist" ?
2013-02-12, 4:01 PM #25
From... me getting a free Surface and trying it when I visited my family for the holidays? :huh:

Was it supposed to be as polarizing as "Surface and Win 8 are complete and utter failures" to "I'm a consumer whoring MS apologist" ?

(It was implying that you had copied and pasted a funny comment from another site for our amusement.)
2013-02-12, 4:06 PM #26
Hah, I suppose it came off a bit like that.
2013-02-12, 4:09 PM #27
Serious post:

Between Surface Pro and Surface RT, if I had to pick one as the better device, it would be the Surface RT. Apart from the display quality the only real problem with the Surface RT is all software. There are serious usability problems with Windows 8 that will never get solved (because hubris) but you can at least train yourself to get past them. A bigger problem is the fact that they've failed to push other divisions to adopt Windows 8, but that's still a software problem and can theoretically be solved eventually.

Surface Pro, on the other hand, is just a worse laptop, running an OS that nobody wants.

I will laugh myself to death if Microsoft Office is released for Linux before there is a Metro version.
2013-02-12, 4:42 PM #28
Oh look, Microsoft is talking about offering a type cover with built-in battery expansion pack. You know, while they're redesigning the type cover, they should think about adding expanded storage and a stiff, metal hinge so you can choose the angle of the screen and use it on your lap.
2013-02-12, 5:33 PM #29
Willing to bet office for iOS will come out before office 2015 has metro support.
2013-02-12, 5:50 PM #30
pretty sure the only reason Office for iOS hasn't shipped is because Apple shut them down. They're trying to get people to pay a subscription fee outside of the app store.
2013-02-12, 6:14 PM #31
It would also be multiple gigs and rely on 20 levels of abstraction I'm guessing, confirm/deny?
2013-02-12, 6:58 PM #32

The thing is, that's not very hard. If Microsoft had the same army of hipsters who would desperately pretend that the RT could be used as a productivity device as Apple does for the iPad, they'd be far ahead. Unfortunately, they both suck for real work, and if Microsoft wants anybody to get on board with them, they have to do more than be a shiny looking internet browser with puzzle games. The bar is higher for Microsoft, because already has the fanboy market cornered. Unfortunately for Microsoft, they are just trying to be Apple, which is not something they will ever succeed at.
2013-02-12, 7:18 PM #33
Yep, those crazy, broad demographic-spanning hipsters and fanboys who inexplicably have deep and vociferous opinions about tablet operating systems
2013-02-12, 7:27 PM #34
What do you mean you just want something to do your crosswords on while you watch TV? Surface Pro from Microsoft is just as good, and it has all of the great desktop software you're used to like Microsoft Office, Visual Studio, and Photoshop.

What do you mean "what are those"? ugh, you are such an apple fanboy grandma.
2013-02-12, 7:39 PM #35
This just in: Microsoft has scrapped the battery cover and came up with a better idea:

They will release a $40 magnetic snap adapter that connects two Surface Pros together. One will act as a virtual keyboard/touchpad, and the other will be the screen.
2013-02-12, 7:39 PM #36
My mom used to use a windows laptop, now she uses an iPad.
this is the future of computing, literally.
2013-02-13, 11:05 AM #37
My cat's breath smells like cat food

Why would you want a surface anyway? Keyboards are such gimmicks.

Posted from my Nexus 7
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'

↑ Up to the top!