Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Dear Massassi (Notebook Edition)
Dear Massassi (Notebook Edition)
2013-03-25, 2:22 AM #41
Originally posted by Tibby:
The Ideapad has the same video card, I guess you didn't read the OP?

The high-end ($2200-$2800) Apple MacBook Pro's have the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5. The Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 that's on sale for $999 has the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2G (there's the advantage of merging 2 graphics cards to increase performance via SLI mode).
? :)
2013-03-25, 4:16 AM #42
I wish we could go back to when tibby only had an ancient computer.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2013-03-25, 6:06 AM #43
Originally posted by Mentat:
The high-end ($2200-$2800) Apple MacBook Pro's have the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5. The Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 that's on sale for $999 has the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2G (there's the advantage of merging 2 graphics cards to increase performance via SLI mode).

Oh wow, I missed that. The Lenovo link makes no mention of SLI or Dual and simply refers to it as "Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT650M 2GB", I assumed you were purchasing a base model without SLI but now after checking a bunch of retailer sites it looks like that $999 price does include 2x GT650M. Soo... AWESOME. Ignore what I said about Crysis3 not running at 1080p.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-03-25, 2:19 PM #44
Originally posted by Tibby:
The Ideapad has the same video card, I guess you didn't read the OP?
Windows is a bad OS, on this we both agree. So just use OSX- it has support for high res displays and can play video games quite well, infact I just got done a game of Wargame: European Escalation on my macbook.

I did read the OP, but we both know you didn't. Nothing I said flies against that.

OS X is terrible for gaming. Even with Steam's push into OS X leaves OS X severely lacking. Not to mention that game performance on OS X is measurably worse than Windows, this means that the 650M is most definitely not adequate for modern games on the MBP. Any other terrible ideas, tibby?
2013-03-25, 3:40 PM #45
I thought it meant 2 Gigs of VRAM, not two videocards in SLi, that's really dumb but I suppose it would make it faster. It would have been smarter to just put a faster card in but w/e, enjoy.
E: Also 10.8.3 improved graphics a whole hell of a lot, my HD4000 can play European Escalation so w/e
2013-03-25, 3:43 PM #46
You made the choice I would've recommended anyway.

I use a maxed-out Thinkpad W520 for work, and although I'm extremely impressed with it's build quality and performance, the premium you pay for these extra design considerations isn't worth it for a budget-conscious buyer who isn't overly concerned about ruggedness or fault protection. Fun fact: I spilled a decent amount of water on my keyboard a few months back and freaked out. Nothing happened. Turns out there's a tray under the keyboard that collects liquid and diverts it out through drain holes on the bottom.
2013-03-25, 3:53 PM #47
Thinkpads own, I'm not sure if the same quality goes into Ideapads though.
2013-03-25, 11:40 PM #48
Originally posted by ragna:
Fun fact: I spilled a decent amount of water on my keyboard a few months back and freaked out. Nothing happened. Turns out there's a tray under the keyboard that collects liquid and diverts it out through drain holes on the bottom.

I also have a W520. This is good to know, and I'm curious where this drain hole is now.
I had a blog. It sucked.

↑ Up to the top!