Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Hipster gamer thread
Hipster gamer thread
2013-03-24, 12:02 AM #1
So what games have you been playing that "we've probably never heard of before" that you think are any good. Alternatively, you could tell us games that you were playing "before they became mainstream" that you had fun playing or even just "hipster" things that you don't think many other Massassians do. For instance, I post primarily on the Interactive Story Board.

As for games, I've taken a liking to both Antichamber and Dustforce.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2013-03-24, 2:20 AM #2
[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/bandwidth/refpile/Blobbo17_zps42558c15.jpg]

Blobbo Lite - for (early) 1990s Macs.

It's more or less like Chip's Challenge, it really does involve a lot of reloading and replaying until you've fully figured the levels out. It's actually free to download (due to being a "shareware" version) but you're gonna need a Mac emulator (like mini vMac which I'm using) + ROM file to play it. It'd be neat if it could be remade for perpetuity and afterwards, but apparently there are copyright issues in the background.

Funny thing, I started playing this game in my final months of using a Macintosh Plus (late 1997) so it served more or less as a lead-in to my actual gaming era (1998->). At any rate, I only managed to beat the game last month. MMMpie.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-03-24, 9:12 AM #3
First, a warning: if you play this game, it's sheer awesomeness might make your head explode
It's called Super House of Dead Ninjas, and it's extremely fun, has a lot of cool unlocks, and is well worth the pocket change they want for it.
There's an older free version of it you can try here

And the full version:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/224820/
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2013-03-24, 11:37 AM #4
[CENTER][/CENTER]I'm not sure if any of these games qualify but they've occupied all of my gaming time as of late.

- Aquaria (taking a break--stuck on a mini boss & refuse to cheat)
- Closure (currently stuck on what I believe is the last level)
- Dynamite Jack (just started playing this but already addicted)
- Faster Than Light (played this more than some people work)
- World of Goo (recently finished it)
? :)
2013-03-24, 9:52 PM #5
I've been playing League of Legends. I don't think anyone else really knows about it, but it's pretty fun.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2013-03-24, 10:47 PM #6
Alien Legacy- an old dos game that's like Ur Quan masters and sim city mashed together
2013-03-24, 11:49 PM #7
Don't Starve is a great little Victorian-style Tim Burton-esque survival game with a great art style, and really great atmosphere as well as imaginative gameplay mechanics. It also gets regular content updates, there's a new one comingon Tuesday that adds a bunch of new stuff.
DO NOT WANT.
2013-03-25, 12:51 AM #8
Originally posted by Deadman:
First, a warning: if you play this game, it's sheer awesomeness might make your head explode
It's called Super House of Dead Ninjas

I have the full version of this as well. It's fun, but the bosses are such a *****.

I've been playing DoomRL lately. Version 0.9.9.7 was released a few days ago. New special levels, a few new items, some level generation changes, modding support, and even harder challenges (plus mixing and matching angel games). Check it out.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2013-03-25, 11:12 AM #9
Here are some more I just tried out as of late:

Deadlight
A zombie apocalypse platformer in the vein of Limbo with a little more focus on combat. Needlessly frustrating in parts, and I still enjoyed the overall experience.

Edge
A Marble Madness-esque type game, but you move a cube around instead, and you're more in control and less at the whims of the environment. Likely very frustrating if you're trying to get the best score and not just looking to get to the end.

They Bleed Pixels
A "intensive platformer" in the vein of Super Meat Boy, it has an 8-bit cartoon-Lovecraftian aesthetic to it. I like its combat more than its platforming.

30-second Hero
An amusing satire on jRPGs, streamlining the process in a Munchkin-esque style.
2013-03-25, 11:19 AM #10
Also, this is something that looks and seems quite nice (and I should get around to playing it at some point as well): http://www.moddb.com/games/one-late-night

(Especially since I don't usually have any interest in horror games)
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-03-25, 12:27 PM #11
I've been known to play some World War Z. A bit of Mechwarrior: Online, and betas for Warface and Warframe. The latter's pretty cool actually.

Played a bit of LOL as well, but isn't really my type of game.
幻術
2013-03-26, 1:48 AM #12
Originally posted by Freelancer:
I have the full version of this as well. It's fun, but the bosses are such a *****.

I've been playing DoomRL lately. Version 0.9.9.7 was released a few days ago. New special levels, a few new items, some level generation changes, modding support, and even harder challenges (plus mixing and matching angel games). Check it out.

Ooh awesome!
There's a guide at gamefaqs.com that's pretty good, whoever wrote it is a super genius (it was me)
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2013-03-26, 4:11 PM #13
Zafehouse: Diaries looks very interesting, might buy it.

http://www.zafehouse.com/
幻術
2013-04-02, 3:30 AM #14
So "hipster" means "indie" now, or are you just ****ing up words when nobody is looking?

Frontier: Elite 2 (or First Encounters)
Zangband
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2013-04-02, 6:59 AM #15
Originally posted by Alan:
So "hipster" means "indie" now, or are you just ****ing up words when nobody is looking?

That's what I keep thinking when I see this thread, I really don't play Indie games anyway but I certainly wouldnt want to identify myself as a hipster.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-04-02, 7:13 AM #16
Originally posted by Alan:

It's a joke, Alan, just to be silly. To answer your question, it doesn't have to be indie, just something you think isn't well known.
2013-04-04, 11:19 PM #17
I was looking at the OUYA launch titles and it looks like I'll get my chance to be an indie gamer soon...

Beta Webstore
http://78.129.218.249/ouya/

Hah, honestly the coolest thing I see there is "Organ Trail" but it does look like it N64/SNES/NES emulators will be available.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-04-05, 12:30 AM #18
ROFL for christ sake that's not the "beta webstore". It's a goon-run thrown together site that rips OUYA's own homescreen API calls because they thought it was funny.

That said, the OUYA is frickin' awful, even as an emulation platform.
2013-04-05, 2:35 AM #19
You know what's a good, free emulator? ALL OF THEM.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2013-04-05, 6:20 AM #20
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
That said, the OUYA is frickin' awful, even as an emulation platform.

I'll let you know what I think when I get it. I'm testing out some other hardware for retrogaming/emulation as well so should make for an interesting comparison.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-04-05, 8:03 PM #21
Nox, it's westwood's answer to diablo 2 and is really fun

↑ Up to the top!