Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Q&A with my new MP3 Player
Q&A with my new MP3 Player
2013-04-18, 3:25 PM #1
Hey fellas,

My 2nd Gen. iPod nano ain't functioning like she used to. Still charges fine, and playback works, but connecting to my peecee seems busted. Windows doesn't recognize the device, period, and all the troubleshooting/hard resetting instructions I've found on apple support or various forums seem to involve Windows at least knowing what I'm plugging in, even if iTunes can't communicate with my iPod.

anyway, the thing's old, doesn't have much storage space, and it may be high time to replace it, so I was wondering what you all use, and what you like.

I plug it into a dock for lissenin' at home, and I strap it to my arm for runnin', so I am leaning toward small options. I don't need wifi or web browsing or the like, but if that's all just standard, fine.

Do you guys like iPods? I'm open to other brands as well if you recommend them. Thaaaaanks.
2013-04-18, 3:27 PM #2
Why not just get a smartphone? Fewer devices is always better.
>>untie shoes
2013-04-18, 3:29 PM #3
Any reason you can't use a smartphone + bluetooth for portability? Leave the phone in your pocket when you're running. At this point, buying a dedicated mp3 player just seems like pissing away money.
2013-04-18, 3:41 PM #4
Having a phone in my pocket while running is uncomfortable / inconvenient, personally. I have a Razr HD, it's not the smallest/lightest thing, and I'm really anal about flippin' through songs, so it's nice to be able to reach over and click next w/o having to put my hand in my pocket and swipe around.

I do agree about fewer devices being better, but this is one case where my phone doesn't quite meet my needs. Given that, any other thoughts?
2013-04-18, 3:49 PM #5
Sansa Clip Zip, Sansa Clip+ or iPod Shuffle?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2013-04-18, 3:55 PM #6
Originally posted by saberopus:
Having a phone in my pocket while running is uncomfortable / inconvenient, personally. I have a Razr HD, it's not the smallest/lightest thing, and I'm really anal about flippin' through songs, so it's nice to be able to reach over and click next w/o having to put my hand in my pocket and swipe around.

I do agree about fewer devices being better, but this is one case where my phone doesn't quite meet my needs. Given that, any other thoughts?

Bluetooth headsets offer skip controls, actually.

That said, if you're really not keen on a phone in your pocket, or anything of similar size, then you've pretty much settled on an iPod Shuffle.
2013-04-18, 4:16 PM #7
sansa clip or fuze (but not the fuze+, it has a silly touchpad control that nobody likes) you can find them cheap (i have a 4GB fuze i can easily part with), the sound quality is better than anything ipod, proper replaygain support, microsd slot, and a decent interface (and rockbox is an option)
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2013-04-18, 10:15 PM #8
Glad to see that Q&A With My New Thing is still going strong!
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-04-19, 12:07 AM #9
I use my iPhone. If I needed another music player, it would be an iPod Shuffle.
2013-04-19, 3:24 AM #10
I agree with the "just use your phone " crowd. I have a ****ty LG Motion from MetroPCS but with my SDmicro it becomes less ****ty phone and more ****ty mp3player/ereader/google maps/****ing whatever who gives a ****
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2013-04-19, 3:14 PM #11
Originally posted by Alan:
I agree with the "just use your phone " crowd. I have a ****ty LG Motion from MetroPCS but with my SDmicro it becomes less ****ty phone and more ****ty mp3player/ereader/google maps/****ing whatever who gives a ****

http://youtu.be/fPwBdnknGIs?t=8m26s
2013-04-19, 9:15 PM #12
For what it's worth you could get one of those armbands that holds your phone in place (or a belt thing I suppose). It's not as comfortable as a light MP3 player like the Clip or Shuffle but it may be an option for you.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

↑ Up to the top!