Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Books!
Books!
2013-09-10, 6:04 AM #41
Currently reading Death and the Penguin by Andrey Kurkov.
nope.
2013-09-10, 12:18 PM #42
2013-10-03, 4:07 AM #43
'Second Foundation', Asimov, Isaac
? :)
2013-10-03, 6:16 AM #44
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.
Lost nights of sleep. So awesome. I'm on book 4 now (Summer Knight). It's basically about the only Private Detective Wizard in a supernatural modern-day Chicago.
幻術
2013-10-03, 8:36 AM #45
currently reading... American Empire: The Center Cannot Hold by Harry Turtledove
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2013-10-03, 9:11 AM #46
Not bad, Reid. I somewhat enjoyed that. :)
幻術
2013-10-03, 2:42 PM #47
Originally posted by Koobie:
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.
Lost nights of sleep. So awesome. I'm on book 4 now (Summer Knight). It's basically about the only Private Detective Wizard in a supernatural modern-day Chicago.

Sounds like Discworld X-Files?
2013-10-03, 3:04 PM #48
Discworld is not a thriller.
And X-Files is completely irrelevant; the main characters aren't looking for the truth that's out there, they're just trying to make a living while avoiding doing evil **** if they can. It's really good.
幻術
2013-10-10, 12:10 AM #49
'Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Cookery Course', Ramsay, Gordon
2013-10-15, 10:24 AM #50
Originally posted by Gebohq:
With that said, the last book I read was Ender's Game a few months ago, and I have a few I should pick up on and haven't yet, including one I admit I picked up solely for the title: Apocalypse Cow.

Got around to reading Apocalypse Cow. Surprisingly, it's not as cow-centric as I expected, and only somewhat absurd, at least relative to what I was expecting (Dawn/Shaun of the Dead but with zombie cows).

Like with most of my media-consumption these days, I'm aiming towards things that are short and different from what I've already experienced, so I'm not sure what I'll be looking to tackle next. That is, of course, if I can overcome my laziness enough for such things.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2013-10-15, 3:57 PM #51
Wow, I completed my goal of reading 16 books this year way ahead of schedule. At this point, I might end up with 20.
This may not sound like a lot to some of you (e.g. Mentat, with a very impressive pace!), but it's way more for me than last year, when I read six books.

I have really enjoyed reading more often! I'm amazed how bouts of reading have energized my mind and given me fresh ideas.

Next on my list:
- The Age of Context: Scoble & Israel
- In Cold Blood: Capote (Halloween reading)
- Into Thin Air: Krakauer
- Elephants on Acid, and other bizarre experiments: Boese
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2013-10-15, 6:45 PM #52
A Billion Wicked Thoughts: What the Internet Tells Us About Sexual Relationships
The Folly of the World
River of Gods
Cyberabad Days
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2013-10-15, 9:56 PM #53
read the prince, finished manufacturing consent (very good book, i recommend to everyone), read crisis economics by roubini, read animal farm, still reading the others

every book 5/5 so far would reference
2013-10-16, 5:39 PM #54
Currently reading No Country For Old Men. I read a fairly substantial amount in 2012, including Infinite Jest, A Confederacy of Dunces, and most of McCarthy's work, but I've really fallen off this year and haven't finished a novel since Cities of the Plain in about late January.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2013-10-16, 6:28 PM #55
Neverending Story, Gajewski, Scott

OH CRAP
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-10-16, 8:15 PM #56
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
I read a fairly substantial amount in 2012, including Infinite Jest

I picked that one up recently-ish - did you find it a worthwhile read?
Originally posted by Tracer:
Neverending Story, Gajewski, Scott

OH CRAP

You forgot about 50 other authors in that credit.
2013-10-16, 8:21 PM #57
Originally posted by Gebohq:
I picked that one up recently-ish - did you find it a worthwhile read?

It's probably the greatest work of fiction I've ever read. It takes some goddamned work to read though.
2013-10-16, 8:40 PM #58
It's probably the greatest work of fiction I've ever read.

I think you mean to refer to the NeS with that comment. :cool:

No, wait, I meant to quote this part:
It takes some goddamned work to read though.

:nonono:
2013-10-16, 9:49 PM #59
I assure you the NeS is a close second on both counts.
2013-10-16, 10:20 PM #60
I try to throw away at least 25 books per year.
>>untie shoes
2013-10-17, 10:46 AM #61
How far would you say you throw them, on average?
2013-10-17, 12:15 PM #62
That all depends.

First of all, it's imperative that you use rubber bands to keep the book closed while throwing. Otherwise the wind resistance really hinders the amount of distance you can get.

If I am using a throwing technique such as one that would be utilized in a game of horseshoes or cornhole (e.g. standard underhand), I can manage maybe 15 yards if we're talking about a relatively decent size book. The weight makes a big difference.

Now, personally, I am a big fan of using a flat palm grip on either cover of the book and propelling it through the air using either the spin or glide techniques that are popular in shotput. You can get a pretty hefty distance out of a book that way. As long as your form is good, you can get one out to about 30 yards or so.

It's also possible to use a standard overhand throwing motion like one you would see an NFL quarterback performing. This is difficult and generally only yields about 10 yards per throw, as it is impossible to get a good spiral out of a book. I try not to use this method.

The final and most controversial method is the Tim Tebow, which consists of running around like an idiot inside of a 15 yard circle and then in mid stride kind of flailing the book in a random direction. This produces heavily varied results, but on occasion is known to draw a lightning bolt from the sky which hits the book and causes it to explode into Jesus dust. While the results are of questionable consistency, it is by far the most popular method.
>>untie shoes
2013-10-17, 9:03 PM #63
This thread delivers.
2013-10-18, 6:09 AM #64
2013-10-22, 3:06 PM #65
The Signal & The Noise: Why Most Predictions Fail But Some Don't', Silver, Nate
2013-10-23, 10:00 AM #66
Books i have read sice August:

Completed:
Strager i a Strage Lad (for like the 3rd time)
Cryptoomico
euromacer
Rig World
The Mote i God's Eye
2001: A Space Odyssey

Curretly readig: Hyperio

I'm workig my way through a list of "The 100 greatest Sci-fi ovels."

Apparatly my key for the letter that comes after "m" i the alphabet does ot work.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2013-10-23, 10:42 AM #67
Originally posted by Ford:
I'm workig my way through a list of "The 100 greatest Sci-fi ovels.".

I tried to make my way through Modern Library's Top 100 novels of all time list once but then Ulysses happened.
2013-11-04, 11:40 AM #68
'A Clockwork Orange', Burgess, Anthony
2013-11-10, 3:26 AM #69
'Guns, Germs & Steel: The Fates of Human Societies', Diamond, Jared
2013-11-10, 11:42 AM #70
Just finished:
The Enterprise of Death
Full of Moors and necromancy and whores. ./approved
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2013-11-10, 12:27 PM #71
Originally posted by Mentat:
'Guns, Germs & Steel: The Fates of Human Societies', Diamond, Jared

out of curiosity what did you think of it? I watched the documentary version and kind of want to read the book. Worth the read?
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2013-11-10, 1:10 PM #72
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
out of curiosity what did you think of it? I watched the documentary version and kind of want to read the book. Worth the read?

I actually just started reading it today. How was the documentary version? I noticed that one existed when reading the authors Wikipedia page but haven't seen it. If it's worth seeing, I'll likely watch it when I'm finished with the book. I just finished reading 'A Clockwork Orange' yesterday & am going to watch the film tonight (I haven't seen it since I was a teenager & I remember being a bit confused by it back then).
2013-11-11, 7:52 PM #73
Currently reading
The Cold Dish

Recently read
Ghengis Khan and the Making of the Modern World
Indian Givers
Night Watch
Day Watch
The Wind Through the Keyhole
How to Archer
Dresden Files 3-11