Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → SteamOS Announced.
SteamOS Announced.
2013-09-26, 5:13 AM #41
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
I get worried that some people overestimate the impact this has. Improved latency makes for a smoother and more responsive experience, but it doesnt work miracles. If I take an netbook atom running Win7 Starter and install an Intel designed Linux distro like Moblin it will feel snappier but it won't make the Atom perform like a desktop cpu. Benchmarks might show a few percentage points difference, but ultimately your going to get what you pay for. A $400 console or steambox can't compete with a $1000 desktop.
Latency isn't really the thing, it's the compute overhead that goes into all of those syscalls, and the memory and engineering overhead that goes into batching everything up so you minimize the number of syscalls. That syscall overhead doesn't sound like much, but it adds up quick when you're talking about fitting hundreds of D3D calls per pass, and dozens of passes, into a single frame that has to be presented in less than 16 ms.

I'm just not sure how you can have Mantle without running your games in the kernel.
2013-09-26, 11:25 AM #42
Doesn't SteamOS make that feasible now, although even with my limited (non-existent) knowledge of how operating systems work at that high level I can see some problems.
2013-09-26, 11:27 AM #43
Thank Christ they're not calling the hardware Steam Box or whatever ****ty name everyone was peddling. I do kind of wish they went with Steam Engine though.
nope.
2013-09-26, 2:12 PM #44
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Steam Engine

:D :D :D
幻術
2013-09-27, 10:15 AM #45
Steam Box Controller: http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamController/
? :)
2013-09-27, 10:52 AM #46
That looks... pretty damn awful
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2013-09-27, 10:56 AM #47
Originally posted by Mentat:

I don't think I'm liking that. It reminds me of playing FPS games on my phone when the movement is controlled thru two touch circles. It might be the best solution for a touchscreen but that's not saying much. I think for movement I want something more tactile: a thumbsticks or buttons.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-09-27, 11:04 AM #48
I actually think this is awesome.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2013-09-27, 11:25 AM #49
The haptics part is the big difference. I used to have a cell phone that used something similar to make the touchscreen feel clicky and it really worked. So instead of having a D-pad, you'll feel around on the disc for the edges of the d-pad and click when you feel them. I don't know how Valve's implementation will measure up, but the technology already exists and works.
2013-09-27, 11:32 AM #50
It's the first gamepad that I've seen that doesn't make me think "meh, business as usual". I really like the way that it looks & I'm eager to test it out with an FPS. I'm intrigued, to say the least, which is more than I can say for anything that Microsoft, Nintendo or Sony has done in years. I don't know how this whole thing will work out but this is the only time since the 90's that a console has gotten my attention.
2013-09-27, 12:24 PM #51
mmmphhh if the api actually lets you control the haptics. I can actually think of like 50 different things to do with it, all difference of kind **** that makes a game more immersive without dominating the design.

so like 50 more things than I can think of to do with wii, wii u, or kinect.

gaben plz do the needful. plz.
2013-09-27, 1:14 PM #52
It's a good controller I guess but **** you gaben WHERE IS HALF LIFE THREE YOU ****ER.
Also release the SteamOS.
2014 year of linux on the desktop
2013-09-27, 1:46 PM #53
from a goon: haptic **** is good, it works, feels like buttons. touchscreen is clicky too.
2013-09-27, 3:15 PM #54
http://theoatmeal.com/pl/state_web_spring/valve

i'll just leave this here.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2013-09-27, 4:21 PM #55
Originally posted by Jon`C:
from a goon: haptic **** is good, it works, feels like buttons. touchscreen is clicky too.

A lot of people are already deriding it, but it's new so I want to try it first.
Also I really hope Valve manages SteamOS better then Google did Android, which shouldn't he hard. I'm wondering how bloatware will work, and how 3rd party apps will work too. Will it fall victim to piracy? These are the questions of the hour.

release the steamos gave
2013-09-27, 4:50 PM #56
A lot of people are crapping all over it because they completely don't understand how the touchpanels are going to work, or what haptics are. They think it's just a round trackpad with rumble motors.
2013-09-27, 6:04 PM #57
Thank Christ they're not calling the hardware Steam Box or whatever ****ty name everyone was peddling. I do kind of wish they went with Steam Engine though.

Isn't that the exact same pun?

As for the controller, your probably right CM, it just looks like it would be uncomfortable to me. Not just the touch pads either, the button placement looks exceptionally uncomfortable, but I'd have to give it a try to know for sure.
I'll be quite happy if it also accepts mouse and keyboard though.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2013-09-27, 6:09 PM #58
It's been confirmed that it will be able to use anything steam or big picture can use now. I.E KB+M or other controllers.
2013-09-27, 6:16 PM #59
Originally posted by Deadman:
As for the controller, your probably right CM, it just looks like it would be uncomfortable to me. Not just the touch pads either, the button placement looks exceptionally uncomfortable, but I'd have to give it a try to know for sure.

it's smaller than you think.

[http://cdn3.store.steampowered.com/public/images/promo/livingroom/rljKewyz3M/prototypes.jpg]

leechin from valve because I am upselling their product, dwi.

gaben plz release the gabecube
2013-09-27, 6:17 PM #60
What is that planet thing on the site? I swear it's changed to show some sort of image but I can't make heads or tales of it.
2013-09-27, 6:32 PM #61
yeah you're right, it's been changing.
2013-09-27, 6:34 PM #62
change the class from day0 up to day3, you can see all the pics.

edit: filenames 00_planet_image, steamos_planet_image, machines_planet_image, and controller_planet_image, so probably nothing interesting hidden in there.
2013-09-27, 6:52 PM #63
you just said i was right
I'm savouring this like a fine steak flavoured aged wine cheese
2013-09-27, 10:20 PM #64
http://tommyrefenes.tumblr.com/post/62476523677/my-time-with-the-steam-controller
2013-09-28, 7:03 AM #65
Some more controller feedback - http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/201195/Select_game_developers_used_the_Steam_Controller_Heres_what_they_said.php
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-09-28, 7:08 AM #66
The meatboy review is pretty much exactly what I figured from the pictures. I think because my hands don't fit standard controllers, I might be a little more sensitive to the way various control methods work. This made sense as soon as I saw it.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2013-09-28, 8:41 AM #67
Originally posted by Deadman:
Isn't that the exact same pun?

No? A steam engine is an actual mechanical thing, like a valve is. A steambox is... nothing? Maybe one of those silly personal sauna things?
nope.
2013-09-28, 1:00 PM #68
No? A steam engine is an actual mechanical thing, like a valve is. A steambox is... nothing? Maybe one of those silly personal sauna things?

A steam box is what you use to bend wood.
[http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5985/hwzr.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

o.0
2013-09-28, 1:54 PM #69
I can't wait for the SteamOS bit coin mining app.
2013-10-11, 12:01 PM #70
Here's a video of the gamepad in action using the default configuration.
2013-10-11, 6:20 PM #71
Quote:
SteamOS Announced.

That's a funny way to spell 'Episode 3'.

:(
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-10-11, 6:46 PM #72
I would like to see a game pad where the aiming stick is replaced with a trackball that can be touched with the thumb on top and a finger or fingers on the bottom.
2013-10-11, 8:39 PM #73
I still can't see it working for RTS, CIV5 looked clunky.
It's early though, we'll see.
2013-10-11, 11:48 PM #74
Originally posted by Tracer:
That's a funny way to spell 'Episode 3'.

:(

I like how TODOA actually came out before DNF. In your face, Genkbutt!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-10-12, 12:42 AM #75
FPS controls looked pretty good to me. More accurate than control sticks. And it may look clunky, but it's still better for RTSes than traditional gamepads.
2013-10-12, 12:03 PM #76
I have a strong feeling that tweaking the settings on this thing will render even better results, but what they have as a baseline is pretty awesome.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2013-10-12, 12:31 PM #77
Quote:
"We strongly want to get into Linux for a reason," Gustavsson said. "It took Halo for the first Xbox to kick off and go crazy — usually, it takes one killer app or game and then people are more than willing [to adopt it] — it is not hard to get your hands on Linux, for example, it only takes one game that motivates you to go there."

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/12/4826190/linux-only-needs-one-killer-game-to-explode-says-battlefield-director

Kinda surprising comments considering how incredibly myopic and conservative EA has been in the past. Of course, we still have Bethesda's Linux announcement in 2785 to look forward to.

↑ Up to the top!