Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → and in other interesting news...
and in other interesting news...
2013-10-02, 2:34 PM #1
1. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is out, pilot written by Joss Whedon (of course). Will tell you what I think about it later.
2. They remade Flashback (the 1992 / 1994 spiritual successor to Another World). Might tell you what I think about it later.

Peace.
幻術
2013-10-02, 2:54 PM #2
Why didn't you just wait to make this thread until you actually had the content ready? Kooberculosis.
2013-10-02, 3:26 PM #3
Oldschool Flashback is one of my like top 5 favourite games ever.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-10-02, 3:36 PM #4
Originally posted by Koobie:
1. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is out, pilot written by Joss Whedon (of course). Will tell you what I think about it later.

I watched it. It was cheesy & awesome.

But I highly doubt the rest of the show will live up (judging by the first couple of minutes of the second episode).
幻術
2013-10-02, 3:38 PM #5
Originally posted by saberopus:
Why didn't you just wait to make this thread until you actually had the content ready? Kooberculosis.

Because I'm impatient like that.
幻術
2013-10-02, 3:42 PM #6
Also, I don't know when I'll buy the Flashback remake. November probably. ;)
Just wanted to share zie news.
Ciao.
PS. post 5,966.
Only 44 soldiers to go.

WIPE SEQUENCE COMPLETE
幻術
2013-10-02, 4:12 PM #7
bad news

2013-10-02, 4:51 PM #8
Yeah, the reviews weren't that good.
I don't actually have much expectations; it'd be a nostalgia trip.
Doesn't sound so great that it's more combat orientated, mm.
& hopefully the PC version will not have the listed glitches.
So yeah. We'll see. :)
幻術
2013-10-02, 5:09 PM #9
PS. Cool story, bro.
幻術
2013-10-02, 5:17 PM #10
The original was a puzzle platformer. I'm curious.

Also Koobie dooooooooooo.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2013-10-02, 5:56 PM #11
I am here.
幻術
2013-10-02, 7:42 PM #12
I've been watching a Let's Play of the new Flashback...so far I've seen up to Death Tower. It looks pretty slick, but I have to say the updated art style is kind of a letdown. It doesn't look bad per se, but in the original you could really tell that New Washington was this rundown colony whereas it's all sleek and shiny in the update.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-10-03, 4:18 AM #13
I gave the first episode a go & wasn't impressed. I'll give the second episode a go before deciding on whether or not to continue.
? :)
2013-10-03, 4:49 AM #14
Originally posted by Tracer:
I've been watching a Let's Play of the new Flashback...so far I've seen up to Death Tower. It looks pretty slick, but I have to say the updated art style is kind of a letdown. It doesn't look bad per se, but in the original you could really tell that New Washington was this rundown colony whereas it's all sleek and shiny in the update.

I never personally played the original, but watched my friend's older brother play it (who coincidentally got me into DF/JK) and the only thing I could think of when I first saw this remake is: "How do you NOT rotoscope/cel-shade the ONE game that it actually makes sense to do so, meanwhile every other low budget indie title does it poorly out of practicality?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2013-10-03, 8:05 AM #15
Originally posted by Mentat:
I gave the first episode a go & wasn't impressed. I'll give the second episode a go before deciding on whether or not to continue.

I enjoyed the first ep. The second was disappointing from start to finish. Not going to watch on.
幻術
2013-10-03, 7:05 PM #16
Okay, having watched the complete game here are my thoughts.

Cons:
-
It doesn't look or sound like Flashback. The original's music and artwork were a huge part of what gave Flashback such a great vibe and they're both missing. Like I said, the levels look good, but I much preferred the old look/sound. The Titan jungle and Morph planet looked great but New Washington and Earth/Paradise Club were a letdown. Death Tower was meh.
-The dialogue is bad. The voiceovers doesn't really help the game because the script and acting is pretty hamtastic.

Pros:
-The storyline makes more sense. I don't get the video review where the guy complains about plotholes; if anything, this game fixes a bunch of gaps in the plot created by the original: Ian's fate, why some guy is imprisoned on the Morph planet, what happened to Conrad's girlfriend. The missions given out in New Washington also make a lot more sense.
-The action and animations look great, and take a page from the original. I don't know why people are complaining about the amount of combat in the remake, one of my favourite things to do in Flashback was play on hard difficulty because the game threw so many enemies at you. There were puzzles, but the combat was a huge part of what made Flashback fun.
-The molecular glasses were a nice touch as they were a key plot point in the original but you never actually got to use them in-game, and I like how the teleporter has been streamlined.
-You no longer plunge to your death if you step onto a moving elevator.
-Riding the New Washington subway is no longer a giant hassle.

Other things:
-I always thought 'Conrad B. Hart' was a really goofy name and I was surprised they didn't change it to something...catchier maybe? I don't know. But something else.
-The ending clearly sets up the sequel Fade to Black, I'm curious to see if there are any plans to remake that as well or if the game's poor reception has ended those. I only ever played the demo of F2B but IIRC the controls were quite bad (it was a very clunky early third-person shooter).
-Since the remake was done by the original developer, it's interesting to compare both and see what got left out of the 1992 version, likely due to technical limitations (for example, the molecular glasses).

I would buy this game if I had the hardware and time to play current-gen games. It's not the Flashback game I really wanted to see, but I did enjoy watching an internet person play through it. Along with Strike Commander and Raptor: Call of the Shadows, Flashback is one of a short list of games that I would love to see remade. If I had any skill/time to mod games I would be working on it as an endless mod for source or unreal or something.

And for my outro here's one of the rocking tunes that was missing from Flashback 2013:
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-10-04, 6:48 AM #17
Damn, Tracer, that was classic.
2013-10-04, 6:48 AM #18
Might've even been a little wacky.
2013-10-04, 11:58 AM #19
Originally posted by Tracer:
Raptor: Call of the Shadows

:neckbeard:

↑ Up to the top!