Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → have MASSVIBES ever helped anyone?
have MASSVIBES ever helped anyone?
2013-10-07, 8:58 AM #1
if they have, please virbate.
if they have not, i think i would rather ask you to refrain. ;)

just sent my letter of intent & cv applying for this job (tl,dr: writer for Gameloft): http://www.gameloft.com/corporate/jobs/job-opportunities/97/2273?loc=0

I AM SOMEWHAT ANXIOUS. There's nothing more I want to do than do what I love full-time in a field that I think is basically the Hollywood of the 21st century (well, apart from writing awesome books and getting mega bucks for said awesomeness while having hot bi-sexual redheads feed me grapes in the morning).

Things that can go wrong:

1) They will just tell me to FO. I will be sad.
2) They won't tell me to FO but call me, arrange an interview, and then tell me to FO. I will also be sad.
3) Alien attack.
4) They will be cool with me, but will offer an unacceptably low wage. Considering that I have 2 kids and an ex-wife who I don't think even considered going to work in the 4 years that we've been divorced, this might be a problem. But not as big as a problem as points 1, 2 or 3.

Mmm... THE TREPIDATION.
幻術
2013-10-07, 8:59 AM #2
[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/7c993d290fc34e3eb2d8f0741b1ae055.gif] [http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/wofl.gif] [http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/7c993d290fc34e3eb2d8f0741b1ae055.gif]
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-10-07, 12:50 PM #3
YAY W00T FOR FGR.
who are these people anyway?
幻術
2013-10-07, 12:56 PM #4
Wolfy, Wolfy and Wolfy.

Who is OLD YEARS OLD today! Happy Old-Day, Oldfy!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-10-07, 8:30 PM #5
Never, but it's still possible that they're correlated with success.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2013-10-08, 12:36 PM #6
In other words, the more people vibrate... The harder I'm screwed?
幻術
2013-10-09, 4:57 PM #7
i voted for '3'
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-10-09, 5:10 PM #8
*technicolour*
nope.
2013-10-10, 6:54 PM #9
*discodance*
幻術
2013-10-14, 7:56 PM #10
Hey Koobz, good luck! I hear that 4 out of 5 doctors recommend Massassi Vibes.
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2013-11-19, 8:47 PM #11
Originally posted by Koobie:
if they have, please virbate.
if they have not, i think i would rather ask you to refrain. ;)

just sent my letter of intent & cv applying for this job (tl,dr: writer for Gameloft): http://www.gameloft.com/corporate/jobs/job-opportunities/97/2273?loc=0

I AM SOMEWHAT ANXIOUS. There's nothing more I want to do than do what I love full-time in a field that I think is basically the Hollywood of the 21st century (well, apart from writing awesome books and getting mega bucks for said awesomeness while having hot bi-sexual redheads feed me grapes in the morning).

Things that can go wrong:

1) They will just tell me to FO. I will be sad.
2) They won't tell me to FO but call me, arrange an interview, and then tell me to FO. I will also be sad.
3) Alien attack.
4) They will be cool with me, but will offer an unacceptably low wage. Considering that I have 2 kids and an ex-wife who I don't think even considered going to work in the 4 years that we've been divorced, this might be a problem. But not as big as a problem as points 1, 2 or 3.

Mmm... THE TREPIDATION.

Here's what actually happened:

They never replied. I sent a chase mail, no reply, mmmkay. Then the position disappeared from the list of available jobs. Guess they didn't need a writer after all.
**** it I thought, and re-did my CV to fit the Producer / Project Manager role and sent it; they sent 2 (kinda fun) tests for me, which you can find here:

www.tyrovogel.com/gl_motivation.doc
www.tyrovogel.com/test.doc

The next day after I filled in the tests, they sent me an e-mail saying "it is mostly good" and asked me to come in for an interview. Had it the next week, it was fun, but I think the guy was disappointed that I didn't actually play any of their games. I guess he had a point, I don't really game on the phone, and that's what GameLoft pretty much does. So yeah.

We mostly talked about video games and how to improve on them / how to make better sequels, etc. I guess the PM-related side of the questions were covered in the test. Anyway, I didn't get the job. They sent me an e-mail a week later saying that "they'd prefer someone with more industry experience," heh.

PS. I've asked them for $2,303 / month btw. (counting tax), a reasonable rate for such a position in the country I live in IMO.[/SIZE]
幻術
2013-11-19, 9:39 PM #12
Staff writer jobs are extremely rare in the game industry and heavily pursued. Other than EA Edmonton's game writing sweat shop, beginners don't stand a chance because you'll always be competing against people with 15 years of contract experience who are still looking for their first staff job. They needed a writer, and they hired someone.
2013-11-19, 9:48 PM #13
"Pursue your dreams" in action

Dreams really should be narrowed down by reason
2013-11-19, 9:58 PM #14
Originally posted by Reid:
"Pursue your dreams" in action

Dreams really should be narrowed down by reason

I was reasonably qualified for the PM position. My "dream" is to create stuff. I'm doing that anyway. If somebody would pay me to do it for them, though, I'd be all the merrier. Want to try to make a pen & paper RPG in the next 6 - 8 months. But that, like they say, is a story for a different time... ;)

PS. Also, nobody would pay me, but IT'LL BE FUN. Because DOING COOL **** is FUN. You should read Jonathan Livingstone Seagul by Richard Bach re: your sentiment about being 'realistic' IMO. [/SIZE]
幻術
2013-11-19, 10:01 PM #15
I will also mention that in the future, if you're looking for producer/PM positions in the game industry, it's really important for you to distance yourself from the creative side even if that is your ultimate career goal. The PM's job is to keep everything working smoothly and to resolve problems, and it makes life a lot harder for the actual creative people when the producer is in the mud pit along with them.
2013-11-19, 10:04 PM #16
In the games industry, everybody does a little bit of everything, so it's not totally unrealistic for somebody starting as a PM to move towards design / more creative stuff later. But yeah, the Project Manager is just the guy who makes sure that **** GETS DONE pretty much, heh.
幻術
2013-11-19, 10:07 PM #17
The guy I talked to (the studio lead) started off as a programmer, then moved onto PM, then to studio lead, apparently, though.
幻術
2013-11-19, 10:10 PM #18
7 AM. Time for a morning coffee, smoke smoke what? , coffee & croissant. Vacation rules.

[/SIZE]
幻術
2013-11-19, 10:13 PM #19
programmer -> pm -> studio lead is actually a very natural career path.
2013-11-19, 10:21 PM #20
It is.
幻術

↑ Up to the top!