Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Doom is 20
Doom is 20
2013-12-10, 9:10 AM #1
So give it some respect. Because it's the game that killed productivity, made churches into laughing stocks, got Lieberman's panties in a knot, and blew up Columbine (allegedly).

[URL="http://
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/12/john-carmack-doom/"]Also, John Carmack gives us an insightful interview.[/URL] Nothing on Doom 4 or Occulus Rift, however minus some mentions.
2013-12-10, 9:30 AM #2
I played through most of Doom and Doom II recently, I will post my wacky and classic review this evening.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-12-10, 11:45 AM #3
Ah my college years.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-12-10, 11:46 AM #4
You're 20.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2013-12-10, 2:12 PM #5
Art by Greg Pullam.
幻術
2013-12-10, 2:13 PM #6
Carmack should let Romero make Doom 4.
幻術
2013-12-10, 2:22 PM #7
Originally posted by Koobie:
Carmack should let Romero make Doom 4.

I'm not sure that's his call, Carmack left ID Software a little while ago.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/22/seismic-john-carmack-officially-leaves-id-software/
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-12-10, 3:57 PM #8
Like I said, I recently played through most of Doom I and II. I think I'm currently 2/3rds of the way through D2 and somewhere close to the end of Inferno in Final Doom. I played these using Gzdoom, which makes the game a bit easier: mouselook provides for greater control during combat and lets you to cheese enemies while jumping and crouching allow for some levels to be sequence-broken. You can turn all of these options off for the classic Doom experience, however. I played everything on Ultra-Violence which AFIAK is the highest difficulty that doesn't have respawning enemies (I think in Nightmare they respawn every 8 seconds or something).

Knee-Deep in the Dead and Shores of Hell are tons of fun. Episode 1 is trivially easy, especially because I played the crap out of it as a kid and have basically every map and monster memorized, but it's still a good time. The thing with Doom is that the action holds up quite well and the levels are non-linear in the sense that you can run around, double-back, and do whatever you want. Compare this with a game like Quake 4 (or the various Call of Duty's) where the player is basically funneled from cutscene to cutscene. We've all seen that "shooters today vs. shooters 20 years ago" image I'm sure.

Inferno is much more difficult, mainly because there's a lot less ammo to be found. You really have to hunt out every secret, many times I found myself going up against a tough monster with only my fists or chainsaw. Thy Flesh Consumed, the bonus episode, is really really really hard. Like HARD. I think I gave up on maybe the third level. This one is just out to get you: the same lack of ammunition as Inferno, monsters that teleport in right behind you and shoot you in the back, lots of the tougher enemies.

Doom 2 is great as well. One of the most frustrating things about Doom is that each episode starts you off with your fists of fury and a pistol with a few rounds. Doom 2 doesn't have episodes, so if you stay alive you can carry your whole arsenal through the entire game. There are also a lot more monsters, which makes the game more fun. Lost Souls are still annoying.

The best episode visually is the shareware one. The bizarro Hell textures aren't as visually cohesive (though I guess they weren't supposed to be?) and Doom 2's urban textures just look kind of lame. The techbase ones are still decent. Initially Doom was set on an alien planet named Tei Tenga instead of Mars. In the first episode you can find a viewscreen texture with an image of a planet and the words 'Tei Tenga' written on it.

Anyway Doom rocks. Enjoy!

COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-12-10, 5:31 PM #9
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
I'm not sure that's his call, Carmack left ID Software a little while ago.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/22/seismic-john-carmack-officially-leaves-id-software/

Good!

Well, I hope whoever's in charge gets John Romero to make it; the reason he and Carmack didn't get along is because Romero was more into innovation / design while Carmack wanted to focus on the technical side of things.

I don't want Doom 3 with prettier graphics (undoubtedly what id Software would've made if Carmack would've been at the helm). I want something new.

Though truth be told, in this day and age, the best new is often the almost-forgotten old (ie., Shadow Warrior).

What if they'd made Doom 4 follow the action-style KILL EM ALL feel of the original 2 games? That'd be cool.

Don't even need Romero for that.

Hmm...

:D :D :D

ninjacat
幻術
2013-12-10, 8:07 PM #10
Hey, look what else I found!

COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2013-12-11, 6:33 AM #11
I don't know Koobie, Romero reportedly said during a Doom Lets Play yesterday that if he were to direct Doom 4, it'd be a mash up of Battlefield and Fallout 3. Good game son thier own right, but, I would never consider their styles Doom-y enough.
2013-12-11, 4:17 PM #12
Originally posted by Clone Hunter:
I don't know Koobie, Romero reportedly said during a Doom Lets Play yesterday that if he were to direct Doom 4, it'd be a mash up of Battlefield and Fallout 3. Good game son thier own right, but, I would never consider their styles Doom-y enough.

That sounds sorta like Rage, which for some reason never really grabbed me. I think the Doom4 that I want would be a mix of Serious Sam (lots of enemies) with some jump scares thrown in during the 'slower' parts. Something like Resistance on the PS3, maybe?
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-12-15, 3:53 AM #13
I ran across this on Hacker News today & found it to be interesting & worth sharing.

http://blog.wilshipley.com/2013/12/my-doom-20th-anniversary-stories.html?m=1

I must also say that I've enjoyed all of the games that Carmack worked on--including Rage. Some of my best multiplayer experiences come from the Quake series. I actually loved Rage despite the issues with the ending (I didnt't read the reviews before playing it but wasn't sure that I beat it when I did). His games just ****ing worked & worked well--few games have I encountered that I didn't have technical issues with. I'm currently playing through Doom 3 for the first time & it's pretty great so far. I'm actually pretty torn about him leaving id software because I've loved his games but I also really want the Occulus Rift to succeed.
? :)
2013-12-15, 5:14 AM #14
Thanks for the link Mentat, I enjoyed reading about Will Shipley's experience porting Doom.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2013-12-15, 9:21 AM #15
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
That sounds sorta like Rage, which for some reason never really grabbed me.

I felt Rage could be more engaging if gameplay was more invented and not copied from current gen. It was a mishmash of current COD-style and RPG-lite progression ideas but doesn't do one thing well. But I will say the game ran surprising well on my laptop integrated card (HD4000) with smooth framerate, minus the texture-popping. So I'll give it that.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%

↑ Up to the top!