Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Neurosurgeons successfully substitute human cranium with 3D printed replica!
Neurosurgeons successfully substitute human cranium with 3D printed replica!
2014-03-31, 4:59 AM #1
A 22-year-old woman from the Netherlands who suffers from a chronic bone disorder -- which has increased the thickness of her skull from 1.5cm to 5cm, causing reduced eyesight and severe headaches -- has had the top section of her skull removed and replaced with a 3D printed implant.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-03/26/3d-printed-skull

Brain surgery photographs via link, click with caution.
幻術
2014-03-31, 10:11 AM #2
Only somewhat related question: has anyone here personally used a 3D printer? I'm just curious what your thoughts was on using one. Specifically, I'm curious on things like expectations versus what actual experience, what you've used it for, and issues you may have with it.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2014-03-31, 12:47 PM #3
I'm extremely wary of this technology. I mean, what if someone prints out Satan?
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2014-03-31, 12:58 PM #4
Originally posted by Gebohq:
Only somewhat related question: has anyone here personally used a 3D printer?

What a blast we had.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2014-03-31, 11:38 PM #5
Originally posted by Krokodile:
I'm extremely wary of this technology. I mean, what if someone prints out Satan?

The greatest trick Satan ever played was convincing the world he was unprintable.

THANKS, FCC.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2014-04-02, 6:25 PM #6
Originally posted by Gebohq:
Only somewhat related question: has anyone here personally used a 3D printer? I'm just curious what your thoughts was on using one. Specifically, I'm curious on things like expectations versus what actual experience, what you've used it for, and issues you may have with it.

The cheaper, smaller ones like Markerbots and Replicators are frustrating to use. I've only used these ones for producing stuff for leveling purposes and angular guides, but the stuff I get comes out so brittle and ugly.

The much more capable printers for commercial/research purposes are a blast.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%

↑ Up to the top!