Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Pseudo cloud?
Pseudo cloud?
2015-12-28, 12:44 PM #1
Hello tech savy massassians, I have a question that I'm posting probably on the wrong forum. Imagine the following situation:

I have two computers:
COMPUTER A: 32gb ddr3, 3tb sata 3 hdd, core i7 4970, GTX 960.
COMPUTER B: 4gb ddr2, core2duo E8200, two 500gb sata 2, and a 9800GT.

Computer B is obviously really slow.

On computer B I have a trainee learning how to touch up photos in photoshop cs6, but since all photos are 24MP in .nef or .cr2, his system is less than adequate. Since we cannot take turns using computer A (used for editing video), I am wondering if somehow I could configure our computers so that while I am using computer A, he can somehow use a remote desktop session or something to use photoshop on Computer A from computer B. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2015-12-28, 12:53 PM #2
Can't you just upgrade the memory of computer B?
Sorry for the lousy German
2015-12-28, 12:55 PM #3
Why not try it?
2015-12-28, 12:55 PM #4
For a moment I thought this thread was about kind of wanting to bang your high school teacher.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2015-12-28, 12:58 PM #5
Maybe if he's training to touch up photos he doesn't need to be working with 24MP RAW image files.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2015-12-28, 1:08 PM #6
Originally posted by Impi:
Can't you just upgrade the memory of computer B?

Mobo limit of 4gb.

Originally posted by Jon`C:
Why not try it?

Try what? What software?

Originally posted by Roger Spruce:
Maybe if he's training to touch up photos he doesn't need to be working with 24MP RAW image files.

Because we only shoot RAW, and because I need him to use Adobe Camera RAW.

EDIT: Why do we only shoot RAW? Because we are always paired with "photographers" who have no idea how to properly expose a picture. I can't do much about this until I train this guy how to properly expose and compose, something that will take some time.

EDIT2: Just to give you an idea of how bad it is, I have to configure our designated "photographer's" DSLR (if they even own one, a couple events back we had an iPhone photographer) of the event, and carry an extra SD card because the crappy 8GB sd cards just won't cut it.

EDIT3: Clients usually have a photographer picked out before a videographer.
2015-12-28, 1:32 PM #7
You misunderstand. He can train on files that aren't massive resource drains. The software works just the same.
2015-12-28, 1:33 PM #8
Edit 1: You misunderstood.
2015-12-28, 1:33 PM #9
Edit 2: Are misunderstanding.
2015-12-28, 3:48 PM #10
Ok, I figured out how to do it, and now it is working. While RDP is a bit sluggish, it certainly beats what he has now.
2015-12-29, 12:30 AM #11
What in the hell kind of advantage do you gain when correcting improper exposures and compositions that you don't gain using jpeg or whatever? You do know why the vast majority of DSLR camera bodies have the ability to shoot in both at the same time, right? Do you have any idea at all why that's a feature?

Hint: It's because most people don't spend their days retouching 24mp images.
>>untie shoes
2015-12-29, 2:12 AM #12
"My boss makes me use an 8 year old computer. I complained about it, but instead of buying something reasonable now he's making me remote in to his gaming computer. What a cheap ass."

- your trainee after work, probably
2015-12-29, 2:17 AM #13
I'm just saying, Gold, you shouldn't complain about iPhone photography when their equipment is higher-end than yours.

↑ Up to the top!