Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Academy Awards
The Academy Awards
2016-02-28, 9:39 AM #1
It's here! The annual Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences awards. Who will win which categories? Who do you hope will win?

Our very own ANTONY claims that Mad Max is a lock for best picture, which I still have a hard time believing even though I believe Antony knows his movie stuff. So while I still highly doubt it, Mad Max nabbing the Best Picture award would be fantastic. It's an amazing movie and it would be so awesome if it won.

Also Leonardo DiCaprio is finally getting his Oscar, so yay I guess. It would be kind of funny if he didn't, though, but he will. I suppose he deserves it at this point. I wonder if in his acceptance speech he'll address his streak where he's gotten nominated six times (five acting noms and one for producing) without winning.

I guess I'll also mention that the Oscars is a bunch of politics and also too white and whatever. I don't really care because I like the show but apparently you have to include these things if you're going to talk about the Oscars.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2016-02-28, 9:42 AM #2
Originally posted by Krokodile:
I guess I'll also mention that the Oscars is a bunch of politics and also too white and whatever. I don't really care because I like the show but apparently you have to include these things if you're going to talk about the Oscars.

Oscars are not and have never been in any way indicative of rightfully rewarding any actual talent (and that's not to say that the winners and nominees have been without talent, but that them being nominated or winning the Oscar doesn't actually indicate anything). But sometimes there have been fun, non-scripted moments (NSFWish).
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2016-02-28, 12:33 PM #3
Originally posted by Krokodile:
Our very own ANTONY claims that Mad Max is a lock for best picture, which I still have a hard time believing even though I believe Antony knows his movie stuff. So while I still highly doubt it, Mad Max nabbing the Best Picture award would be fantastic. It's an amazing movie and it would be so awesome if it won.

There is no good reason why it should not win. That being said, it very likely will not win.
>>untie shoes
2016-02-28, 12:41 PM #4
The unfortunate thing about Mad Max is that it really does deserve some actual awards show love. It's a really extraordinary film in pretty much every possible way.

It's very likely going to go down in history alongside Apocalypse Now and Goodfellas, as an utterly extraordinarily well crafted film that got shut out of the "real" awards.

I'll give you a hint: Goodfellas lost to a movie where Kevin Costner takes a bite out of a buffalo heart. This is almost invariably going to be another year where the Best Picture winner will be embarrassing within a decade, but at least we can take solace in the fact that Stallone is almost definitely going to finally get a goddamn Oscar. Hey, it's only almost 40 years after he should have gotten one to begin with!
>>untie shoes
2016-02-28, 5:58 PM #5
I haven't seen The Revenant but the movie looks interesting except for Leo's part. It reminds me of Inarritu's previous movie, Birdman, but Keaton came across like he belonged in that main role. It seems, to me, like Leo doesn't work in the same sense...? I mean, I liked Leo in the Wolf of Wall Street but as a trapper in the cold, harsh wilderness?

Gotta watch Mad Max one day soon
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2016-02-28, 6:55 PM #6
sound editing and mixing should go to star wars but because the people who decide on these awards know dick about sound editing and mixing it will go to not star wars (and not even mad max which would be an acceptable though still wrong choice)
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2016-02-28, 9:16 PM #7
Well a lot of the awards went to Mad Max (editing, production design, costume design, makeup & hair, sound editing and sound mixing) but the biggest ones didn't. I'm glad it got six Oscars but it should have won everything in the universe.

**** the Oscars.
2016-02-29, 12:03 AM #8
Well I slept for a couple more hours and I guess I'm pretty happy with how the Oscars went down. I mean, six Oscars is a pretty huge nod for a movie that wasn't going to win the biggest ones anyway. And Spotlight looks like it should be a great movie. And while I was rooting for Stallone, I read somewhere that the dude who won Best Supporting Actor was actually amazing in Bridge of Spies.

So yay Oscars!
2016-02-29, 8:47 PM #9
Too white for me.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

↑ Up to the top!