Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Science Fiction recommendations?
Science Fiction recommendations?
2016-04-01, 11:42 AM #1
I'm looking to get into science fiction but I haven't read very much beyond Dune and the Ender's Game series. Suggestions?
former entrepreneur
2016-04-01, 3:58 PM #2
Kroko, don't unspoil this.

Red Rising by Pierce Brown
2016-04-01, 5:07 PM #3
Snow crash.
Cryptonomicon.
The entire Expanse series.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2016-04-01, 5:16 PM #4
The Girl with the Scarab Necklace
2016-04-01, 11:07 PM #5
I've heard great things about Stanisław Lem. I'm reading Solaris right now.
2016-04-02, 12:51 AM #6
I'm liking the Old Man's War series, by John Scalzi.
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2016-04-02, 3:27 AM #7
I loved The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury (didn't like Fahrenheit 451, though) and I, Robot by Isaac Asimov.
Sorry for the lousy German
2016-04-02, 4:58 AM #8
The Martian, I listened to it via audiobook before the movie was announced and it was great.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2016-04-02, 6:56 AM #9
Blindsight by Peter Watts (first contact story that's the antithesis of Star Trek. also contains vampires and if that makes you shy away, read it anyway, they're done so well)

Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan (hard boiled detective type BS in a future society where digitized consciousness effectively ends death (unless your backup is destroyed, you're not wealthy enough, etc.))

I second the motion for Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon. If you like either of those, you'll like The Diamond Age, also by Stephenson, though it has more of the problems that are, as time goes on, increasingly present in his fiction.

And yeah the Martian is good fun.
2016-04-02, 7:03 AM #10
Adiamante and The Parafaith War by L.E. Modesitt, Jr.
2016-04-04, 4:59 AM #11
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
I've heard great things about Stanisław Lem. I'm reading Solaris right now.
I enjoyed Return from the Stars. It's one of the few tangible books that I own.
? :)
2016-04-04, 5:16 AM #12
Originally posted by Eversor:
I'm looking to get into science fiction but I haven't read very much beyond Dune and the Ender's Game series. Suggestions?

Ernest Cline's Armada & Ready Player One were entertaining & worth a read.

I agree that Andy Weir's The Martian is also a good read. The movie isn't bad either (one of the few films I bothered watching in 3D).

Beacon 23 was decent enough for me to add the Silo Series to my queue.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Neuromancer, Asimov's Foundation Trilogy, etc.

I'm actually quite fond of Robert Silverberg, but I rarely convince anyone to read him. Hawksbill Station, The World Inside, Tower of Glass, etc.
2016-04-04, 8:10 AM #13
Move Wool and its sequels to the top of your queue, I loved those. Also Sand by the same author (Hugh Howey) is worth a read.
2016-04-04, 10:55 PM #14
Twilight
2016-04-04, 11:12 PM #15
Galactopticon
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2016-04-05, 2:22 AM #16
Originally posted by Brian:
Move Wool and its sequels to the top of your queue, I loved those. Also Sand by the same author (Hugh Howey) is worth a read.

I'll check'em out.
2016-04-06, 4:38 AM #17
Basically what saberopus said, particularly Blindsight

Also:
Pretty much anything by Iain M. Banks
Stories of Your Life and others by Ted Chiang (probably my favourite short story collection in any genre)
Embassytown by China Mieville
2016-04-06, 4:07 PM #18
Originally posted by Recusant:
Pretty much anything by Iain M. Banks

I second this. I nearly cried when it was announced that he had died. :(
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.

↑ Up to the top!