Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Jones IMR (remake)
Jones IMR (remake)
2016-04-05, 11:40 AM #1
Hello to everyone!

I have a couple of questions about Indiana Jones & Infernal machine. Because i want to mod it (at last!)

1) Which file extension is used for the levels in this game?

2) Which engine used for creating this game (sith, scumm or what)?

3) Which level editor was used to work with levels?

Under that i will describe of what i allready know:

About level editor i read somewhere that Tim Miller used Lea (proprietary level editor). But as i know proprietary things will still proprietary forever (especially when it comes to disney stuff).

I know that game have used GOB archives like it did JK and MOTs
3do - was used for 3d models
cog - used for scripts
mat - used for images
cnd - for audio stuff

But i have no idea for what purposes game uses these extensions:

ai (i think it may be for scripts too)
pup
snd (i think it may be for sounds)
spr
snm

And in the end of all this crap i don't know what file extension have been used for levels.
2016-04-05, 11:46 AM #2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sith_(game_engine)

That'll answer 1-2 of your questions.
? :)
2016-04-05, 11:54 AM #3
Ok. If game was made with Sith, then why i cant find level files? Many of them too small for level files. And i forget to say that i was trying to use 3D Ripper DX and Ninja Ripper to extract map (level) data. But it doesn't worked

And i tried to find some information about Jones engine - but didn't find anything
2016-04-05, 12:35 PM #4
It used Sith, but it was a heavily modified version. I heard that some of the ASCII formats were swapped for obfuscated binary formats. Unfortunately the EULA explicitly prohibited reverse engineering and modding, so most of the people who traditionally reverse engineered LEC first person shooters chose not to do so.

I wouldn't expect DX debuggers to have much success extracting geometry because the game far predates when that kind of information was sent to the graphics hardware.
2016-04-05, 1:12 PM #5
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Unfortunately the EULA explicitly prohibited reverse engineering and modding, so most of the people who traditionally reverse engineered LEC first person shooters chose not to do so.

But i want to make a fan made mod. What's bad about it? What's bad if fans want to make a mod for the game that they love? And by the way - all rights will still be reserved by Lucas Arts and by Factor 5. I'm not pretending to the rights of that game. Because i know that i can't. So - i just want to make mod like it did Half-Life modders when created Black Mesa Source. Why then Valve not punished those modders?)

And - what does mean "LEC"?
2016-04-05, 1:59 PM #6
Lucasarts Entertainment Company. They made Infernal Machine.

There isn't anything wrong with modding, but it's against the Infernal Machine license agreement. Valve explicitly encourages modding, like many other companies. Lucasarts chose otherwise.

The Dark Forces 2 community and tool developers broadly chose to respect the license agreement. We collectively never documented anything about that version of the engine, or made any tools for it.

I think I'm the last person actively working on Sith engine internals. I don't have time to work on another game right now, but if you have any questions about DF2 I can point you to resources.
2016-04-05, 2:26 PM #7
Well, that's a weird way to get started. But if you said that it will be ok if i will do all of my modding stuff only here and nowhere else, then ok, it's no problem and i agree with that.

About DF2:

Yeah, i think i will need some things related to that game (tools, extractors, programms and so on) to be able to learn on it, as it represents nearest bro-game to Infernal Machine game. Actually right now i'm trying to figure out - what language is used in cog scripts. It looks like C, but I do not know exactly... and if it's so - then where i can find learning resources to learn it?
2016-04-05, 2:42 PM #8
Like I said, we don't have tools for Infernal Machine. DF2 tools probably won't work for Infernal Machine, because even though it's the same engine, they changed a lot of things to make modding harder. (Edit: for example, I believe scripts are precompiled bytecode in Infernal Machine - so learning cog won't help much)

You would need someone with a programming background to figure out what the files do and create tools to edit them. Nobody has done this work yet AFAIK.

If you have a tech background I can help you understand what some of the files are meant to do (even if the format has changed). But unfortunately I can't help you start modding like you would another game. The tools just don't exist yet. Sorry!
2016-04-05, 2:58 PM #9
It's no problem. I guess i know how to approach to this task. If i can't access to some parts of original game, then i will make my modification to it in Unity or Unreal Engine 4. For that time while I was looking for tools for edit IMR (6 months) i figured out that i can recreate levels if i will just copy map schemes from game (when press M key) and collect a lot screenshots from it (press F12 during play).

reason why i was first asked here about tools for level editing for that game was for understanding how difficult task it would be. Now i understand - it will be very difficult. That's why I changed my mind in the direction of modern game engines :)
2016-04-06, 2:24 AM #10
Here what i have found on lucasarts forum: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2873582#post2873582

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJqZyk4A1Ig

and here is they page on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fateofatlantisSE

So, i think there will be no problem. If they did that and it's ok - then i can make my mod too. Because i think that many things has changed for 16 years from 2000.
2016-04-07, 4:07 AM #11
Unrelated in a way but I wonder what is Disney's attitude toward Star Wars fan creations now that LucasFilm is owned by The Mouse.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2016-04-07, 6:04 AM #12
I can't say something about that, but from what told me creators of FOA SE (remake of old game) it seems that Disney don't like to talk to indies, unless they have big publisher behind them

↑ Up to the top!