Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Laptop Recommendations
Laptop Recommendations
2016-07-07, 1:24 PM #81
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Most Linux users know about nm and readelf -d anyway.

I can't tell when you're joking anymore.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2016-07-07, 1:51 PM #82
Originally posted by gbk:
I can't tell when you're joking anymore.
It's a factual statement. It's also a joke.
2016-07-07, 7:31 PM #83
I'm a full-time professional Linux, but I don't really understand what this post is saying...? I agree with the broader point that Linux software tends to be difficult to use (QA is boring and expensive, and nobody is willing to pay for it). But for the life of me, I can't figure out how either dependency management or... er, compartmentalization/abstraction (?) is a headline problem.

Most Linux users know about nm and readelf -d anyway.

It's not really a Linux problem. It's a problem with software I end up using on Linux. IE, engineering and research tools maintained by researchers. Everything iterates constantly, and no one cares about backwards compatibility.
2016-07-07, 7:38 PM #84
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
It's not really a Linux problem. It's a problem with software I end up using on Linux. IE, engineering and research tools maintained by researchers. Everything iterates constantly, and no one cares about backwards compatibility.
Christ. Academic code is the worst, and you have my condolences for continuing to deal with it. I fled that **** ASAP.

But like you said, it's not really fair to judge Linux by this problem. Linux has a stable ABI, so it's entirely feasible to package software in a working state with all dependencies. In fact, Linux is in a better state for this than Windows, since you can link entirely self-contained executables that have the dynamic linker disabled. On Windows you cannot do this. However, getting this right is difficult, boring, and expensive, and it requires a degree of engineering maturity that I've frankly never seen in academia. There's just a world of difference between people who ship on Linux because it's the right platform for the product, and people who use Linux because it's academicy/their PI says so/they can't afford Windows.

One of the grad students I worked with wrote all of his C/C++ code in header files. That's gross and stupid, but I don't hold it against C++.
2016-07-09, 6:50 AM #85
One of the grad students I worked with wrote all of his C/C++ code in header files.

I thought this was limited to physicists; there truly is no God.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2016-07-27, 11:50 AM #86
"Customers can expect the same great search experience powered by Bing and Microsoft Edge with the added benefit of Cortana’s personality."

-PCWorld on Microsoft's decision to force users to use Cortana

****ING

WHY
2016-07-27, 12:19 PM #87
So you feel like the lead detective in a buddy-action movie
I had a blog. It sucked.
2016-07-27, 12:21 PM #88
Have Seth Rogan and James Franco made that movie yet? Where Rogan & Franco smoke weed together, this time with one of them being a holographic AI?
I had a blog. It sucked.
2016-07-27, 12:30 PM #89
HAL 9000 can stay in the movies, which Linux distro is cool right now,

↑ Up to the top!