Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Blade Runner
Blade Runner
2018-08-15, 9:55 PM #41
What Blade Runner got right is that we are all drops of water.

It's too bad he won't evaporate, but then again who does?
2018-08-16, 12:54 AM #42
Originally posted by Steven:
Watch it while you're stuck in that little town in Illinois.

I haven't seen it either. I watched the first one a few years ago and remember being unimpressed (and little else). I had heard about the movie for years and years and was when I eventually saw it, I was underwhelmed. Maybe I was expecting something different, but I didn't care for it.

I think people are drawn to the aesthetic and setting more than the movie's plot.
2018-08-16, 7:27 AM #43
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Actually, the thing that bothered me most about Blade Runner 1 was the population. Where'd they think all of those people were supposed to come from in just 37 years?

They came from everywhere outside of LA that was rendered uninhabitable.

But actually, what makes you think there's some impossible number of people living in the city? The streets are crowded, but we only see a few blocks here and there. And downtown area with its glittering towers doesn't seem to be unbelievably tall or wide to me. I always saw it as a regular sized but extra dense urban center, surrounded by a zillion acres of blasted industrial landscape (surrounded in turn, as we saw in BR2049, by 1,000 zillion acres of irradiated ****scape).
2018-08-16, 8:13 AM #44
Originally posted by saberopus:
They came from everywhere outside of LA that was rendered uninhabitable.
But they didn’t reveal that until the sequel!

Quote:
But actually, what makes you think there's some impossible number of people living in the city?
The voiceover for the trailer of the Bad Version said LA had 109 million people in it.

Quote:
The streets are crowded, but we only see a few blocks here and there. And downtown area with its glittering towers doesn't seem to be unbelievably tall or wide to me. I always saw it as a regular sized but extra dense urban center, surrounded by a zillion acres of blasted industrial landscape (surrounded in turn, as we saw in BR2049, by 1,000 zillion acres of irradiated ****scape).
That just raised more questions for me. Was it nuclear war? Why did Las Vegas get hit but not America’s most important port, Los Angeles?
2018-08-16, 8:38 AM #45
Originally posted by Jon`C:
The voiceover for the trailer of the Bad Version said LA had 109 million people in it.

Ah, well. Don't know what to say about a Trailer Voiceover for the Versions That Don't Exist. ;) 109 million people seems nutty.

Quote:
That just raised more questions for me. Was it nuclear war? Why did Las Vegas get hit but not America’s most important port, Los Angeles?

I don't know, but given how far that detail is outside the scope of the actual events of the movie, it doesn't seem like enough to break suspension of disbelief. I can imagine plenty of reasons why a dirty bomb might go off in Las Vegas but not LA, whether or not there was a nuclear war going on. In the film, it doesn't seem like the solar energy / agriculture / waste field areas of San Diego, etc., are irradiated, so I just assumed a "localized" nuclear event in Vegas and general depopulated, polluted ****holes everywhere else in the vicinity outside LA.

But I do also find those questions intriguing, at least. I guess I don't know if when you say it "just raised more questions", you mean merely that, or that they distracted you or hampered your enjoyment of the movie.
2018-08-16, 9:02 AM #46
The population growth did distract me
from the first movie, but I had a lot of time to sit and think during that movie for some reason.

The second one didn’t have anything bother me until after tbh.
2018-08-16, 9:09 AM #47
The Ruskies bombed Ellis AFB
2018-08-16, 10:28 AM #48
Everyone was trying to make it in tinseltown.
former entrepreneur

↑ Up to the top!