Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Anybody want to set up a new forum?
Anybody want to set up a new forum?
2023-07-17, 6:45 PM #1
Hi everybody, just a thought that I've expressed in some of the other threads - is anybody interested in migrating to another forum when Brian shuts down this one?

I know there aren't many discussions anymore and most of the users seem to have moved on, but I would miss the connections and the community. Massassi was a huge part of my teenage years and I guess I feel nostalgic for it. I know there's discord but I've tried that and don't really like it, and of course social media now but I don't do that either.

I'm thinking it would be nice to have a small discussion forum just to chat with each other from time to time and maybe a showcase for people to post whatever editing or mods they might be messing around with.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2023-07-17, 8:49 PM #2
best thing you could do is try to get discord to work. It's the future of massassi
former entrepreneur
2023-07-17, 8:52 PM #3
lololol
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2023-07-17, 9:57 PM #4
I get the sentiment, but the same issues that affect these forums would still be there e.g. upkeep costs, server maintenance, software maintenance, moderation, spambots
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2023-07-17, 10:29 PM #5
Originally posted by Tracer:
I know there's discord but I've tried that and don't really like it

IRC/Discord's always been awkward, because it feels less like an open discussion space and more like a big group chat from a circle of friends that you're intruding on. I don't know what discord server(s) you've tried, but all I can say is: if there's something you want to say, just jump in and give it a chance. Worst case scenario, you find out that you won't chat there, which just puts you back in the same situation you're in right now.
2023-07-18, 6:49 AM #6
For a minute there I was trying to find the 'insert quote' button. :p I guess these forums are old.

FGR: I think the cost for myself (and perhaps others who may be interested) is inconsequential. Moderation and spam are trickier but I feel not insurmountable.

Jon: Thanks for the invite to the discord, I've been on the one you run a bit but I find that the nature of the chat doesn't work too well for me. I guess I'm used to reading threads and replying at my leisure.

If there really and truly is nobody left who wants to do this then maybe I'll give discord another shot. Or maybe run off to usenet haha.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2023-07-18, 10:59 AM #7
My recommendation to Tracer is that he hop on the Discord and and 1) insult everyone, 2) make racist and homophobic remarks, and then 3) diatribe about how Milton Friedman and Alan Greenspan don't get enough respect, especially for their social views, but also for their sound economic theories. For bonus points, throw around the word "genius" a lot when talking about them. You'll make a lot of friends that way.
former entrepreneur
2023-07-18, 9:43 PM #8
Originally posted by Eversor:
My recommendation to Tracer is that he hop on the Discord and and 1) insult everyone, 2) make racist and homophobic remarks, and then 3) diatribe about how Milton Friedman and Alan Greenspan don't get enough respect, especially for their social views, but also for their sound economic theories. For bonus points, throw around the word "genius" a lot when talking about them. You'll make a lot of friends that way.
[https://pa1.narvii.com/6163/d689e2abc0695e1b27d849907a4012a9d3f9e77e_hq.gif]
My blawgh.
2023-07-18, 9:48 PM #9
Originally posted by Tracer:
Jon: Thanks for the invite to the discord, I've been on the one you run a bit but I find that the nature of the chat doesn't work too well for me. I guess I'm used to reading threads and replying at my leisure.

You're welcome, but I meant it as general advice. All IRC and Discord servers feel alienating at first. It's an unfortunate consequence of the medium.

I'm sure there are some discord servers that like milton friedman, tho.
2023-07-18, 10:11 PM #10
I can't get into most discord servers. It's usually dominated by one line conversations and memes.

I hang out on the unofficial discord, and while I prefer a forum format, it's mostly not memes, and it captures the original experience fairly well.
2023-07-18, 10:18 PM #11
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
I can't get into most discord servers. It's usually dominated by one line conversations and memes.

I hang out on the unofficial discord, and while I prefer a forum format, it's mostly not memes, and it captures the original experience fairly well.

except in the discord you can say **** and ****
former entrepreneur
2023-07-18, 10:21 PM #12
2023-07-18, 10:38 PM #13
now that's what I call problematic
former entrepreneur
2023-07-18, 10:44 PM #14
2023-07-18, 10:46 PM #15
hehehe
former entrepreneur
2023-07-18, 10:52 PM #16
Originally posted by Eversor:
except in the discord you can say **** and ****

I'm not to be trusted with such power.
2023-07-21, 11:52 AM #17
For anyone interested in what the ISB offered, there's The Plothole, which you can find in my signature.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2023-07-22, 8:46 PM #18
<deleted by user:00001>
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2023-07-22, 8:47 PM #19
<deleted by user:00001>

2023-07-26, 1:35 PM #20
why are wookie's posts being edited?!
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2023-07-26, 7:10 PM #21
Quote:
Last edited by Wookie06; 07-23-2023 at 08:16 PM.
looks like he's editing them himself.
2023-07-27, 12:03 AM #22
Bloody hell, I look away for 3 seconds and suddenly there's a multi-platform Wookiefest going on
2023-07-27, 7:07 PM #23
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
Bloody hell, I look away for 3 seconds and suddenly there's a multi-platform Wookiefest going on

Ooh, interesting. Perhaps I'll get some reports. I edited a couple posts so as not to drag on the thing I started the other night. I said, basically, there won't be a place I can speak freely except for one (not here) where I can but I'm not going to spam it [with facts and logic] anymore.

Anyways, Nikumubeki, I'm really sorry to diminish the spotlight on you. I never intended to distract others from paying attention to you.

2023-07-27, 8:55 PM #24
Originally posted by Wookie06:
Anyways, Nikumubeki, I'm really sorry to diminish the spotlight on you. I never intended to distract others from paying attention to you.

Not your fault, you've always been their darling.
2023-07-28, 8:56 PM #25

From a Massassi institution INTO a Massassi institution!

'LO and behold the fall of FGR - who once had the forum banner reflect his tinkerings and was confided to by a forum admin concerned by someone's take on Gamergate, but eventually ended up being labelled, abandoned and left as a mere footnote after Wookie06!

While the latest Wookiefest seems to have ended, it will return!

(Amusingly though, even Wookie06 gets some benefit of the doubt that I don't. HMM SUSPICIOUS)

↑ Up to the top!