Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What is the saddest spice?
What is the saddest spice?
2023-07-28, 3:58 PM #1
Let's settle this debate
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2023-07-28, 4:29 PM #2
These threads... I just don't... I can't... urgh.

I guess parsley.
2023-07-28, 8:20 PM #3
Parsley is a strong choice. I'm going to put in a word for dried basil. If I had parsley in one hand and dried basil in the other, I'd have to think about which to throw into the garbage first.
2023-07-29, 7:09 AM #4
Apparently before we can settle the debate on the saddest spice, we must debate the difference between herbs and spices.
2023-07-29, 7:15 AM #5
What you think if someone said "hey man, you like bananas, right? how would you like something that tastes kind of like banana, but worse?" and then tried to feed you a banana peel? That's mace. It's the banana peel of nutmeg.

I'm not mad about it existing, but it's a pretty sad state of existence. So my answer is mace. Mace is the saddest spice.
2023-07-29, 7:20 AM #6
Hands down Fenugreek. I've never found a good use for it, and eating it straight is like munching on freeze dried cat piss.
My blawgh.
2023-07-29, 1:45 PM #7
When I was a kid it seemed that restaurants would always use a sprig of parsley to garnish a plate. I always thought of them as little trees and I thought they didn't taste good at all. Later in life I was slightly surprised to see that it was an actual spice (or herb, I suppose it's an herb) but I still have no idea what you would really want to put it in.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2023-07-29, 7:06 PM #8
spice girls
former entrepreneur
2023-07-29, 8:19 PM #9
Not sure what's up with the hate parsley is getting here. It's superb when freshly chopped and served with melted butter or olive oil, as a garnish for something like orzo (which goes especially well with seafood such as salmon).
2023-08-04, 7:44 AM #10
Parsley exists purely to add some colour to proceedings.

It's also not a spice.
nope.
2023-08-04, 7:57 AM #11
Originally posted by Roger Spruce:
Let's settle this debate

Spices don’t have feelings
former entrepreneur
2023-08-04, 1:03 PM #12
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Parsley exists purely to add some colour to proceedings.

It's also not a spice.

Sure, in the same way a tomato is not a vegetable. (There's a difference between the culinary use of a thing and the scientific definition of a thing.)

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/parsley-benefits
https://spiceislands.com/product/parsley/
2023-08-04, 2:41 PM #13
Parsley has a fresh peppery flavor that's oil-soluble. It's not overpowering, but it doesn't need to be. It's kind of like bay leaves. It's always ok to dislike what you dislike, but don't trick yourself into thinking that something's useless just because you don't know what it's for.

Fresh parsley doesn't keep long and it's not super cheap. Restaurants wouldn't put it in their garlic butter or bouquet garni if it didn't do something.
2023-08-05, 11:03 AM #14
what if the restaurant is run by an mba?
former entrepreneur
2023-08-05, 11:04 AM #15
what if the restaurant consults with mckinsey?
former entrepreneur
2023-08-05, 3:25 PM #16
Originally posted by Eversor:
what if the restaurant is run by an mba?

Originally posted by Eversor:
what if the restaurant consults with mckinsey?

if restaurants were run by mbas and hired mckinsey, they'd probably get bailed out a lot more
2023-08-06, 12:13 PM #17
Originally posted by Jon`C:
if restaurants were run by mbas and hired mckinsey, they'd probably get bailed out a lot more

that's where Jon Taffer comes in
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2023-08-06, 12:45 PM #18
love that guy
former entrepreneur
2023-08-06, 12:46 PM #19
and his wife!
former entrepreneur
2023-08-19, 12:05 PM #20
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Parsley has a fresh peppery flavor that's oil-soluble. It's not overpowering, but it doesn't need to be. It's kind of like bay leaves. It's always ok to dislike what you dislike, but don't trick yourself into thinking that something's useless just because you don't know what it's for.

Fresh parsley doesn't keep long and it's not super cheap. Restaurants wouldn't put it in their garlic butter or bouquet garni if it didn't do something.

A weirdly serious reply to my being obviously flippant??
nope.

↑ Up to the top!