Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Cooking Thread
The Cooking Thread
2023-07-31, 12:27 PM #1
Since the forums have been revitalized, let's get some real threads going.

This thread is about cooking. Share your recipes, post results, post photos, post articles. Anything and everything related to the culinary arts.
2023-07-31, 12:29 PM #2
I bought some fresh dill today, going to split it and this cucumber I bought amongst a batch of olivier salad (basically, potato salad) and a greek dinner I have planned. I have some cooked chicken breast I need to eat in the next few days, so that with the tzatziki and a greek salad should be good, and the olivier salad will be good for lunches in the next few days.
2023-07-31, 12:53 PM #3
Fondant potatoes are the best potatoes and I will hear nothing to the contrary
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2023-07-31, 1:01 PM #4
Originally posted by Roger Spruce:
Fondant potatoes are the best potatoes and I will hear nothing to the contrary
Fondant potato

2023-07-31, 1:30 PM #5
I haven't been taking photos recently. Or notes.

Here's a melon pan recipe.

3 3/4 cups (450g) all purpose flour, divided (450g)
1 tsp (3g) kosher salt
3/4 cup (140g) sugar, divided, plus extra for the top
1 1/4 tsp (4g) instant yeast
1/2 tsp (2g) baking powder
2 large eggs, beaten, divided
50ml milk
50ml water
1 stick (or 95 g) unsalted butter, divided

Heat 50ml water to about 110 F. Prove yeast in water.
While waiting, combine 2 cups (250g) flour, salt, and 1/4 cup (40g) sugar in a large mixing bowl.
After the yeast has proofed, add yeast mixture, milk, and 1 beaten egg to the flour mixture and stir until a shaggy dough forms. Turn out onto a floured work surface and knead until the dough is smooth and passes the window pane test. While kneading, incorporate 2 1/2 tbsp (35g) softened butter.
Form dough into a ball and place in a greased mixing bowl. Cover and set in a warm location for approximately 1-2 hours, or until doubled in size.

While waiting, create cookie dough by creaming remaining sugar with remaining softened unsalted butter. Add remaining egg, beaten, and stir until the mixture is homogeneous.
In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining flour and baking powder. Add to the butter mixture and stir until a cookie dough forms.
Using a kitchen scale, divide the cookie dough and roll into 10 even balls.

After the bread dough has finished bulk fermenting, divide into 10 even pieces using a kitchen scale. Form each piece into a roll. If you don't know how to do this, look it up. Using the heel of your hand, press a cookie ball into a disc that tapers slightly toward the edge. Wrap the cookie over the top of the bun, dip in granulated sugar, and use a bench scraper or pastry knife to cut a cross-hatch pattern into the top of the cookie, being careful not to cut all the way through.

Place the buns on a cookie sheet, cover, and set in a warm place for about an hour. You won't be able to tell because of the cookie, but fermentation is happening. The buns won't rise much now but they'll expand more in the oven when the cookie shell heats up.

While waiting, preheat oven to 350 F.

Bake for 13-15 minutes at 350 F, ensuring even browning.

Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.

Melon pan is basic and easy to modify. Feel free to mix up the cookie dough, add cocoa powder, matcha powder, whatever. Put some red bean paste inside the bun. Make a melon pan eclair. Whatever.
2023-07-31, 1:37 PM #6
That looks fun. I noticed you used all metric measurements except the oven temperature. That seems odd, do metric countries typically not use celsius for oven temperature?
2023-07-31, 1:37 PM #7
For the past year all I've made is birthday cakes and I don't really want to share those photos, but a couple of things from before then:

Italian macaroons.

Daifukumochi. Made the mochi from scratch using mochi rice, the filling was just from a can. I strongly recommend against making mochi from scratch at home.
2023-07-31, 1:45 PM #8
Originally posted by Brian:
That looks fun. I noticed you used all metric measurements except the oven temperature. That seems odd, do metric countries typically not use celsius for oven temperature?

Canadians and Americans use the same units for baking. We both use Fahrenheit, cups and spoons, with grams for people with more equipment/experience. I just didn't provide a cups/spoons equivalent.

I edited the recipe to include them.
2023-07-31, 5:21 PM #9
[https://i.imgur.com/yMBoBKG.jpeg]
2023-08-01, 2:53 PM #10
Today I made my special fajitas. The secret is grilling them up on the Forman before eating!
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2023-08-01, 8:00 PM #11
i made beyond meat sausages
former entrepreneur
2023-08-01, 9:49 PM #12
Did you like them? I think I bought some beyond stuff and when cooked it made the house smell like rotten cat food :(
2023-08-01, 11:09 PM #13
Did you like them? I think I bought some beyond stuff and when cooked it made the house smell like rotten cat food :(

My sister-in-law and her husband are vegan. They both agree Beyond meat has a weird smell and aftertaste, but Impossible meat is pretty decent. As a meat-eater I'd say Impossible meat is definitely not tricking anyone into thinking it's meat, but the flavor and texture are actually pretty good, especially if seasoned properly. I just look at it as another option now, akin to a turkey burger instead of a beef burger.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2023-08-02, 9:46 PM #14

hadn't thought of it like that before but i guess that's kind of apt
former entrepreneur
2023-08-02, 9:50 PM #15
Originally posted by Jon`C:
For the past year all I've made is birthday cakes and I don't really want to share those photos, but a couple of things from before then:

Italian macaroons.

I thought you didn't like macaroons?
2023-08-02, 10:24 PM #16
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
I thought you didn't like macaroons?

I don't. Macarons are only good for showing off because they're hard to make.
2023-08-03, 9:27 AM #17
what do you think of amorphous piles meat, wrapped in bacon, covered in sauce, with a pointy stick jabbed into it? if you're into that sort of thing, i know somebody you should ask to cook for you
former entrepreneur
2023-08-04, 7:47 AM #18
Originally posted by Jon`C:
I don't. Macarons are only good for showing off because they're hard to make.

They're just bad meringues. Pretty though.
nope.
2023-08-04, 6:25 PM #19
a grilled cheese where nobody can argue about the name

[https://i.ibb.co/51fM1fG/IMG-0959.jpg]
may or may not be DrkJedi82
2023-08-05, 9:31 AM #20
Originally posted by Eversor:
what do you think of amorphous piles meat, wrapped in bacon, covered in sauce, with a pointy stick jabbed into it? if you're into that sort of thing, i know somebody you should ask to cook for you

They're jalapeƱo peppers stuffed with mashed potatoes and cheese, packed inside sweet Italian sausage, wrapped in bacon, and covered with a hot honey bbq sauce. Smoked for hours. I call them chihuahua droppings.
2023-08-05, 11:01 AM #21
sounds dank tbh
former entrepreneur
2023-08-11, 9:14 PM #22
Is there a maximum file size for images? I'm not having any luck uploading pictures of the delicious food I cook.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY

↑ Up to the top!