Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Classic FPS Star Wars: Dark Forces is getting a remaster
Classic FPS Star Wars: Dark Forces is getting a remaster
2023-08-23, 4:32 AM #1
[URL="http://Classic FPS Star Wars: Dark Forces is getting a remaster"]Link[/URL]
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2023-08-23, 1:13 PM #2
I literally just saw this and thought to come here and post it. Very cool, but a little bummed it's basically just an upscale. It would have been neat to see this done in a true remastered, modern-day style. A lot of the Unreal remasters being worked on right now are a good example of this. Regardless, still cool that Lucasfilm agreed to license work for legacy games. I wonder if we might see the same done for the rest of the series down the road.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2023-08-23, 2:15 PM #3
It looks really good to me, I'm glad they stuck with sprites instead of 3d models, etc. Still full mouselook, though, which is a huge improvement. Based on a post on https://df-21.net/ the Force Engine author helped out so that is cool. I'm hoping for some easy linux support (from either project, really!).

I found the puzzles in DF to be kinda brutal and I ever only beat it once. Looking forward to another play through but I'll be sure to have a guide ready in case I get stuck for too long.
2023-08-23, 6:49 PM #4
Article about it on Ars, they captioned a screenshot commenting that the E-11 was being held sideways. They obviously had someone who doesn't know the mag loads from the side :P
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2023-08-23, 10:05 PM #5
I'm still convinced that Dork Farces for mats is the way to go
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2023-08-24, 6:17 AM #6
I'm eager to try their Quake II remaster, since that's one of the games that got me into PC gaming, I may get around to their System Shock II remaster, and though I'd have preferred a remaster of JKDF2, I'll likely play this as well.
? :)
2023-08-24, 10:23 AM #7
Originally posted by Mentat:
I'm eager to try their Quake II remaster, since that's one of the games that got me into PC gaming, I may get around to their System Shock II remaster, and though I'd have preferred a remaster of JKDF2, I'll likely play this as well.

I’ve only spent a few minutes with it, but it looks and feels smooth. Probably worth the ten bucks if you are at all into the genre.
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2023-08-24, 6:44 PM #8
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
I'm still convinced that Dork Farces for mats is the way to go

That would have been a cool project.
2023-08-26, 1:16 PM #9
This looks amazing, I will buy. Next up JK/MotS please!
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2023-08-28, 9:11 AM #10
I just got the Quake II remaster and it's fantastic! I would be so happy if they did JK. Although with JK:Enhanced and the various texture packs and Jon`C's upscale thing, we're right there. Except it's all quite a pain to get working. It sounds like with DF and JK the original source code was completely lost, right?
2023-08-28, 1:15 PM #11
Word is, the mass of new kids will be looking for a place for discussions and file hosting.
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2023-08-28, 5:54 PM #12
Tenshu, every time I see your signature it reminds me of picking a seat in a movie theater.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2023-09-01, 3:14 AM #13
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
Tenshu, every time I see your signature it reminds me of picking a seat in a movie theater.

I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2023-09-03, 6:46 AM #14
So the green ones are available, right?
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2023-09-04, 6:04 PM #15
Originally posted by Brian:
It looks really good to me, I'm glad they stuck with sprites instead of 3d models, etc. Still full mouselook, though, which is a huge improvement.

Agree, beats playing it on a Logitech joystick they way I did fps games back then.

Doom with voxels isn't awful to look at tho. Mods?
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2023-09-05, 3:32 PM #16
But you need a joystick if you want to game like John Romero.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2023-12-10, 5:03 AM #17
This now has a release date, 28th Feb. I'm hoping something additional gets thrown in, maybe a map or two, or maybe something left out of an earlier version of the game.

↑ Up to the top!