Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Spooky month stuff
Spooky month stuff
2023-10-03, 11:38 AM #1
Anyone doing anything of note for October?

I'll be running/playing quite a few horror-themed TTRPGs such as Dread, likely attending a couple parties (though I have no idea what I'll be doing for a costume), and perhaps dispensing candy on actual Halloween night for trick or treaters. I'm uncertain if I'll carve a pumpkin this year or not, as I've enjoyed carving game-themed designs but it's getting harder to do ones I haven't already done, that I'm capable of doing, and that I want to do.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2023-10-05, 3:47 PM #2
Is it just me or has it only been in the past few years that as soon as Oct. 1 hit all of October was Halloween themed?

I used to like Halloween a lot, until it became so corporate. :p
former entrepreneur
2023-10-05, 3:53 PM #3
Originally posted by Gebohq:
I'll be running/playing quite a few horror-themed TTRPGs such as .

Are you going to play ChangedStars?

oh wait :(
2023-10-05, 4:37 PM #4
Well, it looks like the kids and grandkids will be home. The thread reminded me, I was thinking of a Darth Vader costume. I have the Obi-Wan series version of his helmet. It's not particularly comfortable and I'll probably be mostly blind but how many kids get to trick or treat with Grandpa Vader? Kylo's gonna be so jealous!
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2023-10-06, 9:58 AM #5
Originally posted by Brian:
Are you going to play ChangedStars?

oh wait :(

I had backed that as well.

For those curious, I'll at least be running a one-shot of Dread, which uses a block tower like Jenga instead of dice, and Ten Candles, a one-shot "tragic horror" that uses tea candles as its primary characteristic mechanic. I often run Alien RPG as well, and I may run a homemade one-shot this month, but we'll see. I already got to play a one-shot of Call of Catthulhu, which was hilarious and fun stuff.
2023-10-08, 4:15 PM #6
Wow I have never heard of jenga-based gaming. Looks like a ton of fun!
2023-10-31, 3:37 PM #7
Happy Halloween, y'all! Turned out the kids and grandkids hadn't planned to stay through Halloween, they all left Sunday, so I saved some money not buying a bunch of Darth Vader stuff. We don't get many trick or treaters either since so many people don't participate anymore and it's a bit cold. I'll spend the night mostly catching up on school work I suppose.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2023-11-02, 11:45 AM #8
Originally posted by Brian:
Wow I have never heard of jenga-based gaming. Looks like a ton of fun!

It is! It and Ten Candles are pretty story-improv heavy and light on rules, but adding the tower definitely adds the tension to it.

On Halloween itself, I also ran a game of Parsely, the scenario itself called Spooky Manor. It simulates old-school text adventure games a little too well. XD

Also, while technically after Halloween, I got to see the Five Nights at Freddy's movie. It was surprisingly more entertaining than I was expecting! No masterpiece theater, of course, but it didn't feel like a mediocre adaptation either. Granted, I guess they've gotten better with that in general, but still.

↑ Up to the top!