Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Y2K
Y2K
2024-01-11, 7:11 PM #1
Seems like it was kind of overblown, if you ask me
former entrepreneur
2024-01-13, 5:21 AM #2
Like the turn of a new millennium or are you talking specifically about the Y2K bug?
My blawgh.
2024-01-13, 9:05 AM #3
the bug

seems like it was a weird secularized way to channel millenarian anxieties. Like, of course we’d find some way of imagine that the world would end in the year 2000
former entrepreneur
2024-01-13, 9:07 AM #4
former entrepreneur
2024-01-13, 12:45 PM #5
I'm more concerned with the Y2.1K bug. Like, what am I supposed to do in the year 2100 when my Casio G-Shock's calendar will no longer be accurate?
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2024-01-13, 2:50 PM #6
It may be that I just am not around the places that would talk about such things, but it does feel like the popular concepts of an 'end-of-the-world' trigger event have largely been replaced with the "we live in the darkest timeline" mentality instead. Particularly in the roughly 50 years between the early 60s and the early 10s, there'd be various events from Cold War turning into WW3 to various doomsday prophecies such as Y2K and the 2012 Mayan calendar bit. I'm not weighing in on when humanity was "truly" near doomsday or what things may truly be events of a "darkest timeline" mind you, just general popular sentiments.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2024-01-14, 3:25 AM #7
Originally posted by Wookie06:
I'm more concerned with the Y2.1K bug. Like, what am I supposed to do in the year 2100 when my Casio G-Shock's calendar will no longer be accurate?

You’ll be like 300 years old then
former entrepreneur
2024-01-14, 10:56 AM #8
Wookiees have long lifespans.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2024-01-14, 4:46 PM #9
True
former entrepreneur
2024-01-15, 5:16 AM #10
Originally posted by Gebohq:
It may be that I just am not around the places that would talk about such things, but it does feel like the popular concepts of an 'end-of-the-world' trigger event have largely been replaced with the "we live in the darkest timeline" mentality instead. Particularly in the roughly 50 years between the early 60s and the early 10s, there'd be various events from Cold War turning into WW3 to various doomsday prophecies such as Y2K and the 2012 Mayan calendar bit. I'm not weighing in on when humanity was "truly" near doomsday or what things may truly be events of a "darkest timeline" mind you, just general popular sentiments.

I remember being pretty taken with the idea that I was living in one of the darkest times on earth when I was an adolescent, but learning more about history we have it collectively better than probably any other time on the planet. Sure there is some messed up stuff happening, but even in the most poverty stricken countries there are humanitarian efforts being made from wealthy outside contributors. In the past things would arguably be far more bleak and apathetic.
We also don't have to worry about being killed and eaten by bears while we go outside to crap in a splintery outhouse, so that is a bonus too.
My blawgh.

↑ Up to the top!