Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → "Open Source supports America's enemies" says SCO
"Open Source supports America's enemies" says SCO
2004-01-21, 10:42 PM #1
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/35042.html
2004-01-21, 10:53 PM #2
tsk tsk

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-21, 11:13 PM #3
Can someone give me the background to all this? Cause it sounds rather funny [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)
Ab Hoc Possum Videre Domum Tuum
(I can see your house from up here)
"But he's not going to carry you three" said Death.
"Why not?"
"It's a matter of the look of the thing"
"It's going to look pretty good, then, isn't it" said War testily, "the One Horseman and Three Pedestrians of the Apocralypse"

"I am the signature virus! Copy me into your signature so that I can take over the world! Moohahahee!"
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)
Morituri Nolumus Mori
2004-01-21, 11:21 PM #4
It all started when SCO sued IBM for inserting System V UNIX code into Linux. SCO claimed ownership of the System V source code from a deal done with Novell way back, and it's all descended from there, and SCO is threatening to sue Linux users for using their software without licence. For an overview of the whole thing, check out
http://www.vnunet.com/Specials/1141951
2004-01-21, 11:56 PM #5
How can SCO own Linux? I thought it was free, no-one owned it...
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-01-22, 1:43 AM #6
They're saying that Linux contains portions of code that they wrote, and that were included into Linux without their permission.

Sounds like a load of horse crap to me. Remember when Saddam bought 200 ps2 stations, and everyone was afraid that he would find a way to turn them into a collective super computer to work on making nuclear weapons? Turned out he was just giving them as gifts to the most trusted and able members of his government.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-------------@%

DSettahr's Homepage
2004-01-22, 3:51 AM #7
They didn't write it. SCO claims to have purchased the rights to UNIX from Novell. Novell realizes that UNIX is basically dead ('cept the BSDs), so they [Edit: Corrected!] don't really care. I believe, thus far, it's been demonstrated thoroughly that Linux doesn't contain any UNIX code.

SCO is a useless company. They're pretty much screwed, and they have yet to prove they have any ownership rights at all. I believe, as far as the Novell agreement goes, they only have the rights to the System V name and distribution (but don't quote me on that).

[This message has been edited by Jon`C (edited January 22, 2004).]

↑ Up to the top!