Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Why didn't lucasarts do it?
Why didn't lucasarts do it?
2004-01-21, 10:53 AM #1
To me, KotOR seems to have basically the same D&D setup and feel of NWN(I don't tihnk it uses the same engine though)and I'm wondering why lucasarts didn't include a map editor or multiplayer? They worked with bioware on KotOR, so it makes more sense for them to do so. Also, why aren't there any orange saber crystals? I love orange sabers.....but I can't have them in that game.

------------------
I am the god of dating! You will respect my authoritah!

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stuart Mill
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-01-21, 10:54 AM #2
In the PC version, you can buy an item at the yavin station called the heart of the guardian that will give you an orange saber

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-21, 10:56 AM #3
Probably no MP because of Galaxies. But it could happen.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-21, 11:14 AM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fishstickz:
In the PC version, you can buy an item at the yavin station called the heart of the guardian that will give you an orange saber

</font>

if onlly I could get the cheats for the saber crystals right....

------------------
I am the god of dating! You will respect my authoritah!

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stuart Mill
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-01-21, 11:37 AM #5
don't blame LEC, blame BioWare [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]
but quite frankly it's a freaking awesome game... no need for a map editor.

i just wish there was an OS X version so i could play on my PowerBook (=

------------------
i thought about this being the anti-sig... or the sig virus... or the sig of your nightmares... but i decided that some painful rhetoric might work instead...
just kidding. ;)
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2004-01-21, 11:57 AM #6
Actually Kieran it does use a heavily modified version of the NWN engine.

------------------
AGONetwork
Bobbert006:The other day my dad said, "I think the world has passed me by."
I told him he isn't missing anything.

AGONetwork
2004-01-21, 3:09 PM #7
Wouldn't map editing be shortcoming? How would maps made by the community ever come close to the quality of KOTOR's maps? Deus Ex featured the same problem. It would require a lot of skill, time, and effort. Few would dare.

------------------
Multiplayer Game Alias: II88BlackOps
JA is awesome!
Corrupted Paths, my WIP for JA. Screens here: http://imagebase.freewebspace.com/photo.html

My quote: "People choose to side with the left, and the others choose to side with the right. I go forward."
2004-01-21, 3:19 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Is_907:
don't blame LEC, blame BioWare [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]
but quite frankly it's a freaking awesome game... no need for a map editor.

i just wish there was an OS X version so i could play on my PowerBook (=
</font>

Actually it is LEC who said no toolset. I don't know if they said no MP. But KotOR most definitely needs MP and a toolset.

------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-01-21, 3:21 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Apophis:
Actually Kieran it does use a heavily modified version of the NWN engine.</font>

That's incorrect, actually. The NWN engine utilized the system used by 3rd edition Dungeons & Dragons. The KotOR engine uses the rules established by the d20 Star Wars 2nd Edition core rulebook.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-01-21, 3:43 PM #10
Uh, how is that relevant? He's talking about the game engine. The rules don't matter at all.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-01-21, 4:12 PM #11
Maybe they're hardcoded into the game engine...RPG games are weird.
2004-01-21, 4:20 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fishstickz:
In the PC version, you can buy an item at the yavin station called the heart of the guardian that will give you an orange saber</font>

Yeah, those cystals rock.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-01-22, 4:05 AM #13
RPGs and MMORPGs are extremely different and need to be designed very differently. RPGs tend to focus more on quests whereas MMORPGs try to make players work together to kill mobs. Not much point in playing a pure 'healer' type class in a single-player RPG if there's no-one else to bash mobs, and there's no point in playing a MMORPG if you're just going to do everything on your own.
Unless KOTOR had some sort of Diablo-esque setup, it'd need a total redesign. and it's perfectly good single player.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935

↑ Up to the top!