Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Snowboarding
Snowboarding
2004-01-20, 10:01 AM #1
Just went snowboarding for the first time ever (haven't ever skied either) at Mt. Spokane on Sunday evening...

Anyway, I was having a great time, and progressing quite quickly, imo. Then I crashed hard. (Not that that was the first time I crashed, it just hurt a lot more that time.) Basically what happened, was I was going down the bunny hill (I'd already moved on to a supposedly more difficult hill and had no trouble) when a kid cut about 30 yards in front of me and fell over. I carved to the right to dodge him, and did so without much difficulty... However, when I carved back to the left, the backside of my board swung around, and the front edge dug into the snow, launching me face first into the air. I landed hard on my shoulder, hearing a sound somewhere between a squish and a crack. For a split second I thought I broke my collar bone (mostly due to the sound it made when I hit). Anyway, I got up and was sitting in the snow, my feet and board out in front of me, thinking I was ok, and should try another run. However, when I leaned against my arms to push myself up, my left arm completely gave way, and I fell back again.

That was two days ago, and it still hurts horribly if I move it quickly or try to lift any amount of weight. For example, I just sneezed a couple minutes ago and felt a sharp, stabbing pain.

Overall, though, it was worth it. I just hope it will be healed enough in order for me to play drums at church on Sunday...
Anyway, can't wait to get back on the mountain. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Tia mi aven Moridin isainde vadin
http://www.writings-emag.net The next big thing since individually wrapped cheese slices (coming soon).
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2004-01-20, 10:04 AM #2
Sarn! long time no see [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

hah... you sure you didn't break it? i had a green stick fracture and didn't know it for 2 weeks =P

------------------
i thought about this being the anti-sig... or the sig virus... or the sig of your nightmares... but i decided that some painful rhetoric might work instead...
just kidding. ;)
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2004-01-20, 10:06 AM #3
Go to the doctor. You may have broken something, seperated your shoulder or torn a rotator cuff

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-20, 10:11 AM #4
Yes, I fractured my wrist once and although I diddnt know it, when I moved it in a certain way, or tried to pick sometihng up, it would give a sharp pain. I saw the docotor and he said i had fractured my wrist :-|

See a doctor.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-01-20, 10:28 AM #5
Yeah.. Snowboardings alright, but I prefer skiing, it gives me a better sense of control (I know some will argue this point, but it all comes down to preference)

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-20, 10:35 AM #6
I remember my first time snowboarding. It was at a place called Paoli Peaks in southern Indiana. I twisted my knee and it hurt for months. A guy we went with broke his collar bone, and some random guy jumped off the ski-lift (trying to perform a trick of some sort) and broke his leg. I was in to skateboarding back in the early 90's and have to say that I enjoy snowboarding much more. Sorry to hear about your pain...go to the doctor (unless you're like me with no insurance and then you're just screwed).

------------------
http://www.napalmdeathsquad.com
2004-01-20, 12:23 PM #7
Actually, I don't have insurance, and thus will not be seeing a doctor...

I don't think it's broken though, and besides, from what I've heard, there's not really much that can be done about a cracked collar bone beyond providing pain medication and maybe putting the arm in a sling...

Anyway, it is kind of annoying when you have to have your mom help you put your shirt on... (I did yesterday, I was able to do it myself today). Not to mention, waking in the middle of the night, and taking about 2 and a half minutes to roll from one side of your body to the other due to the pain.

And a funny story:
Sunday night after the injury, I was in the lodge, and decided to get something to eat. I went to order something, and my younger sister's friend (Megan, 14, and someone whom I consider to be like a younger sister to me) went with me. I decided on what I wanted, but my wallet was zipped into a pocket in my snowboarding pants on the left side of my leg, about 3 inches above my knee, and on the outside of the leg. Due to my not being able to move my shoulder, I asked Megan to unzip the pocket in order that I might retrieve my wallet. However, I neglected to put much thought into the wording of my request and said, "Megan, will you unzip my pants?"

She had not been paying attention to what I had been doing up to that point, so did not realize that I simply wanted the pocket unzipped. Needless to say, she was quite confused. She responded with an emphatic, "What?!" to which I replied (having then realized the sexual innuendo behind my statement), "Yeah, I bet you never thought I'd ask you to do that, did you?"

Of course, I then proceeded to explain my predicement, and she unzipped the pocket and the evening proceeded somewhat normally.

------------------
http://www.writings-emag.net The next big thing since individually wrapped cheese slices (coming soon).

[This message has been edited by Sarn_Cadrill (edited January 20, 2004).]

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2004-01-20, 3:39 PM #8
That sucks a$$ for your first time snowboarding man. To bad. Im sorry it had to happen. Ive recently gotten some snow to and ive had a lot of fun. Its best to go at night when everythings completely frozen. It goes so fast!!

------------------
Madquack and Firbnic have a signature.
*Remnant Temple beta almost done*
Light And Darkness
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2004-01-20, 5:51 PM #9
yes snowboarding is quite fun the first time i went i ended up with a buckle bone fraction atleast thats what my doctor said but all the doctors where i live are not very smart...but snowboarding at night is fun..
2004-01-20, 6:41 PM #10
Psshhh.....doctors....

------------------
Official Staff of Massassi Temple:
-Chat Op
-Level Poster
-Forum Admin
-Level Comments Admin
-EC Admin

Moral to the Story: Don't Mess
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-01-21, 5:06 AM #11
We need a madquack in here. That could solve all of our problems.

------------------
Madquack and Firbnic have a signature.
*Remnant Temple beta almost done*
Light And Darkness
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2004-01-21, 5:16 AM #12
ah, skiing injuries, don't you just love'em, i've had my fair share don't worry, although to be honest yours sounds pretty bad compared to the stuff i've got, u sure somethings not broke?

------------------
I heard someone say once that the world is a fine place and that it was worth fighting for....I agree with the last part.

People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots website
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2004-01-21, 5:32 AM #13
1) Move to the UK. It's allll free.
2) You should see a doctor anyway. If you've fractured something it could very easily get worse.

------------------
Yeah, but you know what? This one, this one right here, this was my dream, my wish, and it didn't come true. So I'm takin' it back. I'm takin' 'em all back.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-01-21, 5:50 AM #14
w00t! I just went snowboarding yesterday. Might have torn something in my shoulder...kinda like yours, only I did it before I went....and the boarding made it worse.

[This message has been edited by moldy_hair (edited January 21, 2004).]
Twenty-Eight Days, Six Hours, Forty-Two Minutes, Twelve seconds...
2004-01-21, 12:26 PM #15
You could....go to the Emergency Room, and then provide them with a false name and social security number....

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-01-21, 12:45 PM #16
It's better to snowboard on your butt. I prefer to do it with the help of 1080 on N64 or SSX on PS2. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/cool.gif]

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-01-21, 7:24 PM #17
I don't think it's broken, because I can still move it around most directions... It's mostly just when I try to move it fast or against pressure (ie opening doors, lifting stuff) that it really hurts...

It's still quite swolen, though, and I've never broken a bone before, so I have no reference to compare the pain to... I hope it's better by Saturday evening for Worship practice...

------------------

2004-01-21, 7:46 PM #18
That's not cool.

I did nearly the exact same thing on New Years Eve, except I did break my ring finger on my right hand (three fractures, and a chunk of bone floating on it's own. Sucks.) I often forget that it's broken, so I hurt myself. Simple tasks are difficult (like getting my keys out of my pocket).

Motrin and Vicadin are your friends.

[By the way, what have you been up to lately? All the noobs in #Massassi are crawling all over your jumping cliff. We haven't seen you for some time, we figured Skimpy had you locked in his closet.]

[This message has been edited by Hellequin (edited January 21, 2004).]
2004-01-21, 7:50 PM #19
What slope... I don't know a ton about Mt Spokane but i can see one that faces.... NE... and the rest just light up the sky.
2004-01-23, 9:22 AM #20
...well, I'm starting to think that maybe I did crack my collar bone... My dad was looking at it this morning, and moved it around various directions, and concluded that I probably did. And there's no way he would say that I probably did, if he didn't think so. Plus a bunch of other people have said that that's what it sounds like...

Oh well, there's not much I can really do, anyway, besides just try and keep it still. Do you guys think it would help to heal faster if I took a calcium supplement?

------------------

2004-01-23, 9:46 AM #21
Always helps when dealing with broken bones and/or fractures

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-23, 10:05 AM #22
My older brother recently cracked his collar bone when he took a hard fall at his jujitsu practice. At first the doctors adjusted his arm and put it in a sling, gave him painkillers, and told him to take the next week off from work/driving. It wasn't healing or mending at all, so he had to go in for surgery where they riveted his collarbone together again with several bolts.

He's ok now because he DID go see the doctor, if he hadn't had the operation done, it wouldn't have mended at all, or it would have mended very badly (which would have forced the doctors to painfully break the fracture open again anyhow and set the collarbone again. Whee another few weeks recovery...).

My verdict: Go see a doctor as soon as possible, better safe than sorry.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-01-23, 10:40 AM #23
Reminds me of when I broke my arm on an amusement park ride. I had a cyst on one of my bones which caused it to break easily when I held onto the bar in front of me and inertia caused me to go forward. I actually didn't know it was broken until I got it x-rayed the next day.

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by SG1_129 (edited January 23, 2004).]

↑ Up to the top!