Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsInteractive Story Board → New Serious Story
New Serious Story
2002-01-31, 5:53 AM #1
Attention all writers (both new and old):

I'm thinking of starting a new story (this one SERIOUS, no spoofs or inappropriateness on this one), and I'm wondering how many of you would be interested in writing for it in this context.

I have two story ideas, one called "The Chronicle of Llyr" and the other "The Ring of Oltheris".

The Chronicle of Llyr takes place is a setting that has both magic and a little bit of futuristic technology, including battle androids, lasers, and the like. The land of Wyrdain is imperiled by the evil Emperor Achren of Annuvin. The main character is Llyr, head of an elite squadron of fighters defending Wyrdain. If you wrote for this story, you could make up a character to be a member of this elite squadron. There is much more to this story than just this, but these are the beginning basics.

The Ring of Oltheris takes place in a fantasy world ruled by Destiny and torn between the influences of the three Eternal Sources: Ao, Po, and Xo. The villain Oltheris long ago created a ring that would give him mastery of the universe, but a band of brave heroes cast the ring away from him before he was able to use it. Oltheris is raising an army, intending to gain back his ring, and a new group of heroes must band together to stop him, preventing him from becoming Ringlord and Master of the Universe.

If you're interested, please post stating that you are, and which story you'd like to see started (or both).

Thanks! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Play epic RPGs such as Year Infinity, or duel in the Interdimensional Arena @ The High Citadel
Play epic RPGs such as Year Infinity, or duel in the Interdimensional Arena @ The High Citadel
2002-01-31, 7:07 AM #2
Unfortunately, I don't have the time (now, or later) to invest in any more serious stories, as the Vision series (as you've so aptly coined them) will be taking most of my time (probably the next 2 years). However, I am always up to doing small parts, or certainly being a good support writer/idea person, like I do sort of for Battle for the Nexus.

And of course, I'll be making sure to give your stories innovative twists (aka keeping possible plagerism out [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif])--I say that cuz currently the second sounds similar to Lord of the Rings.

Good luck with starting them out [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Check out the following stories:
The Neverending Story Thread(comedy *sci-fi/fantasy*)--never finished--

(in story order)
The Change (The Second War) (sci-fi/fantasy) --not finished/on hold--
The Crusade--tentative title (fantasy/sci-fi) --To Be Announced--
Saga of the 3rd War (fantasy/sci-fi) --finished--
The Shadows of Darkness (fantasy/sci-fi) --finished--
The Eternal War (fantasy/sci-fi) --not finished/IN PRODUCTION--
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2002-02-01, 7:52 AM #3
The first idea sounds a bit more intresting since the second is a total ripoff from the lord of the rings (no offense dude). The first one sounds somewhat familiar also, but still it'll be fun to try. By the way I just got onto the story section of the M. Forum and Ive got absolutely no idea whatcha guys are doing here...

------------------
"We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely. All art is quite useless." -Oscar Wilde
"We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely. All art is quite useless." -Oscar Wilde
2002-02-01, 2:25 PM #4
Alright, one vote for the first one (Chronicle of Llyr). And just to clarify, though the second one (Ring of Oltheris) sounds like a rip-off of Lord of the Rings, it's actually not. The only similarity is the fact that there is a ring. It could just as easily be a sword or some other talisman.

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
2002-02-01, 3:18 PM #5
My vote goees to Chronicle of Llyr. although, if it were some different symbolic object for the other one it would be much better.

when can we get started?
may the farce be with you.
2002-02-01, 4:02 PM #6
Alright, this is good. Now, if we can get at least one more writer, that would be good!

. . .

Don't everybody volunteer at once. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
2002-02-02, 12:47 AM #7
I like the sound of the first. When you say there's magic as well as advanced technology, is it some sort of techno-gothic environment?
2002-02-02, 5:39 AM #8
Good, good! We have some writers! I'll start the story shortly.

And I'm not entirely sure what a techno-Gothic environment is, but I don't think so.

------------------
2002-02-03, 5:45 AM #9
I will write. I'll be less sporadic than usual.
"Rabbits will jump farther if you throw them..."
2002-02-05, 1:45 PM #10
Can somebody who've been through this procedure say how things work here? Do we just make a story by parts in the forum, part after part, or everyone writes their own version? And how is all this compiled together? In other words, how does this all work? I will be most pleased if you will have the time to answer my questions.

------------------
2002-02-05, 2:28 PM #11
I believe I can answer this (I hope).

As far as "how things work" on this forum, you can do a number of things.

~You can start up your own story, either that you write on your own, posting the parts of the story however you wish, or that you ask others to help write for. Usually, the person who starts the thread tends to have "chief" say over it, though of course, there are always exceptions and reasons why it might be otherwise (like if the person who started it doesn't want to be the final word on it). I fyou start your own, you have to make it clear what kind of plot and story or whatnot you want it to be in your first post, and ADVERTISE for writers. They're hard to come by, trust me. Then, you can decide from there if you're going to e-mail your writers on how you want the story to go, or if you jsut let it run wild on its own.

~If you join in another story (like The Eternal War, The Neverending Story Thread, or Battle for the Nexus), it's usually a good idea to read all that's related/part of it before writing for it, to get the feel of the story. If you can't, or whatever, it ain't the end of the world, obviously--you'll most likely be filled in and catch up. Whoever started the thread is usually the best person to e-mail to if you want to join, or you can post something, preferably with a bit of a story post you would have done, and ask if you could jump in. From there, you just post when you can, and post whatever you can.

So it's nothing terribly complicated (no matter how much I made it sound like it is)--you just jump right on in. The Interactive Story Board can always use more regulars [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

And you psoted a thingy for "Saga of the 3rd War"--dang, never thought I'd see that pop up. How'd you like it? Are you going to read the others that go with it? How'd you find out about it? Just curious, being a major writer for the series now and all.

------------------
Check out the following stories:
The Neverending Story Thread(comedy *sci-fi/fantasy*)--never finished--

(in story order)
The Change (The Second War) (sci-fi/fantasy) --not finished/on hold--
The Crusade--tentative title (fantasy/sci-fi) --To Be Announced--
Saga of the 3rd War (fantasy/sci-fi) --finished--
The Shadows of Darkness (fantasy/sci-fi) --finished--
The Eternal War (fantasy/sci-fi) --not finished/IN PRODUCTION--
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2002-02-06, 3:41 AM #12
Just so you know, the story, "The Chronicle of Llyr", is up! Just go look at it and start a-postin'! Thanks! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
2002-02-06, 6:50 AM #13
Hmm. Well that clears the things a bit, thankx. I read Saga of the 3rd War in parts, jumping around the story... Not bad from what I read, but I didn't read enough to be able to criticise it. And my post was nothing but silly since the story needed a *ahem* strong + spiritual ending expressed in a short prhase. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------

↑ Up to the top!