Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsInteractive Story Board → Character Names - Help if You Can!
Character Names - Help if You Can!
2005-01-16, 8:09 AM #1
I've recently finished high school, and being as I'm unemployed, not yet at university and frankly, not a social "butterfly", I've resolved to take up that most daunting of all tasks, Writing My First Novel. It's called The Chronicles of Arthur Fabulosus, the first in a three-part trilogy, and I actually really enjoy the ideas I'm coming up with for once. I'd be much further into writing it, but unfortunately, I'm having trouble coming up with new and relatively original names for the main characters. Enter the beloved and supportive Massassi ISB crew ;)

The idea is that my main character, a somewhat dismal novelist called Arthur, finds himself in a land of fantasy not unlike Middle-Earth or Krondor or that sort of mythic setting. There, he is charged with becoming "chronicler" for a small group of heroes as they journey across the war-torn land to restore a semblance of peace. I'll say no more about the story now (the Internet is a pretty broad place, and if I went to the bookstore in a few months time and saw a copy of The Chronicles of Arthur Schmabulosus on the shelf, I think I'd slash my wrists), but suffice it to say I need to primarily name the characters of the heroic group, who are collectively titled The Guard.

At this point, I encountered a problem: going for the "that sounds like a cool name, it fits" school of writing, or for the Wachowski-themed "his name is a synonym for [obscure reference to the Bible, the French revolution and George Orwell] read backwards in Greek" sort of attention to detail. I'm kind of travelling down the midpoint of those two, I think. For example:

'Arthur Fabulosus'

My main character's name should be meticulously designed, but in reality it's quite simple. Fabulosus is an extension, or rather a derivation of the Latin fabula, which is of course a fable, or story. Stories, imagination and creativity are the recurring themes in the book. And Arthur? No kingly ambition here; it simply sounds close to author, which Arthur is.

Now, to your part. Here is a tentative list of the characters I need named, and a basic description of their nature. If I kind of had a draft name for them, it's also here. Maybe some of you can help me bounce around names for these characters; some of you who are in my situation, feel free to similarly post your characters and I'll see what I can do. Anyway, without further delay:

CHARACTERS:

The Male 'Lead': This character, the son of an important priest in the mythic land, is tasked with leading the Guard in their dangerous quest. I suppose the most timely example of his basic character structure is LoTR's Aragorn, though there are several basic differences between the two. He is of a regal nature, though he possesses no title, and because of that I thought of his name having an "a" in it. He is a natural leader, and in several key situations during the plot it is his conviction alone that sees the Guard continuing on with their task. His basic flaw is his youth - he is a young man at the journey's beginning, and when he first encounters loss and treachery, it very nearly destroys him. His placeholder name is currently Arturo Delyn (yes, from the 'Knight's Tail' thread), which worked because it is regal, but somehow the Spanish influence doesn't quite work for me.

The Female 'Lead': This character is a religious disciple who represents the priesthood in the quest. She is romantically linked with the Male Lead, and the story of their romance is key to the greater plot of the trilogy. She is a fighter, though, and her divine influence provides her with abilities that make her a useful addition to the Guard. Her unrelenting faith in her religion initially strengthens her, but she is forced to question and even doubt her faith eventually and this serves as her character journey.

The Male Lead's Brother: Younger than the Male Lead, his brother is nevertheless like to him in many ways, and accompanies the Guard on their mission. He is, however, also similarly in love with the Female Lead, and this leads to him making some gross errors in judgement in the later stages. This character is one of the most complex in the book - he makes some grave mistakes, as I said, but when he is given the opportunity to reconcile his actions he struggles with his own self-loathing and ability to forgive himself. In his heart, he doesn't really believe he deserves redemption, and this dominates his thoughts beyond measure. I was also looking for a slight resemblance between his name and the Male Lead's.

The Venerable Old Warrior: This character, though definitely past his prime, contributes his experience and skills to the Guard. A swordsman without equal, he serves as a mentor to the Male Lead and a father figure to the Female Lead, as well as passing comment on virtually all of the locations, people and events that the Guard encounter. He is the voice of experience and time, but without all of the regrets and woes that characters of this archetype usually bring with them. He does however bear the long scars of relentlessly battling against one of the land's most lethal villains (located below), and this can only lead to a climatic battle between the two.

The Charming Rogue: Of Asiatic descent, this character fulfills the need for the Guard to have a dashing, and oft-humorous character. He is skilled in the bow and martial arts, but unlike the normal silent, determined characters of this mould, he is a tremendous hit with the ladies, and there is a sub-plot with him and 'the one that got away' that should span all three books. Placeholder name is Shinto.

The Sorceror: One of the Guard's more unsavoury characters, this is a man who is skilled in manipulating the energies of the world around him to create matter, launch projectiles, etc. Though his abilities obviously mean that he is a hugely valuable addition to the group, the Sorceror's personality constitutes a sufficiently apt drawback. Not simply arrogant, the Sorceror actually believes on a fundamental level that his powers elevate him to a level above "conventional" society: he is somehow more than those around him because of his abilities. This represents a danger to the Guard, and he is more akin to a wild beast they let loose in battle than a contributing member of the team. His interactions with religion through the Female Lead are tenuous, as you would expect, and he is a thoroughly entertaining character. Placeholder name is Mejuc Arda.

The Dread Knight: The last character I'd like to try to name now, also one of my favourites. Though originally an over-zealous swordsman in service to his countrymen, the Dread Knight fought with such intensity and power that none of his enemies' blows were a match for him, lethal wounds though they were. Instantly identifiable by his distinctive black suit of armour, little is initially known about him, apart from legendry: some claim his skin is iron, fending off the seemingly deadly hits he takes; others claim he has been killed many times, and it is his force of will alone that holds his form together. He and the Venerable Old Warrior are lifelong enemies, the latter having known the former since before he became a tool of absolute evil. Placeholder name is Sir Morrigan - I do like this name, but am uncertain as to whether it is suitably ominous for his character. Let me know!
The Last True Evil - consistent nobody in the Discussion Forum since 1998
2005-01-16, 10:49 AM #2
The Dread Knight's name is...

WALTER MOSSBERG!
2005-01-16, 11:04 AM #3
Noah Harthson - The Male Lead

Jacob Harthson - The Male Lead's Brother

Lordwig Gates - The Sorceror

Sir Shastabons - The Venerable Old Warrior

Diston - The Charming Rogue

Sir Farloth - The Dread Knight
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-17, 1:06 PM #4
This site should be helpful. If you're not going to go as far as to create your own language for the names to come from, this site apparently has 20,000 names from 50-ish cultures. My suggestion would be to pick a culture from the site to correspond to each of the cultures in your world, to give each of them a unique "feel".

I find that having a name for the character goes a long way in fleshing out the character's personality and place in the story.

Good luck.
So sayest the Writer of Silly Things!

↑ Up to the top!