Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsMusic Discussion and Showcase → Sound Room Plans
Sound Room Plans
2004-02-24, 3:45 PM #1
Ok, here's the deal. I have a basement that is just plain concrete floor, walls, with the existing main floor/basement ceiling made of 2x8 (I think) and plywood.. bla bla bla...
ANYWAYS, I wanted to convert an end of the basement (its quite large) to a sound room/recording studio type area. I did some research and for what my budget allows, I came up with this:
[http://67.87.115.203:81/brad_s/bsplans01.jpg]
The purpose would be, to create a room that was non-echoy, and also one that let very little sound out to the rest of the house (drums/guitars)
If you guys know anything about this stuff, and wanna help me out with ideas, please post!

------------------
"Everyone Dies..."
-Fett

My Website
Brad's Highschool Level
Unfinished Levels For Download
"Everyone Dies..."
-Fett

My Website
Brad's Highschool Level
2004-02-24, 7:23 PM #2
Um... never tried anything like that... looks like a good plan. Definitely let me know how it works out though cause I WANT to do something like that.

------------------
please
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-02-25, 5:41 AM #3
Very nice plan, actually. Let me know how it turns out, as it looks spot on. Although I'm not conviced that this plan would be all that effective in reducing echo.
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2004-02-25, 1:00 PM #4
Wouldn't covering the walls with carpet or foam eliminate any echo problems?

(In addition to what you already have planned)

------------------
"I am downright amazed at what I can destroy with just a hammer."
-Atom and His Package
2004-02-25, 1:18 PM #5
I forgot to mention that the new wall will be set 4 inches inside the existing wall which means that the combination of the special insulation and the air space should take down echoing..

------------------
"Everyone Dies..."
-Fett

My Website
Brad's Highschool Level
"Everyone Dies..."
-Fett

My Website
Brad's Highschool Level
2004-02-25, 3:18 PM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brad S:
I forgot to mention that the new wall will be set 4 inches inside the existing wall which means that the combination of the special insulation and the air space should take down echoing..

</font>

Yes, but if that doesn't work, like someone else said, just hang up carpets and there are mats you can buy and stuff from the walls.

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-02-25, 3:32 PM #7
You definitely need some sound foam for the walls. You can get it in various places, I don't know any offhand except for www.musiciansfriend.com. You don't need to cover all the surfaces with it, just key areas. I'm sure Google would help you find sites containing that info. Hanging carpet on the walls is NOT good enough if you want it to sound good.

The studio I just recorded at was in a basement with a concrete floor. The floor was carpeted with very low pile carpet. I'd say the room was about 15x30 feet in dimension. Not very big, but it wasn't cramped either. Only one corner was covered in sound foam, and then another large piece was in the joint of the upper hand corner. The recording was done in the padded area, which ran into a mixer and through a G5 running ProTools. They also had tons of sound equipment, I'm not sure of everything they had. IT sounded pretty damn good though.

↑ Up to the top!